• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Feeler on pricing-98 Cherokee

afbond03

NAXJA Forum User
Alright, before I go blindly listing this all over the internet I figured I would see what some XJ loving people think I could fetch for my Jeep.
Basically when trying to put it into gear it grinds like crazy and continues to grind until you go back to park. While in park the Jeep still rolls. Obviously something with the transmission. My wife is done letting me put money into this Jeep and has pretty much ordered me to sell it as it is. We were going to get it towed and tore into for a diagnostic but she has shot that down at this point now too. So here are some specs and hopefully I can get a ball park figure on what to price something like this at. I live on base so parting it out is not an option.
1998 XJ Limited, 152,500 miles, NP242 IRO SYE, Auto, D30, C8.25, New 4.5" RE Coil Springs, New FrankZ Longarmz, New RC Relocation Brackets and 2" shackle. 33x12.50x15 GY MTR W/Kevlar less than 3000k miles -1 plug. 15" MB Predator 15x8 3.75" BS wheels.
JKS discos-seized, Rubicon take off shocks, bpe's up front.
RE 2" Spacer, Original leaf pack with RE 2.5" full length AAL. FrankZ winch bumper, Ohana fab sliders, Vipermax 9500lb winch, Detours a-pillar light mounts, 2 kcs, 2 hellas, 8 white leds for rock locks, cut fender -rear cut n fold. LeBaron Hood vents, 10" sub in cubby hole. Tan leather in good condition. Currently sits around 5" or so.
IMG_20110905_160112.jpg

That is the jist of it. I appreciate any input on this situation. We used it awhile back on a consolidation loan so I am currently waiting to see what they want in return to get the title back on it. Once that is done I will officially be selling it. Rack and rack lights not included.
Thanks,Bo

Nice looking Jeep, too bad you have to sell it. I can't give you a good ballpark figure. Cherokees don't hold resale value well. The current value depends mainly on condition, not on options/aftermarket equipment. Not running(bad trans)=low value.

Seriously?! The shifter linkage for the transfer case isn't adjusted right... You're hearing the transfer case grind. Crawl up under there take the linkage loose, twist the input shaft until it clicks into gear, crawl out from under it and drive it around. Then go tell your controlling ass wife to go suck a nut and make a sandwich.

Seriously?! The shifter linkage for the transfer case isn't adjusted right... You're hearing the transfer case grind. Crawl up under there take the linkage loose, twist the input shaft until it clicks into gear, crawl out from under it and drive it around. Then go tell your controlling ass wife to go suck a nut and make a sandwich.

If that fails, I'll give 1k for it. :)

Going to need that for the down payment.Attorney fee's ;)

LMAO. Awesome.
I am hoping once the snow melts from around it I can crawl under it and dick around to see if that happens to be it.
Actually, Ill give my wife a break on this one because she has been pretty great and understanding with my "toys." She let me buy a Samurai last November to play around with as well. So between this happening with the Jeep and my Samurai transmission having a hole in it all in the same week, she has hit a wall. I don't blame her either because I am getting fed up with it myself. We have a kid on the way so she wants me to get something reliable to tote the tot back and forth to daycare in. I was supposed to be getting a truck but I keep procrastinating that because I HATE car payments.

Hopefully that fixes it. Go out there and shift the tcase around from inside and see if you can get it in gear.

Sell the Samurai, buy a Honda.

Well for the moment it isn't doing it. I made adjustments on the transfer case and the transmission. It stopped at that point. Though when I put it in 4wd drive again and then back into 2wd it would do it again. So it seems when I go into 4wd it throws things off again. I can then go into 4lo and it not do it.

Sweet, that's progress. It just needs some tuning. Sounds like either it's adjusted to far forward or it's sliding on the shaft when you shift. I'm assuming the 242 is the same as the 231 in this aspect. Put it in 2wd and slide it as far back as you can. Mine is about 3/4 of an inch from the end of the rod. Just keep playing with it.

See, aren't ya glad ya ain't gotta sell it now.

Sounds good. Ill mess with it more tomorrow. Well once I fix this issue I still have to get my vibes taken care of. My angles are dead to the world on so it hasn't been a fun chase.

Should making these adjustments keep it from doing this while driving? I only took it around the block so no real test, just thought I would be prepared for it to happen again while driving if need be.

I've never had mine pop out of gear in 2wd while driving. There's no where near the strain on the t-case while it's in 2wd. Now, mine used to pop out of 4-low under strain frequently. Adjusted the linkage and it doesn't do that anymore.

Get it adjusted right and you shouldn't have a problem.

Is your wife happy now?

I really like the way that thing looks, btw. I wish mine was a late model.

Yea, I've never had the issue while in 4wd. It happens during regular driving conditions while in 2wd, usually not doing any more than 30mph even. Ill just be driving along, it grinds and I no longer have power going to the wheels. The first few times I put it in neutral and then went back to D and had no issues. The other day though it would continue to grind until I put it in park, then once there when I tried to shift to D again it would grind. I finally got it to stop and limped her on home. Once home I realized when in P I could still roll it.

Back