• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Finally getting around to installing my lift

replace that bolt now, re springs are known for shearing/bending the centerpins they use. Use a grade 8 and grind the head to a circle

rust bucket xj said:
replace that bolt now, re springs are known for shearing/bending the centerpins they use.
Do you have anything to back that up? That's the first I recall hearing that one.

Yucca-Man said:
Do you have anything to back that up? That's the first I recall hearing that one.
A bunch of guys over on Jeepin have had a problem s-shaping the re pins, and a few have flat out snapped off.

Most of them never noticed there was anything wrong until someone was following them and said you got alot of axle wrap, they looked into it, went to solve it and had trouble getting the pins out and they came out as S's

http://jeepin.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=014236;p=2

scroll down on that page, Dub had some probs with RE springs wrapping to make them centerpins purdy. Maybe its just re springs wrap so much for being so stiffer as everyone says :rolleyes:

I'd check ya packs anyway, never had that problem with 4 of them i have replaced on my packs and i beat the **** out of them, I just started using grade 8 bolts and rounding the heads they work good

shock3.jpg

Now how do you get that in there?
shock.jpg

shock2.jpg

loop said:
looks like you need new u-bolts....good luck
ok....

i took the center pin out and ran it in a grinder till the head was small enough to fit...

as for rounding out the Gr8 Bolt, im not so sure on that one...
la43d

C-Clamps are your friend

Last edited:
Well I got the rear done. I think I did a pretty good job on it, just for working on it during my two hour lunch breaks from school.

Before:
IMG_0007.jpg

After:
tilt1.jpg

I think I like the roadster look.

Tonight I will just do all of the front.

hellz yeah gotta love the mid lift phase, i did the rear of my girls with dak packs in 2 hours and the front in 2.... You get better with each lift you install, and as you get tools piled up you never thought you'd need

you can also cut the tips of the bar pins a little bit so that they'll start going in. I installed BPE's at the same time, and a press did the job in 5 minutes for all four shocks.

This is not really off topic...but I have a question about those BPEs...Im going to attempt to use my rear sway bar mounts...but I might grab some BPEs anyway. Why do they come with nylon nuts too..? Dont they just screw into the existing shock holes??? I was just curious about that. Not a whole lot of explaining how they are attached to the jeep. Thanks

Justin

Well here she is all said and done, it took longer then I excpeted due to some unwanted obstacles.

Full lift
lift1.jpg

Just the Rear
tilt.jpg

And here are some of me just going to a local parking lot and seeing it in some pathetic action. Ahhh just seeing all I did makes me smile and only want more lift.
urbanflex2.jpg

urbanflex.jpg

I only get vibes that are pretty noticable from 25mph-35mph after that they stop. However in the rear when I go over like a rough road I hear a rattling, like the rear shocks arent tightened so I have to look. And in the front, there comes a sound of some knocking only when i press the gas hard or hit the brakes hard. I am actually pretty happy with the ride of the shocks, and tomorrow I get some meat on those wheels.

Back