• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Flat towing question

nokuout

NAXJA Forum User
Just recently got a tow bar and flat towed my xj for the first time. When turning, the wheels track, but when straightening the tow vehicle, the xj's wheels go full turn and don't come back straight.

Completely lost with why. Anyone have ideas??? Help???

How much castor does the MJ have? Sounds like their might not be enough for it to self center. How does it drive normally? Is the steering really light? Wander a lot?

Steering is light. Doesn't seem to wander. Not sure how much castor is in it. Never had this problem with other vehicles. Driving me crazy.

How much caster should be in it? Vehicle is 92 xj. 6" lift. 33's.

Thanks. Have it at a shop now trying to get caster adjusted. Also found that it has no steering stabilizer on it. Going to install one back on it.

Not sure how much caster they can put back in it. Guess I'll know tomorrow night.

6" long arm Y link lift. Deaver progressive rate coil springs. Bilstein 7100 remote reservoir shocks. Dana 30 with detroit soft locker in front.

It was sig ep mock's old xj from on here. Bought it a few months ago.

I'm still betting on castor.

I would as well.

if the upper arms are adjustable you can change caster there, but you'll do it at the expense of pinion angle. The proper way is to cut and rotate the inners c's and reweld them to the tubes.

Update. Everyone was right. Castor was at 0. They adjusted to 4.5* Flat towed it home tonight. Worked perfectly. Wouldn't have known to suggest castor without the help here.
Thanks!

Not yet :looney: Haven't driven on the freeway yet though. If it becomes an issue, I will change the driveline to dual ujoints in the front to help with the angle.

To be honest, I'm just happy knowing I can tow without dragging the jeep with wheels sideways. LOL.

At 50 mph, no vibration.

Back