• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Finished most of my comanche suspension

dude i cant beleive you are finding deals like that. thats rediculos. i need that but im in CT. i would buy that imediatly. but bump steer is easy to understand. think about it like this. if you have a rod connected at one end to something stationary, then you can spin that rod around and it will draw a circle. the same thing is happening with your drag link when the suspension cycles, but ofcourse its not a complete circle. even though it only moves a little bit, its still cycling in an arc on your steering knuckle. that arc is enough to change the distance between the pitman arm and knuckle at compression, so that means the knuckle will be pushed out and turn both wheels to the right. the only way to fix it is to make the drag link and tie rod at the same angle.
the same thing happens with the track bar. when the suspension compresses, the track bar makes the axle move to the right a little. if the drag link is at the same angle as the track bar, then no bump steer will happen.
ive seen some setups where the drag link and tie rod are completely paralell, but i dont know what their track bar set up is, or they must have a triangulated 3 or 4 linked front end. otherwise they would have horrible bump steer as well

Stupid fast, we have to continue this conversation...but i am planning on driving up north in 4 or 5 months. If you want to pay for travel of a vehicle...let me know.

i believe this comanche is not running...but i think it just may need change of fluids and a battery.

My track bar is a rustys adjustable track bar so its a strange " _|--" shape. I'll take a pic of the steering setup and post it. Ya'll tell me what you think.

-Alex

i dont have much experiance around all of this. i have been reading like crazy since the begining of the summer when i got introduced to wheeling. i feel gay to say that the only real time experiance i have on trucks that i have done myself is floor pan/rust repair and a head gasket job on an 88 toyota. i do know a lot of my stuff though and i dont give out info unless i know it to be true. i just havent got the resorces to acctually put all my knowlege to use on my own truck yet. but i will tell you everything that i know if you need to know it

Alex said:
I was looking at the teraflex knuckles with the 1 ton tie rod, drag link, and rod ends. It totalled up to 538 bucks or something from windrock offroad. I thought to myself, surely i can figure out my own design...but then again, i know more about the suspension aspect of lifts, rather than steering geometry...Maybe itd be better if i went ahead with a kit...

I saw that article with the red mj btw...i'll look into tnt as well.

-alex

Alex,

Rig looks good, saw this on on jeeptalk too.

You going to be at the FL4WD camp out next month? IF so I will have my XJ there with the TNT arms and Tera steering, come by and take a look.
I persoanly like the Tera knuckle and figure the cost Vs the cost of the different options, it was worth it for me to get a true crossover highsteer. Or you could get the knuckle and build your own linkage.

Yeah im pickin up a 2wd 4 banger MJ in Ga for $600, Then the Engine tranny and t-case from my 92xj are goin in it. I've been without a jeep to long

p1atinum, wheres the campout going to be? id like to make it there. Did you order the whole teraflex kit.?? im interested. Im debating between the tnt long arms or the steering first. what do you think?

Dracula...i got some great deals goin on down here if your interested. 6 cyl manche, 300 bucks with the 44 rear. 4 wheel drive...ready to go. needs a lift and maybe some engine work.

-alex

Back