• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

flare options

What about the CLEAN trim

Alright, I'm in the same boat on the fender flare (have the 35s in the garage waiting to go)!!!!

What about trimming the bottom half of the stock flares off and removing the sheet metal to match?? I think it looks pretty clean. Isn't the Skyjacker XJ running 35x13.50 Krawlers like this? I've never seen it on a trail, but I assume it gets wheeled.

http://www.off-road.com/jeep/events/2005moab/tuesday.html

I suggest TJ Sahara flares. They aren't that expensive and cover a decent amount. BW are nice, but they are expensive and it will hurt alot when you rip them off wheeling. Anyone selling some, let me know. :laugh3:

I have a 2 dr XJ, but could make them work. If not, screw it, I'm full width hp44/9" and cops so far are leaving me alone. :laugh3:

Troy

I want TJ flares at some point but it's not high on the list right now. This is what I ended up doing with a set of pre 97 flares on my 98:
flares001.jpg

flares002.jpg

flares003.jpg

JONNYD said:
Rusty's are perfect for 32-33" tires, but not bigger. If you ever go to 35's, you will want the bushwackers. The rusty's flares are now made from a poured urethane. They are actually really flexible (contrary to earlier flares they made), and you can remove a good deal of sheet metal. They rivet on, and installation was pretty simple (about 3 hours for 2 of us drinking beer). I have them on my '01 xj, and with 33x12.5x15's on 15x8 rims with 4" bs, the tire is right at the edge of the flare (maybe sticks out a 1/4" at most) in the front. I swapped in an 8.8 in the rear (narrower) and they sit just inside the edge. Perfect for 33's, no good for 35's.

Can you post pics of your Rusty's flares?

Thanks.

I have 6" of lift with 35's and TJ flares, look sweet and take a serious beating. I used pop rivets on mine simple instal and havn't lost one yet. pm me an email addy and I can send pics.

Hey, JONNYD, what year is your XJ? I was wondering how you made the flares fit with the stock bumper end caps from the 98+ XJ'S. Did you trim them or do you have an aftermarket bumper? I couldnt tell from the pics. Specifically the rear....

mknack said:
Hey, JONNYD, what year is your XJ? I was wondering how you made the flares fit with the stock bumper end caps from the 98+ XJ'S. Did you trim them or do you have an aftermarket bumper? I couldnt tell from the pics. Specifically the rear....

My XJ is a 2001. My front bumper is a JCRoffroad stage 3. The flares in the front come right down to the edge of the fender, and i would think they would work with stock front bumper caps. In the rear I had to cut about 3-4 inches from the stock rear bumper endcaps. I hope to replace these with soemthing steel when I do a rear bumper, so I wasnt really concerned about cutting them. I have seen others remove the endcaps completely in the rear, but by just cutting them I think it maintains a clean look. Cutting the endcaps sucks, they are a very waxy plastic and will melt instead of cut, be careful. I removed about 2.5" to start, then kept test-fitting the flare and removing material until it fit well.

I went with Bushwhackers because the police officer lady told me I would owe her $250 if i didn't cover up my "aggressive" tires. TJ Flares would have worked and been WAY cheaper, but the Bushwhackers work well with 35's. I got a little happy with the sawz-all and cut more than recommended. Ehh, it happens. I've run them into a few things and haven't ripped anything off yet.

If it's not a legal/width issue, check out CKH550's post or DPGoffroad.com. They did clean trims with the rubber lining that gives great clearance.

Thanks for the info, Im trying to figure out what to do without having to buy a new rear bumper right away. A trimming I will go then..................

JONNYD said:
Rusty's are perfect for 32-33" tires, but not bigger. If you ever go to 35's, you will want the bushwackers. The rusty's flares are now made from a poured urethane. They are actually really flexible (contrary to earlier flares they made), and you can remove a good deal of sheet metal. They rivet on, and installation was pretty simple (about 3 hours for 2 of us drinking beer). I have them on my '01 xj, and with 33x12.5x15's on 15x8 rims with 4" bs, the tire is right at the edge of the flare (maybe sticks out a 1/4" at most) in the front. I swapped in an 8.8 in the rear (narrower) and they sit just inside the edge. Perfect for 33's, no good for 35's.
why are they no good for 35's?

helix said:
Im kinda undecided on what do do about my flares. i currently dont have any and i was thinking bushwackers. i really dont want the stock flares and i want a real clean look, i dont want to trim too much. ive got the rustys 3" kit that sits round 5-5.5. im also planning some 32s. What do you guys think?

You dont want to trim, and your leaning towards bushwackers?

JONNYD said:
Opening may be too small....35's wouldnt stuff well. The opening on bushwackers are wider, so 35's fit better.
If a 33x12.5 will work good, why wouldnt a 35x12.5 work. I understand that they are different heights, but if you have enough clearance to run and stuff a 35, why would it be any different than a 33?

What would you have to deffinatly trim to fit the bushwackers. i dont like trimming.

better yet, anyone got a good write up they made?

Back