• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Expedition in Antarctica?

No need for an extension cord. Just use a backup battery and an inverter. Just for kicks, I tried that last year hunting in Idaho - wasn't cold enough to need a block heater, but I plugged it into my inverter, drained the battery overnight keeping the engine warm, then drove it all the next day to recharge the battery, did the same thing the next night. Seemed to work just fine. I was using a crappy wallyworld neverstart battery and it was my suburban, but I've been thiking of a similar setup in my XJ. It lasted 10-12 hours running just the block heater.

what about a small generator... I am sure on a trip like that, it would come in useful for other things as well.

I think I saw some of these guys on tv once, they had BIG tires and would run almost no air, but when they blew a bead, they used lighter fluid and a match to re-set bead since it was SO cold, it basically exploded onto the rim. Pretty cool to see, but I have heard of people dying trying it (not first hand heard of).

Hood louvers would be useless!

Red97XJ said:
what about a small generator... I am sure on a trip like that, it would come in useful for other things as well.

I think I saw some of these guys on tv once, they had BIG tires and would run almost no air, but when they blew a bead, they used lighter fluid and a match to re-set bead since it was SO cold, it basically exploded onto the rim. Pretty cool to see, but I have heard of people dying trying it (not first hand heard of).

Hood louvers would be useless!
It's starter fluid and that's not the only place beads are set like that.
Try having to reset a 44" every 2 minutes just trying to get off the trail.
Not every boom in the woods is from hunters.

Beej said:
and a HUGE crevasse bar. (Think movable 16 foot stinger bar)...
:laugh3: You must have seen that 4x show on cable TV that showed those guys wheeling in Antarctica. Definitely a must mod.

Okie Terry said:
It's starter fluid and that's not the only place beads are set like that.
We had a guy try to reseat a bead using lighter fluid. The tire caught on fire. Frickin' hilarious. Unfortunately, no camera was handy.

Last edited:
geitin said:
yes offcourse it was an team from iceland that did this some years ago and they used toyota landcrusers for the job and they also whent to grenland and did that first just to get the pratice there are some big problems that has to be solved there becuse how cold it is there but if you have the right cars and alot of money hey go for it man :)

Plus you have the added advantages of all those hot springs up there to relax in at the end of the day...

Was at a sac base in maine visiting a friend in the 70's where they parked the ready vehicles over 3ft wide by 6ft and 8ft long radiant quartz heaters to keep the drive train warm during the winters and that was inside steel garages, upside was that it kept the insides fairly warm too as a byproduct of heating the underside. It actually worked pretty well. I've also been to a couple of military bases in alaska , adak was one, that had more outlets in the strangest places than any place I had ever seen, they were for plugging in the vehicles to keep them warm, single plug would run a block heater, oil pan heater which was standard equipment on everything on wheels or tracks the navy had there.

Hey, posting from balmy Yellowknife here. I'm at about 62 deg. north here, which is no where near Tuk or Inuvik or Iceland... but we enjoy a similar chill for 6+ months of the year.

I've been through 2 winters with sustained -45C/-50F or worse (ie. for 2 months) and the XJ and it hasn't failed me yet. I haven't had to use any crafty methods like those posted above and it has started every time. I do use synthetic fluids all around and plug the vehicle in overnight (just a block heater).

DIesel engine owners around here often leave the engine running for months at a time to avoid cold startsm.

And to the Delta boys heading to Tuk, you should be fine and will end up spending most of your time in Inuvik. Check out Liard Hot Springs on the way (in BC, before Ft. Nelson). Lotsa blankets, a grill cover, and arrange your accomodation ahead of time cuz when there are no rooms in the BeauDel, there are really no rooms. I have driven south to Edmonton (1500km each way) a half dozen times in bone chillin temps and its no prob.

Your passenger's feet will get cold, however. Keep it cool.

Back