• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Expedition Trailer consideration

XJumpmaster said:
I would think they would raise it atleast 2". Aren't ZJs heavier than TJ in the rear? We get 2" of lift on our XJs using ZJ or WJ springs in the fronts, but my logic could be skewed a little.

Your logic is dead on. I'm hearing that ZJ rears give a TJ 2.5-3" in the rear.

If TJ springs lower this suspension 3" the ZJ springs would equal what i have now... or damn close. So i need a 3" ZJ or 6" TJ coil...

I'm awaiting word on what guys with this vintage truck use for 3" lift.

Update:

I havent done a damn thing to this... :laugh3:

It's just sitting in front of garage as i slowly get other projects done on the XJ and elsewhere. Soon though...

Look what finally is getting some attention..

Pulled it out from behind garage and starting to get it ready for use this year. I have a set of coils i wanted to try.. ZJ V8 Upcountry fronts. However these dont have the pigtail at top like the coils in the last pic.

Has anyone ever heated and reshaped a coil to add a pigtail? Wondering how difficult this is and if making a new coil seat and retainer would be easier.

What are you smoking?

It's freezing and the weather is terrible right now!

(59 and rainy :cry: )

59 is FAR from freezing!!! 59 is perfect!

Look what finally is getting some attention..

Pulled it out from behind garage and starting to get it ready for use this year. I have a set of coils i wanted to try.. ZJ V8 Upcountry fronts. However these dont have the pigtail at top like the coils in the last pic.

Has anyone ever heated and reshaped a coil to add a pigtail? Wondering how difficult this is and if making a new coil seat and retainer would be easier.

Seems like it would be much easier to add a tube to the center of the plate up top just like the front of an XJ... Then maybe some sort of small retaining clip.

4 years and i havent done anything signifigant to this.. yet.

Earlier this year i cut the huge fenders off, removed the plywood and aluminum sheet in bed. This revealed well bowed bedsides and rotted channel where it bolts to the crossmembers. Last week i found replacement bedsides..

Picked them up yesterday.. excellent condition. Time to get working on it, plan is to drag it to the UP this September.

trailerbedsides1.jpg

The bedsides that will be getting replaced..

I think i can repair the bulkhead and after some measurements i think i can narrow an MJ tailgate. This project is where i'm gonna learn a bit more about welding.. hope it holds together.

rottedbedsides.jpg

Seems to me you could save some weight and make it a bit more versatile if you build your own frame. It doesn't need to be as big as that C channel frame and you could create nice voids for things like water tanks and such.

Seems to me you could save some weight and make it a bit more versatile if you build your own frame. It doesn't need to be as big as that C channel frame and you could create nice voids for things like water tanks and such.

Next trailer... just want this usable as cheaply as possible. I think it'll work out pretty good.

Ya got a shot of this thing standing away from it without the fenders on it?

I do, I'll dig them up and host. I recently removed the old bed and found the bedsides are different but will work just fine.

Ya got a shot of this thing standing away from it without the fenders on it?

Best i can do... the bed is off it now. Youi can see why i like the bed size, fits my Overland 1.8 (72" queen size) well. I know it doesnt look like much now.. but i think it'll work just fine.

trailerstrip.jpg

As it sits. Have a set of ZJ V8 Upcountry coils i want to try.

trailerwork2.jpg

5'x6' iirc.

Bought a 3500lb axle with elec brakes this am, pick up sunday. I'll need to narrow it but couldnt pass on it at $50.

Yesterday i wanted to check the bolt hole locations on the newer bedsides so i quickly did a mockup of fit, The later style bedsides are a direct boltin to the earlier late 50's through early 70's beds. Gonna try to mod the MJ tailgate to work.. which might involve actually narrowing the bed width also, to give me a tracking width to match the ZJ. As of now i think it may be a few inches wider.

trailermockup1.jpg

Back