• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

For a second rig... CJ7,YJ, or 2dr XJ

Only in a XJ

NAXJA Forum User
Just curious...

I obviously already have an XJ and so my plan is to give it to the wife for wheeling and snow days and will be getting myself a new rig in early summer.... Truthfully the reason I got the XJ was the room for the family and the over all bang for your buck... But now that I have one I can get a smaller not so family friendly rig...

I'm really set on getting a CJ7 4.0 fuel inj convered or a 4.0 YJ for the soft top and frame..not a big fan of the XJ unibody... I can't afford a 4.0 TJ hense why its not on the list.....

BUT....

I would also like to get a late model 97+ 2dr XJ, but they are not very common and are pretty pricy compared to the 4drs.... Hard to justify paying more for an XJ just because it is cooler looking with no real advantages over the 4dr...

Was just wondering what you guys think...

Ive heard plenty of horror stories about certain year YJ's - I think some of them got the worst of everything. Personally, I would save up for a TJ. Not sure what your budget is, but it seems like I find one every once in a while that is reasonable, aka: a lot less than 8K. Come to think of it, A YJ will be alot cheaper either way. I have an XJ and a TJ, and I LOVE the TJ in the summer - its all I drive.

too radical of a mod... Was thinkin bout adding a full roof sliding rag top though...

That's what I meant. Someone posted a pic a while back of a green XJ with a tonneu style cover on his chopped roof. Then do the easy door removal mod. and you'll have a cool set up. And won't look like everything else out that weekend :thumbup:

I got my 97 TJ as a trade for my 98 XJ with a blown motor!!! hehe. Granted, the TJ was pretty rough when i got it, but here she is now...

The deals are out there from time to time... especially when you find a guy that just had twins or something... the guy i got mine from had 3 kids, and no second car. Ive got 1 kid, and my fiance has an XJ, and I also have a f150 with the extended cab... but again, the deals are out there. just save your mula.

I got my 97 TJ as a trade for my 98 XJ with a blown motor!!! hehe. Granted, the TJ was pretty rough when i got it, but here she is now...

The deals are out there from time to time... especially when you find a guy that just had twins or something... the guy i got mine from had 3 kids, and no second car. Ive got 1 kid, and my fiance has an XJ, and I also have a f150 with the extended cab... but again, the deals are out there. just save your mula.

Don't you have about 200k+ on that though?

I say a CJ7, round headlights... better look
Every exterior body part can be interchanged with Yj parts including armor, tops, etc.
Once the engine dies (which it will) put a 4.0 - ax-15 - N231 combo in. Do the 8.8 hp 30 swap, and put 2 and a half inch springs in.

Best bang for your buck IMO...Other than chopping a 2 door

Last edited:
id go with the yj personally. get one with the fuel inject ho 4.0 and you can always do the cj radiator support conversion if you want the round headlights there is a lot of parts transfer for the yj because it can use tj and cj stuff. the leafsprings are a downside but thats easy to get rid off using a kit and the tj interiors are way nicer but if you are using it for a wheeling rig the yj is less maint intensive and offers more room.

Why does it have to be the J brand? Get a Sammi, ride the ATV trails. :D

Not at all Dutch. I'm surprised you did not bring them up. The ATV comment was taken directly from a trail report on another board.

Which still begs the question: Why not consider other brands?

Same question I'm asking myself.

I'm looking more and more at what happened to my other rig and thinking of selling my truck (mainly to get rid of the payment), keeping my Jeep on 33's and DD friendly, and building a Sammi for my crazy rig. I'd be able to tow the sammi with my XJ if need be until I get my diesel truck.

Alot of my resistance to building my XJ stems from the issue of having to reinforce the unibody and the hassle of building the cage. its a lot easier to build a cage in something like a Sammi or Wrangler where there isn't a roof to deal with.

Back