• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

exo cage, hit or miss

cassio

NAXJA Forum User
well here is my plans so far
let me know what u think
2mg1pn7.jpg

4cdgqdg.jpg

cas

I wouldn't waste time on an exo...
sorry but its my opinion.
here is my reasoning. with your doors and hatch still on, your roof will stay pretty intact in a roll over. unless your doing high speed racing stuff in which case you'd want a internal cage to keep wind resistance down. but in the sport of rock crawling I truly believe that at slow speeds, the stock body will save your live and a cage is not needed.
internal cages are hindering, hard to get in and stuff. exo cages add weight which kills you on the trail.
with an internal cage, the body is shot once you roll over. and an exo cage increases your likelyhood of rolling over. also, with an exo cage, very very few are able to keep from still damaging the body in a roll.
and lastly, they get hung up on the rocks more. Its easier to slide a door across a rock and not have a cage catch it.

yeah but an exo can protect you from trees and stuff on tighter trails... true that it can get snagged but i am having some exo work to protect the body from rocks limbs trees etc... i think that the design is good just look at xjdb.com and see some real used and abused designs... the exo is like an internal except for you get more protection overall... i think my exo cage design will save my body or preserve it ... true a good roll over will be the end of the car in most cases especially the roof but if built right can be a very cool feauture like the guy with boatsides, etc... i think exo's though are heavier and require more tube... anyways looks good

There's trees in Texas?
again, its just my opinion but I feel that exo's are about as usefull as a 48" highlift on a rock buggy. They are a bigger burden than savior.

ok ok trees yes sorry i didnt see the texas location! i think they CAN be useful but agree that they can get snagged and hung up more than sheetmetal... i think people build them more as a statement rather than a functional work ouf tubing but i feel like the cage does give you more piece of mind when you are wheeling when the extra protection is needed and might save some body pieces which otherwise might be expensive to replace... dont bumpers serve kind of the same function?? it is a cage but also a large quote bumper that protects the body from impact with an integral roll function if that makes sense... whatever . i think a cage if done right can work and it is true that some bumpers slide over objects better than others... anyways it can give you exterior protection and roll over protection in one package

oh yeah what about little rice cars and hondas? a exo has gotta help against a wreck with one of those... i know my warn bumper has spoken once against a little honda! a exo definatly would help... impact and roll over

anyways...

I've looked at getting some type of cage in the future in an effort to stiffen up (and reinforce) the unibody. I'm assuming than an internal cage would probably be more useful in this application since you can tie it into more places in the body, right?

I don't give a crap about the little honda that wants to boogie. chances are that if any vehicle hits me, in the side its most likely that its gonna catch a rockrail or a tire or a bumper.
as for stiffineing the frame. good bumpers built right do a great job. Rockrails done right can do a good job. and an internal cage tied in at B, C and D with diagonal support is huge. tie the cage into the rockrails and your set. the front bumper should basically do like a C-Rok plate on both sides.
Jeepspeed guys don't run rockrails so they have frame stiffiners instead.

well i mean with good rock rails and bumpers these two provide good points to tie in for an exo... i mean are exo's really for looks or function? i think for the majority of vehicles that have them they are functional... and it seems that they are as good if not better than any other skid plate or bumper as far as protection... if done right i think the exo cages functionality can be very valuable and create a safe structure incase something goes wrong... while it might not be the easiest on the eyes i think the use of tube in this manner is both aesthetic and functional... it might not be for everyone but if he want a exo then he should go for it...

I saved my front windshield for years cause I had the exo, it broke but not from a roll. I had a rock, pebbel fly up and land between the corner of the exocage and the glass when it was flexin it wedged in furter on a bump it shattered the glass.. Its hot in Arizona, and alot nicer with more air flow with no frotn windshield I love it with no glass. I like my exo roof more head room I like my exo rear that is dove tailed, Im ok with my exo front fender bars they really slide nice on rocks but my A Pillar and B-pillars are beat to hell. Bent and dented, not from rolls but from getting wedged or from grindin. 3in on each side is 6in and a big difference.

2in tube was a bad choose it dents easier, after its dented it bends easier then same 120 wall 1.75 or 1.5in tube. I like the idea of making a second 120 wall skin half a tube. that mimics the B-hopp and A-pillar to make it 240 wall jsut aobut (1/4in) for grinding. if its to chigered up gridn the tack welds take it off and make a new skin. I dont really have fenders to protect but they are not dented...

t_ashman_h2h_1e_182.jpg

Xos and int are a lot of steal time and money and can be a pain in the daryair to work around. You could pick up a XJ for what you put into some of them cages.
The body will do a good job on ONE slow over. Add just a little speed or roll more then once and all bets are off on the body protecting you.
A simple rollbar (3 point) is cheep light easy to install stays out of the way Yet add a lot to passenger protection. My rollbar is to protect my sweet white butt to h**l with the Jeep.
Xos do look cool I grant you that.

badron said:
Xos and int are a lot of steal time and money and can be a pain in the daryair to work around. You could pick up a XJ for what you put into some of them cages.
The body will do a good job on ONE slow over. Add just a little speed or roll more then once and all bets are off on the body protecting you.
A simple rollbar (3 point) is cheep light easy to install stays out of the way Yet add a lot to passenger protection. My rollbar is to protect my sweet white butt to h**l with the Jeep.
Xos do look cool I grant you that.

You're forgetting about the structural aspect of a well-designed cage, and how it's extremely effective in reinforcing the unibody and reducing stress/fatigue in places. With the extent of the modifications that Ashman, myself, and other guys with tubed/big rigs have done, it's not an easy task to just "swap everything over" to another XJ if things go wrong.

the only way to have a really strong exo is to also have some internal pieces to it, which is what ill be doing here very shortly along with shaving the bottom lipp of my door and mounting my rock rails through the rocker panel to an internal subframe which my seats will mount to along with tubes through the roof to the exo

Well I love my exocage. It has saved alot of body damage already. I wouldnt really say it increases your chance of rollovers either. It does add a good bit of weight, but that is the ONLY drawback I found. Here are some pics of my 97 XJ with the exo.
MMSep06013.jpg

929396-R4-22-21A.jpg

JJ6.jpg

MMSep06029.jpg

localridejun.jpg

929396-R3-07-6A.jpg

Rebel XJ - Since you already have a full exo, why not add some coverage for the front end to protect the radiator, etc... in the event of a roll?? I doubt the stinger would be enough, plus you could support it better also. You might also add a bar below the windsheild connecting the two sides.

Wow, 2nd post and it was off-topic already.
Only one person answered his question. He asked what you thought of his desgin, not whether or not you like Exo's.
I think it looks good, but, like the only person who actually answered you said, do the windshield bars in a V, it'll strengthen it better. But other than that, it looks decent.

Chero-King said:
Wow, 2nd post and it was off-topic already.
Only one person answered his question. He asked what you thought of his desgin, not whether or not you like Exo's.
I think it looks good, but, like the only person who actually answered you said, do the windshield bars in a V, it'll strengthen it better. But other than that, it looks decent.

did you skip my reply? he needs bars going through the roof to an internal cage to survive a multiple roll end over end or side to side down a good size hill climb. sure his design is great for small slow flops but not a bad roll , and yes i have built an exo cage and im about to start my third one.

Back