• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

EPA is outlawing Painting and paint stripping

Wonder if this will affect me or any other plastic model and RC Car hobbyists too. Especially others like myself who who prefer lacquers over these acrylic paints

5-90 said:
What would you want to bet that most of these outfits making "rattle can" paint also make both "professional" paint and equipment - and make higher profits on the high-end stuff?

Every time I see a bill like this going through, I wonder just how much the industry involved had to do with it. Paint shops would just love this - because those who are ready for it would have an inrush of business because you can't DIY anymore, and because the little shops can't afford to upgrade their equipment to comply.

Dumb question - why can't the paint be reformulated, instead of forcing everyone to get new equipment? Riddle me that...

I liken it to the "environmentally friendly" solvents being forced down our throats. I'll still use trichloroethane, xylene, toluene, and the like when I can find it - because it works better and does a better job. How is it more "environmentally friendly" to use a less-active (or lower VOC) solvent when you end up having to use four to six times as much? I've been using the same gallon can of acetone to clean parts for the last seven years or so, it's worked better than anything else I can find (save carbon tet - which was outlawed years ago... Pity - I used to use that to clean brass for target rounds.)

Glad Dad and I aren't the only ones who dislike these new "Fake Paints" as he put it. I find it funny how some of the RC guys prefer the water/alcohal based paints for the Lexan bodies even though the stuff can be removed if you use any of the cleaners made for the cars and doesn't really even "bond" (really more like melt or etch into) to the lexan like the lacquers do.

I understand that Ecomike, as someone who is professionally involved in the chemical industry, has a valid reason for taking an interest in this proposed regulation. However, I skimmed the 126 pages and I don't see how this would impact me in the slightest except possibly adding a few bucks onto the cost of a professional paint job that I already can't afford.

As far as I can see this is aimed at facilities with annual particulate emissions in the tons and MeCl use in the hundreds of gallons. It appears "rattle can" sprays are not affected even by the professional shops and that many very small shops are exempted entirely although I may have misunderstood that point.

With respect to the massive intervention of the federal government in every conceivable aspect of our lives, while it may help us get through the day by venting on the various internet forums and to our friends and family, the fact is that without massive well organized and highly funded efforts, very few regulations or proposals such as this are going to be changed. Doesn't mean we shouldn't try.

Having said all that, I don't necessarily think this proposal, taken strictly on its own merits and not within the overall distrust of governmental regulations, is all that onerous.

Ecomike, please post back if I am missing the point as to how this affects us as NAXJA members working on our own vehicles.

Haven't even had time to skim over everything - been running the MIL around to doctor's appointments again (bloody Hell! They come in waves...)

My original question still stands - rather than clamping down on people/shops with the appearance of doing something useful, why not do something useful and reformulate the paint and carrier solvents? Granted, going from lacquer to the two-part finishes we have now (in automotive use) wasn't a big step forward - but it would be difficult to take a step backwards at this point, methinks (granted, I could be wrong. It's happened before...)

At first gloss, this seems to benefit the government (collectors of the fees) and equipment manufacturers (since they'd profit from the shops being refit) more than anything else. "Government is not for the benefit of the governed" - and it honestly don't matter which side is running things. The problem is that they're running things.

Pelican said:
I understand that Ecomike, as someone who is professionally involved in the chemical industry, has a valid reason for taking an interest in this proposed regulation. However, I skimmed the 126 pages and I don't see how this would impact me in the slightest except possibly adding a few bucks onto the cost of a professional paint job that I already can't afford.

As far as I can see this is aimed at facilities with annual particulate emissions in the tons and MeCl use in the hundreds of gallons. It appears "rattle can" sprays are not affected even by the professional shops and that many very small shops are exempted entirely although I may have misunderstood that point.

With respect to the massive intervention of the federal government in every conceivable aspect of our lives, while it may help us get through the day by venting on the various internet forums and to our friends and family, the fact is that without massive well organized and highly funded efforts, very few regulations or proposals such as this are going to be changed. Doesn't mean we shouldn't try.

