• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Expedition Trailer consideration

karstic said:
IIRC the Adventure Trailers use a trailing arm system with and air bag and shock. Not a bad system for an off-road trailer, independent suspension.

Get rid of the truck axle and weld in some stub axles and hubs w/ a 5 on 4.5" bolt pattern.
Adventure trailer just put there suspension under a M416 they are goint to sell the suspension as a direct bolt on chek it out
http://www.atreport.com/st1.html

$1200 is a lot of money for what that is. If you have the skills to restore/modify a M416 you'd have the skills to build something like that I'd think.

I'm big on buying stuff to save time but that is just too much money for what it is IMO.

John B said:
So... whatcha do google EXPO?! Good to see ya there. Lots of us over there now.

Yeah. lol It took me a while to find it. I have been to the site a couple years ago, but never registered. Its more in the direction that I want to go nowadays. Thanks for triggering that memory impulse.

Root Moose said:
$1200 is a lot of money for what that is. If you have the skills to restore/modify a M416 you'd have the skills to build something like that I'd think.

I'm big on buying stuff to save time but that is just too much money for what it is IMO.

My sediments exactly.

Heres a few pics of what i'll be starting with. The original wood bed is gone and replaced with 3/4" plywood and a sheet of aluminum cut to size over that. This will also be removed and steel welded back in.

dadstrailer010.jpg

dadstrailer013.jpg

dadstrailer017.jpg

The tongue and suspension.

dadstrailer011.jpg

dadstrailer012.jpg

dadstrailer015.jpg

I'm surprised how solid this is.

dadstrailer014.jpg

any idea how much it weighs ? Looks heavy

then that will work out nice are you going to leave the axel under it

Brought it home yesterday.

I need to give it a lift to sit level with the tongue on the XJ. 4" should be real close. Get a set of 33's to replace the 31's.. and possibly some coil spacers should do it for now.

Fab a set of M-416ish style fenders, clean it up and spray it to match the XJ. Add some crossbars to mount the Overland tent, and call it good for a quick trip to central PA for Memorial Day.

After that i can swap the axle, possibly add airbags for the coils, water/fuel/propane mounts, a hinged lid, etc.

RedHeep... what bolt pattern is on these wheels?

EDIT: Forgot to mention. The track width is just under 2" less than the XJ measured outside of tire.

Last edited:
IllianaXJ said:
Subscribed.

I'd like to eventually do the same kind of thing with a Comanche bed trailer.

Watch that or you will suffer the wrath of Eagle....

I wonder how well a front wheel drive Dodge aries K car rear axle would work.

RichP said:
Watch that or you will suffer the wrath of Eagle....

LOL! That is a name I have not seen in a while! I wonder how he is?

Anyone know of an OEM coil to lift a TJ rear about 3"?

Looking for replacement coils for the trailer for this season without spending much. I'm considering airbags next winter along with new trailing arms.

John B said:
Anyone know of an OEM coil to lift a TJ rear about 3"?

Looking for replacement coils for the trailer for this season without spending much. I'm considering airbags next winter along with new trailing arms.

Why not acos ? then you can drop them back down again when needed.

The coils attach by rotating the pigtails in a bracket, then "sandwiched" with a bolt and plate inside the coil at the first wrap. No way to attach ACOS or slip in spacers. Need all coil.

I'll take a pic tomorrow morning to better show ya.

XJumpmaster said:
Wouldn't a ZJ or WJ rear coil work?

Thats what i'm asking. I know the guys running these 60-65 Chevy PU's are using TJ coils (and 70 Malibu) coils to lower their rigs about 3". The coil needs the pigtail on both ends.

trailercoil001.jpg

Typing that i just realized my math error. If a stock TJ coil lowers 3" i would need 6" TJ coil to raise this 3".

I need an OEM coil that i can grab cheaply at the local upull that will raise a TJ 3". If ZJ will work i could easily grab a pair.

Back