• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Flat Deck or Beavertail?

Flat Deck or Beavertail, what say you?

• Beavertail

Votes: 18 51.4%
  • Flat Deck

Votes: 17 48.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

RCman

NAXJA Forum User
Time for me to buy a trailer.
I've been shopping around and I'm not sure if I want a beavertail or not. I've always used trailers that are flat decked. However I can see where the tail could have it advantages.
The price is the same, so that isn't a factor.

The trailer I'm looking at has a 3' beavertail.
So, on the 18' length I'm going to go with at it would be a 15' flat deck with a 3' tail.

I might end up with the beavertail anyway if the flat deck can't be had in a short number of weeks. Awaiting a call back in the morning. Just trying to come up with a solid answer on which one I'd like.

So, what do you guys think? If you had the choice, what would you chose?

I'm hoping I can chase down a trailer in the next few months. The only reason I know of for a beavertail, or a dovetail, would be to load something that was low slung. Otherwise, I'd prefer a flat deck. Besides, drop tails tend to drag at the most inopportune times.

I'm hoping I can chase down a trailer in the next few months. The only reason I know of for a beavertail, or a dovetail, would be to load something that was low slung. Otherwise, I'd prefer a flat deck. Besides, drop tails tend to drag at the most inopportune times.
Exactly my thoughts and why I'm up in the air about it.
While I can always "get creative" about loading things with awful break over angles, it would be nice to not even have to think about it.
Then again, most places around here aren't really "trailer friendly" as far as terrain goes.

Tough call. I'd have to say go with the droop tail just for the convenience of loading your jeep without using ramps.

mines a beavertail and the only complaint i have is that the ramps store under the beaver and drag sometimes but i never use them so im not worried

id go beavertail again just relocate the ramps to the front

I always thought that when I bought one, I'd get a flat deck. That is until I fell into a supurb deal on a 16ft dovetail. It's got a full rear 5' ramp on it. It's heavy, and catches a little bit of wind on the highway. I've not had the Jeep on it yet, just small loads. I'm thinking that the ramp won't catch as much wind when the Jeep is on the trailer. Either way, for no more than I have in the deal, I'm happy with it.

I own both and for the ease of loading the XJ w/o ramps it is nice to use my 18" w/ 2" beaver tail, it is just easy to not mess w/ the ramps. My flat deck trailers are great b/c of the versatility of them, but they are a bit higher for loading a rig on. I use my trailer for more then just hauling my rigs on, they get used very often around the farms, the draw back on the beaver tail for me is the uneven loading ara on the rear of the trailer, and when loading pallets of seed or feed it is a pain in the ass to have to shove everything past the beaver tail so that it rides flat and gets up in between the fenders.. just my $.02

Bill, my dovetail has come in handy for loading some lower vehicles in the two years I have had it. I definitely made the same considerations when I bought my trailer and am glad I ultimately went with the dovetail.

I would definely recommend the dove tail if the trailers main purpose is going to be hauling your jeep. My Current and previous trailer both had dove tails but they had much differnt drops. The prevoius trailer had a bigger drop on the dove tail and was no problem loading the jeep (4.5" lift and 35's). The new trailer hardly has a dove tail at all, this requires me to use the ramps. Using ramps is a pain in the butt compared to the ease of driving on an off the trailer directly.

jim

Just heard back from the dealer.
Being as I want a 10k GVW, either trailer is going to be ~3 week lead time.

I'm really leaning toward the flat deck. Putting things such as lumber and tractors on it would be way nicer than dealing with the slop of the beavertail. Also the clearance in the back is much greater which will help entering my driveway. I'm not worried about ramps, they pull out from the back just like most of the trailers I've used in the past so it isn't much of a big deal.

In the event I need to load a low slung car, I can always "get creative."

I've still got the night to think it over, but I've got to move forward with one or the other pretty quick of I won't have the trailer in time for when I need it.

I own both and for the ease of loading the XJ w/o ramps it is nice to use my 18" w/ 2" beaver tail, it is just easy to not mess w/ the ramps. My flat deck trailers are great b/c of the versatility of them, but they are a bit higher for loading a rig on. I use my trailer for more then just hauling my rigs on, they get used very often around the farms, the draw back on the beaver tail for me is the uneven loading ara on the rear of the trailer, and when loading pallets of seed or feed it is a pain in the ass to have to shove everything past the beaver tail so that it rides flat and gets up in between the fenders.. just my $.02
Tyler, something that might consider to get a flat deck would be to build a wedge that is the exact reverse of the beavertail. I've even seen some nifty equipment trailers with a hinge at the intersection, the deck flips up with pinned stand-offs to support the now-flat deck.

bill, it sounds like you should get the dovetail. it will make transporting your next project a lot easier.

Tyler, something that might consider to get a flat deck would be to build a wedge that is the exact reverse of the beavertail. I've even seen some nifty equipment trailers with a hinge at the intersection, the deck flips up with pinned stand-offs to support the now-flat deck.
This is known as a convertible dovetail, and will be my next trailer purchase as I use mine for business and pleasure, flat deck when you need it, dove when you want. Not as convenient as a true dove, but mostly the best of both worlds.

I always thought that when I bought one, I'd get a flat deck. That is until I fell into a supurb deal on a 16ft dovetail. It's got a full rear 5' ramp on it. It's heavy, and catches a little bit of wind on the highway. I've not had the Jeep on it yet, just small loads. I'm thinking that the ramp won't catch as much wind when the Jeep is on the trailer. Either way, for no more than I have in the deal, I'm happy with it.

Here's the wind-catcher I was refering to.

100_7910.jpg

So the poll wasn't very helpful with a tie 10 to 10. :laugh:

I appreciate the comments. After some serious debate I ended up ordering the flat deck. It'll be nicer when hauling things that are not vehicles.

18', 10K GVW, dual brakes, LEDs, 2"x10" pressure treated wood deck, slide in ramps, etc. It should be very nice trailer.

Mike, that's one thing I won't have is that windcatcher back there. I can see that for a landscaping type of trailer, or for relatively local use. I'm anticipating a lot of highway miles, and between loss of mpg and the windcatcher effect, no.

Mike, that's one thing I won't have is that windcatcher back there. I can see that for a landscaping type of trailer, or for relatively local use. I'm anticipating a lot of highway miles, and between loss of mpg and the windcatcher effect, no.

I can understand that......
I've not had the Jeep on there yet so, I'm anxious to see if I can still feel the wind. I'd like to think that at the very least it'll be diminished a bit with the Jeep on it. This weekend I'll have the Jeep on there for the Redbird trip so, I'll know shortly.

I've only got around $300 in the whole thing and that includes the new rim/tire I bought for a spare. If it gets to the point that I'm using it a whole lot on the highway, I may consider doing something different for the ramp if it's a big issue.

Back