• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Extreme Pizza Cutter Tires (7.00 x 15)?

jeepskeight: All my DD in the southern Alaskan winter is dark-time, often 'blazing the trail before the State Plow Trucks arrive to clear highway for the early morning herd. Usually never see another vehicle during my 24 mile travel early am drive. Snow will be 'fan-tailing' up along side both front door windows. Had to stop once to clear snow off of the top of my battery, lol. Where I'm at we don't get your long deep freeze, but cold is cold, lol, and the deepest we have had is minus 47 f. Minus 30's is the general rule.

Ice-track Race official friend sez that nothing, (in stock form), beats the 'sticky' factory siped Blizzack, and the racing crews have tried everything available. That's what I use for winter paved road. Got 'em from TireRack.They are not so good in off-road snow alone, nor snow covered dirt roads, but great on glare, or black ice paved roads. They are NOT to be used on dry pavement, or dirt roads.., EVER, since they will wear out the useful zone depth of sticky rubber. Once worn away, or out, there is still enough tread for summer highway use. I switch out my Blizzak wheels come "break-up", favoring instead summer highway use, including lots of dirt/mud roads with already mounted Hankook DynaPro MT's. (they won the Mud Tire Shoot-Out).

Once stationed in S.Dak., ('67), and the old Wagoneers used 'pizza-cutter' tire widths, and could slice through the snow, and reach hard bottom, usually frozen gravel. That did work better than floating tires such as all-terrains that would be difficult to reach bottom. In fact my michelin tires were no good 'breaking through deep snow, lol, I just followed along within the previous skinny tracked-ruts already made, and often never had to actually steer my '61 Porsche.

If it takes a long time for plow trucks, of any sort, to plow out your usual routes, then the 7 inchers will probably work great. Get down around plowed roads, take it slower, and give yourself plenty of braking space, and time.

Noticed that your series of posts are six months apart.., hmmm.., so please post up your findings at your earliest. 'Curious minds want to know'! Drive safe.

OK. After some delay http://www.newsminer.com/news/local...cle_b0ad4986-475f-11e3-9d7c-001a4bcf6878.html, I've now had an opportunity http://www.newsminer.com/news/local...cle_decb72ee-4d21-11e3-a581-0019bb30f31a.html to try out the pizza cutters in most winter conditions.

My thoughts are these. The tires are very loud at moderate speeds (35-40 on dry pavement). Doesn't matter to me, but it's notable. The tread compound is VERY sturdy. I think they will last a while. The steering is very quick, almost "twitchy." Personally, I like it. The tires seem to track well under most conditions (see below).

Performance on ice is not what I'd hoped. They're not quite as good as my Toyo Observe studless snows (maybe 95%). So, no dice on the 32 degree ice. They're a little better on ice once it gets colder, but still not quite as good as the Toyo's. It's probably the trade-off for the durable compound. I may order some screw-in studs, because I think the tires have promise otherwise.

Once there's a little snow, the performance seems to be at least as good as the Toyo's. Add more snow (2 feet now), and the performance remains at or better than the Toyo's. A little squirrelly, but plenty of grip. The snowplow guys didn't plow my road for the storms, and I just bulled my way through (they still haven't plowed it, actually). We haven't received enough snow to test the deep snow scenario; I imagine performance will decline once they can't hit bottom, but that's a lot of snow.

One other thing: they are more susceptible to deflection by those linear snow berms created by traffic. Because the tires are so skinny, it's not much of a problem so long as you "hold the line", as the tires will slice right through them, but you have to pay more attention than with a wider, heavier tire.

The upshot: they are satisfactory for winter use, and perform quite well under a variety of snow conditions, but only OK on the particular condition (ice on pavement) I was hoping to address. Because they look kind of weird and handle a little differently, this tire is probably not for most people, though it's fine for me. I will update this if I put studs on or when I've had a chance to try mud conditions.

Back