Having said all that, I don't necessarily think this proposal, taken strictly on its own merits and not within the overall distrust of governmental regulations, is all that onerous.

Ecomike, please post back if I am missing the point as to how this affects us as NAXJA members working on our own vehicles.

Pelican,

Thanks for the comments,

I am still working my way through it, I am on page 52, but so far to answer some of your comments, Anything you buy that is ever painted, or that has painted parts in it could be affected, including its cost.

Regardless of what the reg was or is aimed at, it seems to me to cover anyone spray painting anything with any kind of spray rig using any kind of paint. Although exempting aerosols sounds noble, it might drive many of us to stop using any professional, low emission, low overspray equipment so we can still paint cheaply outdoors. EPA sometimes seems to be blind to unintended consequences like this.

In other words, if a farmer wants to re-paint his tractor out in the middle of no-where on a 50 acre trac of his own land, with a Binks 18 gun that he already owns, this regulation would prohibit that, unless he bought and used a paint booth ($30,000), bought and used an enclosed paint gun cleaner ($3,000), paid to get trained and certified by someone who has no credential requirements to be the trainer (note that anyone can be a trainer to train people that need training under EPA for R12 certification, or for DOT or Hazmat training like first responders, in other words their are no strict requiments for the trainers, just hang a shingle and start training and certifying people, it's BS, as it has no meat behind the trainer's credential requirements. :scared:

So I'd be pissed :flame:if had to pay someone to train and certifiy me to do something I am better qualified to teach than the trainer. Then if the farmer uses any paint stripper with MeCl, he would need to keep records to prove he used less 150 gallons in any one year. Oh, and the farmer would need to buy a new HVLP approved paint gun ($2,000-?) and scrap his Binks 18 gun and paint pot just to paint one tractor. So, onerous? Hell yes, Mr. Farmer would be quite pissed at Mr. Government inspector telling him to spend $40,000 on the entire set up before he could paint his tractor. Oh, and if you install a paint booth instead of painting outdoors, you need automatic fire protection equipment as well, so add say $5,000 for that.:bawl:

In Texas there is currently an exemption for limited outdoor spray painting, but this proposed new reg as I see it so far would end all outdoor spray painting. That Texas exemption does require a specific distance between the outdoor painting operation and neighboring properties, and limits the hourly, daily and yearly paint spray volume.

It appears to me that one would need to do the paper work to track MeCl usage to prove that one is not using over 150 gallons per year.They do not even define how usage is measured that I have read so far (I'm still reading).

Where did you see small shop exemptions? I am still looking for exemptions for people that spray only paints that do not contain the listed HAP metals?

Lastly, you would be amased at the effect that one well thought out clearly understood, well worded, public comment can have on a proposed regulation. I was involved in a 10 year battle with EPA's new MPM rule for waste water treament (basically requires waste water treatment for waste water that was used to clean any kind of metal parts now). One City waste water plant complained that the EPA's proposed rule to force industry to reduce the iron and alluminum concentrations in their waste water discharges (that came from their waste water pretreatment operations) to city waste water plants would simply cause the city waste water plants to buy and use more alluminum and iron salts in the precipitation stages of the city plants.

In other words the EPA had not bothered to find out if forcing industry to remove those two metals was even needed or desired by the Public Waste water treatment plants.That one comment had a huge effect on the rule, and those two metals were completely dropped from the final EPA rule on MP&M waste water discharge limits. (MP&M = Metal Products and Machinery category under the Clean Water Act, 40 CFR). On the other hand, I have seen govenment regs get issued that seem to excel at evidencing the potential stupidity of bureaucracies.:twak:

It's not a congressional bill, but a proposed EPA regulation. EPA extended the public response deadline to October 31 (or Nov 1st, not sure which, I need to check).

I have been working with others on a draft reply of my own, and the Steel Structures Painting Council, SSPC is submitting a response of their own, and I suspect several others will sumbit responses as well.

Back