• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

exocage

Well, I meant to take pics as I went along. I forgot the card for the camera one day. I forgot the camera the next day and my wife had the camera today.

Well, anyway, I got the xj home today. I can finish the rest of what I have planned in my garage. Here are some pics of what I have done up to this point.

Sorry, some of the pics may be a little hard to see. If you want I can post some more pics during the day upon request.

Please, any more suggestions or criticism are welcome. What else sould I do to it? Remember this is my first cage build so give me some slack. For that matter, I have never even bent tube before this build.

Also, I used cheap $1 a foot tubing because I did not want to waste money on tubing on mistakes but, it will serve its purpose.

exocage001.jpg

exocage002.jpg

exocage003.jpg

exocage004.jpg

exocage005.jpg

exocage006.jpg

exocage007.jpg

exocage008.jpg

exocage009.jpg

exocage010.jpg

exocage011.jpg

exocage012.jpg

exocage013.jpg

exocage013.jpg

Oh! I am going to spray can paint the cage and body. Any suggestions. I would like the two to be different colors but nothing to crazy looking. Preferably flat colors.

Last edited:
BrettM said:
I woulda made an X rather than an H on the roof (check out Goatman's). also, you got something planned for the interior as mentioned earlier?

I was going to do an xX on the roof but was talked out of it by some buddies. The only way I could have done it and make it look good is to bend the tube to the corners and V notch. It was easy for them to talk me out of it. That would have to of been done twice on top. I do understand the purpose of an X and the strength of it. This cage is not going any where.

For the inside you mentioned an X for the B pillar post. I would be willing to do that also except, it is going to take away alot of interior room. I have decided against that also, because I am going to have a rear seat that my daughter has to get in to through the cage. The H design is easier to maneuver around.

I think it looks awesome. I used to not be a fan of exos but I like how you blended with the front and rear bumpers and the rock rails, and gave the corner lights good protection. Looks good!

I can't comment on strenght cuz I don't know what's best, never done it.

Chris

the exo is looking great. i have one question about the welding. maybe i'am missing something, but how you guys weld all the way around the tube? i know some guys use flanges and tack weld everything then that it apart weld it then put it back together with bolts. i don't like that. any help would be great

thanks troy

It is a pain. All the welds that are on the bumpers and rockers are all the way around, I was able to get to those.The main supports over the roof I could get to also, not easy. The supports around the fenders and under the windows and a few other places are 7/8 around. If there is a trick to it I would like to know myself. While welding, I just had to find the best position to get er done. It is not going anywhere. I promise you that.

Maybe it's just the way it looks in the side pic but, is the rear tire going to
clear when compressed ? I hope your not thinking larger meats with it that way.

Way Cool!

I agree the colour is the perfect chioice. You know if you beant up a bit of clear plexiglass and put it on front of the headlights it would almost look like the jeep was real angry.

how much lift have you got on it?

Im not sure if its just my eyes or your rear leaf springs inverted?

Andrew

What front bumper if that? Rigidco?
Thanks-
Jack

David Taylor said:
Maybe it's just the way it looks in the side pic but, is the rear tire going to
clear when compressed ? I hope your not thinking larger meats with it that way.

LOL - yeah, I was looking at the same thing...... maybe he just got a bit carried away with the chain straps? Stretched it backwards a bit? His rear leafs at the shackles look worn out - no arch to 'em. :laugh3:

Nice looking exo though. I've been eyeing some others and your's looks good particularly the front sides and bumper connections. I'd agree that it needs alot of gussetts yet since there isn't alot of triangulation. But it's certainly better than no protection at all. I like it!

Sorry, guys, I just got in from Clayton. That is why it was on a trailer in the last pics. mikecooper is right on the specs. From what I can recall the last time I talked to Sam he had 4.5" lift and 36 tsl sx's with a d44 out front and 9" rear.

I ran into okie terry and Mar Hinkly out there this weekend and they gave it a once over. They gave me some good sugggestions on some of the stuff that they saw. Mainly just tweeking the suspension.

The rear leafs are all wore out bad. That is going to be one of the first three things that I fix. The others will be moving the axle back and fixing the blown ball joint that came apart on me sat. evening.

As far as the cage goes it did great! I rubbed it on trees, rocks, you name it. I built it mainly for body protection and to stiffen up th uni. Which it definately did. It is not built for a roll over. Although it does add to the safety of the rig. I have more work to do to the cage and triangulation and gussets are something I still have not decided on.

Back