• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Fire Wood Collection Permit

Chase2

NAXJA Forum User
Sorry if this is in the wrong spot and it is off the xj topic but do any NAXJA members have a fire wood collection permit? I've tried looking for some rules and regulations but to no luck. Now I am sure you cant go into the woods and just start chopping down pines but my biggest concern is getting popped for taking to much! How do they regulate this? Even better question has anybody even heard of this before because this was news to until about a week ago. Any help is a big help thanks! :patriot:

I get a permit every year at the discovery center for 2 chords. They will have a map of the areas they are currently clearing and are allowing to remove wood. Follow the rules VERY closely because I have had rangers pull me over multiple times to check my tags. I had one tag posted but in the wrong spot on the trailer and they got all bent out of shape. Also make sure you are filing out the cards and paperwork correctly. They went through my stuff like I was smuggling crack. The biggest frusturation is the rarity of quality wood. I jump through all the hoops and try my best to follow all the stupid rules then spend an entire weekend collecting and hauling crappy pine. It's SUPER rare to find them clearing oak or any other hard wood. When they do, the word gets out and the clearing areas look like Disneyland on memorial weekend. Make sure you also have a quality chain saw because they usually just fall the trees and leave. Rarely do they cut them into rounds of any kind. They may chop it down into 4-6' chunks at best. What made me go CRAZY this year is that they banned the use of chain saws in the area they were clearing then left the rounds close to 6' long and well over 100's of lbs a pop. WTF!!!! How are we supposed to clear the wood when each piece ways twice as much as me and I CAN'T use a chain saw. Sorry, done with rant. Long story short, I had to buy two chords this year which I did not budget for. It SUCKED!

Last edited:
You can buy a permit at lytle creek ranger station. I believe it is closest to you. I buy one every year. There is a whole packet that gives you all the rules.

The biggest frusturation is the rarity of quality wood. I jump through all the hoops and try my best to follow all the stupid rules then spend an entire weekend collecting and hauling crappy pine. It's SUPER rare to find them clearing oak or any other hard wood.

Hate to say it, but our junk wood back here is beech or birch. Average firewood is oak and maple. The good stuff is hickory, cherry. All the pine goes to the pulp mills for toilet paper and towels. No one even thinks of burning that crap.

I used to cut and burn 5 full cords of wood a year. I switched to pellets 5 years ago, love it.

David Bricker / SYR

Thanks for the pointers gentlemen! Now I guess my biggest concern is taking two much. Whats the best to measure a cord in the woods? Is there some trick like 2/3s of your truck bed is just about a cord? I'm a complete rookie when it comes to this.

A cord is a stack of wood is 4'Wx4'Hx8'L or 128 cu. ft. Figure out the volume of your truck bed and go from there.

You would have to have one huge truck to fit a full chord in it's bed. A 1/2 ton truck with a 6' bed filled to the top of the bed and then piled up a tad above that is about 1/2 a chord. An F250 with an 8' bed with 4' stakes on the side filled to the top of the stakes is 1 chord. That's a lot of wood to haul out of the forest on poorly maintained fire roads. I usually use my neighbors 1/2 ton truck with a 6' bed and fill it 4 times for a total of 2 chords. That usually takes me two full days.

So you can't just collect dead wood from fallen trees?

You can, but you need a clearly displayed permit with the correct paperwork attached. It is usually quite difficult to find enough good dead wood just laying around to fill up 2 chords. I guess if there was a nice sized oak just laying on the ground and the area was cleared for chain saw use then have at it, but the odds of finding any hard wood that is dry but not rotten and visible from any trail is quite rare. If it's not visible from a trail then you have to haul all the wood all the way back to your truck. I have tried that. Wont do that again. If it's not right off the road then it's not worth it. Some guys just plow their own path to the fire wood but if forest service shows up (which they will if they hear you runnning a chain saw) and they find you WAY off the beaten path with your truck then be prepared for a good ticket. They do not mess around when it comes to removing anything from the national forest or making your own trails. If your just trying to collect enough wood for your camp fire at your yellow post site then I'm doubtful anyone would care; but don't quote me on that.

Last edited:
Any type of collecting is forbidden unless you have a permit. The permit has tags good for 1/4 cord each. You tag the amount of would with the correct number of tags. I usually keep a staple gun in the truck for this. This past season was bullshit. Every **** and their mother was there every weekend collecting and half of those pissants were selling it. I cut for fuelwood. There is alot of oak in the beginning of season and then dwindles down to nothing by the end. It comes to a point where you are literally humping wood up or down the mountain. I usually go for 4 cords a year. 3 hard and 1 soft. I started late this past season which made it more of a bitch to locate and haul.

Back