• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Expanded metal hood?

That has nothing to do with it being a K9 unit, that's probably just something that the cop shop added for operating vehicles in the desert. Not factory that's for sure, Ford doesn't offer that in the CVPI literature.

It's not factory. IIRC, it was an aftermarket hood. My original question was if somebody made this, has anyone ever heard of a police spec hood for an XJ that was similar?

Also, I believe there was a metal screen below the vent panel to keep crap out of the engine bay.

On my first XJ, I cut out some metal and covered the area with louver plate, and it really made a difference. In the winter my windshield steams from the heat escaping under hood.

On my current XJ, I just put 1/2 inch spacers between the rear hood hinges and the hood and it does just as well. There is no value in having a cool air intake with the throttle body right on top of the exhaust unless you can air some of that heat out.

That has nothing to do with it being a K9 unit, that's probably just something that the cop shop added for operating vehicles in the desert. Not factory that's for sure, Ford doesn't offer that in the CVPI literature.
Our department has louvers put in the hoods on K-9 units because the engine must remain on while the dog is in the car because the A/C has to be on. Same for CHP as I recall.

Back