• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Factory overhead console

JEEPZZ said:
The info is in your owners manual.

Overhead console out of a '98 Grand Cherokee. You sure it's in a 1990 Cherokee manual? I haven't looked, but I'm thinking it won't be there.

So, I finally get the thing to SAVE the settings, but the compass is SOOOOOOO far off, it's insane. Go this way, it's east -> Go this way, it's southeast <- Something's just wrong.

brendon800 said:
Overhead console out of a '98 Grand Cherokee. You sure it's in a 1990 Cherokee manual? I haven't looked, but I'm thinking it won't be there.

So, I finally get the thing to SAVE the settings, but the compass is SOOOOOOO far off, it's insane. Go this way, it's east -> Go this way, it's southeast <- Something's just wrong.
Yep, it's in there. The magnetic variance will be the same but the programming might be slightly different but it sounds like you've already got that part figured out.
Putting the console in manual calibration mode and spinning 3 circles is all the same.

JEEPZZ said:
Yep, it's in there. The magnetic variance will be the same but the programming might be slightly different but it sounds like you've already got that part figured out.
Putting the console in manual calibration mode and spinning 3 circles is all the same.
THANKS MAN! Yup, looks like Pa's variance is 10. Though, it's still not really working right. I'm kinda lost there.

I'm not really sure what the deal is with the newer ZJ console electronics. Didn't you say you were going to get the 93-95 ZJ display? You'll find that they are much easier to work with (very similiar to the XJ console).
What I would do is just buy another console 93-95, swap out the displays (if you've hacked into your console) and then just resell that 93-95 console as a 96-98 since it will have the newer electronics in it. This way you can keep the custom mounts and mods you've made to your console and not end up stuck with another console or parts you can't use. (the electronic displays are a direct swap)

Mambeu said:
Where the hell did you find one? I've been searching for months...

/hijack
Both of them came with the Jeep when purchased, I have one for Electrical and one for Engine, Body and Chasis. Let me say they're far better than any Haynes or Chiltons manual I've ever read and covers ALL Jeep vehicles made that year.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1990...34224QQitemZ8033393333QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW

WOW I just realized how much these are worth, I should really take better care of mine...

I'm now stuck at "N" and "CAL". I've tried driving in circles MANY times. I've used about a quarter tank of gas going to different places to avoid power lines, buildings, trees, etc. I also tried disconnecting the battery for a couple hours, and starting fresh, but to my surprise, the clock on the dash, and the OHC kept their settings. I'm at a loss. I'm thinking I'm going to be looking more for a 93-95 OHC display, and start over again.

I forgot that you were the one with the late ZJ console. Looks like we're finding more things on it that aren't compatible in the XJ.

JEEPZZ said:
I forgot that you were the one with the late ZJ console. Looks like we're finding more things on it that aren't compatible in the XJ.
Shyeah, no kidding. I'm looking on eBay now for a new console...This thing is a pain in my ***.

Zoro said:
Went junkyarding today and all of the early 90's Chrysler vans I saw had different consoles in it than mine, so what cars have the exact same console as the one I've got?
The 84-90 Chrysler vans (Caravan/Voyager) used a very similar overhead console... I believe the temp/compass unit is identical, but the console itself doesn't match the curve of the XJ's roof.

iBran said:
The 84-90 Chrysler vans (Caravan/Voyager) used a very similar overhead console... I believe the temp/compass unit is identical, but the console itself doesn't match the curve of the XJ's roof.
Thanks, I thought the 'computer' in mine was shot so I was looking to swap one in from a van but the only ones in vans I found were 90 and newer so a totally different beast console wise.

I found a link on ILOVEMYJEEP.com about overhead consoles. A guy on there said the 91-94 caravan and voyagers are the same as the 97+ cherokee consoles.I went to my local yard and got a one of these consoles for my 98 and it looks exactly like oem. The only thing is that the mpg won't work because the computers are different. I didn't care as I only wanted the temp/compass anyway.They showed pictures of it installed and it looked like an exact fit.

Back