• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Fender trimming

i think what lowrange might have been hinting at... correct me if im wrong... is that some mods you think might be cool at the time really arent worth the time and money you spent on them. sometimes it takes some one to question your choices to show that maybe it wasnt the best idea... sometimes it takes someone to tell you you are being dumb so you dont break something on the trail and hurt someone... i welcome the criticism... saves me lots of money!

cgmrdc said:
i think what lowrange might have been hinting at... correct me if im wrong... is that some mods you think might be cool at the time really arent worth the time and money you spent on them. sometimes it takes some one to question your choices to show that maybe it wasnt the best idea... sometimes it takes someone to tell you you are being dumb so you dont break something on the trail and hurt someone... i welcome the criticism... saves me lots of money!

Something like that... Thats what this joint is for... critisizm to save you time and money and embarassment.

BADaXJ said:
you guys can bash my XJ all you want but keep in mind that everyone has a different version of wheeling. like i said earlier this week on a similar topic, my jeep has plenty of bells and whistles and they are not all necissary but they all have a specific purpose. not sure how you guys wheel but i spend a lot of time in the woods on private property where there are no trails. sometimes i'll go for a weekend at a time and when i get out there, i want to have everything with me that i may need. Sure, there are stickers and what not but does that mean my jeep is fake? i don't care if it looks hard core and battle scarred or not. i have spent a lot of time and hard earned cash on my rig, sorry if i like to keep it looking good and not all smashed up for the "hard core" look. I've got to drive my xj everyday. Sure, it may have some extra paint and what not but when i take the time to refurbish something, i'm not going to just slap some spray over it and call it good. i take pride in my work and like to do it right the first time. Any time you are up in maine, let me know and i'll meet you to go wheeling :cheers:
i've got a comanche project that is for the bare bones, hard core setup which is appearently the only valid form of a jeep for you guys:worship: I really don't see the need for the chrome wipers comment... my jeep sees plenty of time off the tar. And someone who has contributed to this thread is appearently far more hard core and worthy than i am... attempting to run an inverted crustys trackbar and a custom steering drop kit from the hardware store:scared:

but i'm not here to jugde or bash. i will admit that the flares are a sore subject. but, there is no way that i was going to dole out the cash for bushwackers. after being pulled over 7 times and searched twice in a month, the local pd said they were going to tow it if they saw it anywhere near the tar again. this was while running whichever set of stock tj flares were the widest(can't remeber which trim level off the top of my head). so i had a couple options... fork out serious cash for bushwackers:rolleyes:, buy those for 100 bucks, or run stock tires with 4.56's. what would you do?
:wave:

Don't worry about their opinions... Opinions are like a$$holes everyone has them. Sometimes they are one...

This is NAXJA not the DarkSide.... But they seem to forget this sometimes.

You built it for your needs and put the flares on to avoid tickets. That fine with me.

If the hood scoop was 2" lower they would be all over you to buy one....

They don't have to worry about how far the tires stick out and get hassled by johnnylaw....

If I ever get up to Maine I would gladly wheel with you.:cheers:

TNT said:
Don't worry about their opinions... Opinions are like a$$holes everyone has them. Sometimes they are one...

This is NAXJA not the DarkSide.... But they seem to forget this sometimes.

You built it for your needs and put the flares on to avoid tickets. That fine with me.

If the hood scoop was 2" lower they would be all over you to buy one....

They don't have to worry about how far the tires stick out and get hassled by johnnylaw....

If I ever get up to Maine I would gladly wheel with you.:cheers:

Thank god that SC don't have inspection and they don't have tons of crazy laws. I love SC

Here is a pic of my latest fender work. Too bad I'm probably going to have to make them about 3" wider since I'm going with 65" wide axles.... They will probably laugh at my flare extentions but if it save me a ticket it's a well done mod. I'll let them pull me over once before I add extentions. That's with 6" of lift and 33" tires with 14" of clearance from the tire to the flare. I will be running 36" tires or bigger with 12" of suspension travel in the front. I still have to finish my inner fender liners and a whole bunch more. Yes those are stock XJ flares...

Picture014a.jpg

If you can't steer from lock to lock when fully flexed your fenders aren't cut enough.

yeah, i'm used to critism and i can take it just fine. i've always had ideas that go against the grain. part of being an engineer i guess. but anyways, i didn't want to attack anybody, just point out that my rigs not built "to fit in" nor is it built to impress anyone else or suit their needs. just something to keep in mind when posting i guess.

