• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

For a good pot of chili...

So what would "chili" end up having in it, if it weren't "chili con carne" or chili con carne y frijoles"?
I have no clue, but it would probably be popular in San Fransisco, and it would have tofu added to it.

(And it would be GROSS)

?!?

So what would "chili" end up having in it, if it weren't "chili con carne" or chili con carne y frijoles"?

I kindof agree. I see and hear chili con carne and understand that as "chili with meat" so therefore plain chili is w/o meat. So does that mean traditionally chili has no meat? Or what is a traditional chili? In my opinion the beef to beans ratio should be dependent on the use. If it's a stand alone meal/snack/topping: beans are OK. If it's a meal on its own it should be fewer beans and more meats.

Edit: Another good use is to make meat only chili and split it up. Once the meat and such has thickened up, if someone wants its w/ beans for snacking, you can mix it together for a cup of chili w/ beans. But if someone wants it for snacking you can layer it with refried beans and make a mean dipping sauce.

Last edited:
I kindof agree. I see and hear chili con carne and understand that as "chili with meat" so therefore plain chili is w/o meat. So does that mean traditionally chili has no meat? Or what is a traditional chili? In my opinion the beef to beans ratio should be dependent on the use. If it's a stand alone meal/snack/topping: beans are OK. If it's a meal on its own it should be fewer beans and more meats.

I figure meat to beans should be about 50/50 by weight, and that's what it usually works out to (more or less) for me.

I'm not sure whether I prefer crumbled hamburder or finely cubed steak for the beef bit tho - both have their merits. Crumble the sausage (or slice it relatively thin - say, 1/8"-1/4" from the links - or so) and bacon; well, bacon improves anything with meat in it. Look it up - I think bacon is first on the Periodic Table of Awesome. Therefore, bacon is the basic building block of awesome (just as hydrogen is the basic building block of the Universe.)

My younger son is out camping with his new g/f and her family this week-end - I had to remind him that bacon has to be available in the provisions and eaten with at least one meal while camping, per Federal law (or, at least, Man Laws.)

But, "beans only" chili (or worse - "vegetarian chili!") is for wussies that just can't handle real food. "Vegetables are what food eats." I owe my physique to a strict diet of vegetarians...

"I'm feeling nauseous and I have a headache. I think that vegetable soup we had for lunch had beef broth in it."
"Your body's kickin' back ... broth? You're a manly man, aren't you?"

Both ground and cubed beef are good, even better is a combination of them. Even better than beef is (as I said before) venison. Venison makes some mean chili, and to keep it short: venison makes mean everything else (jerky, steaks, etc etc). There are many other meats I could point out merits for in chili.. but venison is one of the better ones in my opinion.

Both ground and cubed beef are good, even better is a combination of them. Even better than beef is (as I said before) venison. Venison makes some mean chili, and to keep it short: venison makes mean everything else (jerky, steaks, etc etc). There are many other meats I could point out merits for in chili.. but venison is one of the better ones in my opinion.

Believe me, I know all about venison! It's just a pain to try to hunt around here, and I haven't found anywhere that sells game meats locally yet (I'd also not mind getting buffalo - makes killer burgers, especially when you soak them in a good dark beer...)

Growing up, I'd eat just about anything that walked, crawled, crept, swum, or flew. Highlight of my summer would be when my uncle Bob would have his 2-3-year "turtle roast".

He'd go fishing, and in addition to the fish he'd end up catching leatherback river turtle. Not one to waste, he'd clean them and take them home as well - and put them in the freezer until he had enough (a dozen or so) for a good roast. Pull the belly shell back off, spice and stuff, and pour a beer in there. Put the belly shell back on, set into a bed of coals, and cover. Let roast for 3-4 hours.

Pull them back out, and you've got roast turtle meat in its own serving bowl! I miss that...

I learned from my Mexican cousins that what we know (and likely shortened to) as 'chili' is known as 'chili con carne', which is just a dish called 'chiles with meat'. The only 'chili' or 'chile' they've ever known about just referred to the peppers.

I think I'm gonna make Chili tonight.

Mine will have beans though. My dad always made it that way when I was a kid, so thats how I'm used to having it.

Beans, no beans; it's all a matter of taste, ingredients on hand, and budget. You can make a much larger batch for less cost by adding beans. Great protein source too.

For those who can't handle the habanero/scotch bonnet pepper heat, add a whole one without puncturing or otherwise breaking the skin. Adds great flavor without all of the heat.

NB: Crisp up a batch of steak fries. Layer with fries - shredded pepperjack - chili - more shredded pepperjack.

Bitchinest batch of chili cheese fries I've had in years...

For those of you who (like me, unfortunately) love the flavour but can't eat the flesh of the pepper (hot sauce doesn't bother me tho - I wonder why?) you can get empty tea bags from many coffee/tea houses. Chop up a pepper or two, close the bag, crush gently to start releasing the flavour. It's easy to pick out the pepper bag and throw it back in the pot, or toss it if you've had enough of the stuff. For whatever reason... Also work well in flavouring soup stock.

... I'd probably use stewed, but I can't stand the texture of tomatoes. Therefore, sauce and paste. I only use enough water to get the rest out of the can, and usually end up simmering it off.
I'm the same way, but rather than tomato sauce I use canned, crushed tomatoes.

Dave

I never thought to put Bacon in Chili wait til XJ&CHZ4ME hears about this! :D

Back