• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Exhaust downpipe hits driveshaft, '90 XJ

MachineMan

NAXJA Forum User
With some flex my front shaft hits my nasty stock down pipe. Its already scraped the zerk off the slip yoke. I suspect this is also the cause of my crackd manifold. Does anyone make an aftermarket bolt in down pipe with more shaft clearemce?

DownpipeDSC01975.jpg

'90XJ, I6, AW4, 6.5" lift

I suspect this is also the cause of my crackd manifold

no........the crack in the manifold is a "hidden dealer option". LOL it happens to every 4.0L.

but i am curious about your driveshaft hitting your downpipe. i have a 3" lift and mine did the same thing, and the axle is centered perfectly................although it didn't do it until AFTER i disconnected my front swaybar...........

hopefully somebody has some answers.

The drive shaft on a stock lift rides where the down downpipe is factory "smashed in" so it has clearnace. Now I need a pipe that tucks in closer to the pan. So far I haven't found a bolt-in replacement.

Mine started doing that when the last good exhaust hanger fell apart (thanks MN salt!), the pipe shifted over towards the shaft too far. Incidentally I'm running 3" and 32's with no sway bar. I just pulled the pipe back over towards the pass. side and wired 'er up.

i got the same thing. i have a 3 inch lift and my exhaust is falling appart kinda. its all in the works to getting fixed. i just pulled it over further to the right when i did the most recent temporary exhaust work. i think its cuz when the truck was designed (no lift ofcourse) the joint in the shaft was above the curve the exhaust makes. when its lifted it probly puts the shaft right where it hits

Last edited:
mine only hit when making right hand turns or hitting bigger bumps.
got a new pipe made by Midas, but cuz they fabbed it with suspension at full droop (used frame lift instead of vehicle lift) it still hit. brought it back and they put it on a drive on vehicle lift, made a new one, its better now.

mine stopped making noise when it sheared the Zerk fitting.. i have heard a few times when it bashed a hole in the pipe but damn near every lifted XJ ive been under has the same "clean spot" on the pipe.. if i have to replace the pipe i was gonna see if an exhaust shop in town can modify it with a section rectangular tubing..

mine used to hit so i replaced the motor mounts, motor was leaning to the manifold side causing the downpipe to rub. Not to mention the downpipe wasnt tight. Never happened again.

seems like the 3" lift is the problem. I have the solution....go higher!

Mine hit when flexed and I'm at 6", I also fixed it by pulling the pipe closer to the pass side.

When you lifted it did you put in longer bumpstops? I've seen the dent in the downpipe on mine, I would think that longer bumpstops would keep the axle far enough away so that the downpipe and the front driveshaft wouldn't have any issues...idk just a thought.. If not talk to an exhasut shop they should be able to fab. one up for you without to many issues.

Your axle may be centered at static ride height, but as it shifts to the passenger side under compression due the geometry of the Panhard bar, the axle yoke moves towards the DP.

A flatter Panhard angle, and the associated steering geometry mods will fix your problem.

Or just bend a new pipe.

Back