Back on the proper topic, looks good tnt. I ran rusty's 3" kit with 31" trxus' for a while and trimmed the front fenders. rubbing wasn't much of an issue in the rear. for the front, i just cut the sheet metal on the line where the fender steps out for mounting the flares. i ended up trimming the plastic inner liner and keeping it attached which really helps keep mud and road salt/ ice out of my hinges and everything else behind the wheel well. also helps keep mud/ water from going through the fender seam and into your engine compartment, possibly getting to your computer. I had plenty of room for 31's disco'd after that. if you want to trim the rear, look into the cut and fold unless you want to re-weld the pinch seam back together. also keep in mind when you are trimming the front that on 97+ xj's the washer fluid bottle is inside the fender and you don't want to snip it. btw, when i cut my fenders even further for my 33's, i used a pair of my dads tin snips for stove pipe. worked great and was much quicker and controlled than a dremel or cut off wheel. i'd tend to stay away from a sawz-all. the sheetmetal is a bit flimsy and the sawz-all could do a reall number on it....

lowrange2 said:
I like that bumper... it sticks on out there but it's tough lookin.

Thanks. It's built so it slides up on stuff and it's meant to hit deer at speed... It does that quite nicely. The blood spatter can be pretty gross thou...

Front view
MJ005.jpg

Side view on my old XJ
Picture20008.jpg

It has the same angle as the front skid. The pic also shows stock flares move up to the body line.

BADaXJ said:
yeah, i'm used to critism and i can take it just fine. i've always had ideas that go against the grain. part of being an engineer i guess. but anyways, i didn't want to attack anybody, just point out that my rigs not built "to fit in" nor is it built to impress anyone else or suit their needs. just something to keep in mind when posting i guess.

Back on the proper topic, looks good tnt. I ran rusty's 3" kit with 31" trxus' for a while and trimmed the front fenders. rubbing wasn't much of an issue in the rear. for the front, i just cut the sheet metal on the line where the fender steps out for mounting the flares. i ended up trimming the plastic inner liner and keeping it attached which really helps keep mud and road salt/ ice out of my hinges and everything else behind the wheel well. also helps keep mud/ water from going through the fender seam and into your engine compartment, possibly getting to your computer. I had plenty of room for 31's disco'd after that. if you want to trim the rear, look into the cut and fold unless you want to re-weld the pinch seam back together. also keep in mind when you are trimming the front that on 97+ xj's the washer fluid bottle is inside the fender and you don't want to snip it. btw, when i cut my fenders even further for my 33's, i used a pair of my dads tin snips for stove pipe. worked great and was much quicker and controlled than a dremel or cut off wheel. i'd tend to stay away from a sawz-all. the sheetmetal is a bit flimsy and the sawz-all could do a reall number on it....

This is how I trimmed the rear on my XJ... Thats 5" of lift with 33" tires and room for 37" tires...

rearfender003.jpg

I used the write up on here to keep the stock flares.
DSCF2702.jpg

I have around 3.5" lift and 32" tires. I don't like the look of the TJ flares. Some come out pretty nice but most I have seen I have not been impressed.

Dude. I don't think the cops are searching yur car because they think you have...............illegal fender flares. Maybe things are a little different up north.

Yur Jeep is pretty cool though. I was on some busses that look just like it when I was climbing the Andes in Chile. How many crates of chickens can it carry?

Just pokin fun. If it makes you feel any better, i once drove an old jeep along a river bank at night using NVG's. In the older NVG's and at good speed, it's kinda hard to tell the difference between water and sand. The bank sloped very gently, but the water dropped off significantly. After about 2 seconds it looked more like a submarine than a Jeep.

no, they didn't search my jeep because of the flares but they wouldn't have had a reason to pull me over in the first place if it wasn't for the tires. i didnt have to let them search it either but i didn't have any reason not to let him and i figured maybe they'd back off if i let them have a look-see and realize there wasn't anything. it was kinda funny though, he was kneeling in the drivers seat going through things and when he hopped out, he smashed his knee on the rock sliders and got his pants all muddy. then he proceeded to limp and act as though it never happened ha ha:roflmao:
BTW andrew... thats a sweet setup. nice and clean. i've always wanted a red cherokee too. is that the rock lizard fab rock monitor?

BADaXJ said:
BTW andrew... thats a sweet setup. nice and clean. i've always wanted a red cherokee too. is that the rock lizard fab rock monitor?

Thanks, yup Rock Lizard.

-Andrew

On the rear fenders of mine I made a verticle cut going up into the fender at around 6 locations. My idea was to not cut so much out that I had to reweld the outer fender back to the inner. So, by looking at the tack welds along the edge I basically hammered the lip into the fender well. I gained about 1.5 or so inches all around the tire and solved my rub issues in the rear. For the front just trim along the old exterior dimensions of where the original fender trim used to go, about 2 or more inches all around. It works great on my 31's and I just test fitted some 33X13.5's and 35's, both fitted perfectly. I am going to use the 33's so I dont need as much bumpstop for a little more up travel.
I will take some pics of what I did and post them in a few minutes.

hot_rod_hooligans said:
And thats what I was looking for, some one with a similar set-up and what I was thinking about doing, any rub up front? Doubt it, but I had to ask.

Nope, no rubbing. Sounded close to what you were wanting, so I figured I'd post it up. Hope it helped.

-Andrew

Back