• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Envy

tbburg

NAXJA Forum User
I was at a cruise-in a while back, and found this:
(thumbnail is link to larger photo at photobucket.)

Kind of makes you a little green, doesn't it?

there was a guy awhile back posting in the street subforum that had a 4L stroked and done up with 6 side draft carbs on it in a nostalgia style short wheelbase dragster.

i gotta say nothing about japanese imports is cool to me... it's a generation thing i guess.
i grew up running my Chevelle against Mustangs and camaros.. not sure where the hobby turned into Hondas and Acuras... i seemed to have missed the memo.

i gotta say nothing about japanese imports is cool to me... it's a generation thing i guess.
i grew up running my Chevelle against Mustangs and camaros.. not sure where the hobby turned into Hondas and Acuras... i seemed to have missed the memo.

same here, i think most of the teenagers are getting mom and dad's commuter hand me downs and making racecars out of them.

I had 3 twin throat side draft Webers on a 6 cylinder in a 67 Mustang. You really need a set of Unisyn gages to set them up right.

My 66 Rambler Convertible 3 45 DCOE's and lots of goodies inside.

Now has a 4.7L stroker in it with FI. Not sure I am better off. OBD I does not like the cam and head flow. I will probably have to build a megasquirt to get it to run right. Might be easier to put the webers on it, reinstall the HEI and get rid of the electronics.

John

It turned somewhere in the 90's me thinks.

I used to practically live at Great Lakes Dragaway. Had been going there a number of years when the track started assigning a couple weekends a year "4Cylinder Days". The track is very close to Chicago, and a few folks who didn't appear to speak a lick of English made a show with these little 80's Toyotas. No big trailers, flat towed them up or dolly'd them. They made a hell of a noise at the line, like you just pulled down a hornet's nest. It wasn't any better if you were in the opposite lane, you're whole car vibrated in tune to that little buzz box.

We had long staging lines back then and awesome attendance, so naturally, lots of time to chat with folks about their cars. Most guys and gals had their hoods open, just like a car show. I was looking at one, an '80's Toyota Corola, no chrome, didn't look much like a race car except the cage, and the power plant. A few guys where hanging out nearby speaking in a language I didn't know (it turned out to be Puerto Rican).
The owner of the car sees me looking things over, and mid sentence, changes to english; infact the entire group did. So we all chatted. It turns out that these guys were serious car buffs, I mean like the old school. No bolt on stuff for them, they didn't make it. These guys adapted or machined their own stuff, then tried it out on the track. Engines went like scat. When they could keep the rear end from blowing up, they would easily lay down a 12 or a high 11 without a bottle. They spent a lot of time fixing rear axles, but they got very good at it.

The 8 cylinder racers didn't think much of them, but I was impressed. Whether it's your "Thing" or not, the effort these guys put into those little cars was seriously impressive.

-Ron

Last edited:
Obviously a well built sport compact time attack car is not a stock engine, baby on board civic with a spoiler. Would you want to be grouped in with chrome bolt on wrangler zombie response vehicle members? Of course not.

Just another reason not to judge a book by its cover. ANY CAR can be built to epic status.... (there are exceptions, but fewer than you think!)

Open your minds, you might learn something! Details, they matter.

Obviously a well built sport compact time attack car is not a stock engine, baby on board civic with a spoiler. Would you want to be grouped in with chrome bolt on wrangler zombie response vehicle members? Of course not.

Just another reason not to judge a book by its cover. ANY CAR can be built to epic status.... (there are exceptions, but fewer than you think!)

Open your minds, you might learn something! Details, they matter.

a well built small displacement sport compact isnt going to put out the same hp as a gt500 and last 150k miles, and have a full factory warranty. Or get 30mpg like the vette. A small displacement STOCK sport compact can't even handle me daily driving it. Granted i beat the ever living dog shit out of anything i drive, but my mustang or any other large displacement motor never had problems.

Really? a gt500 is your 'go-to' for buying american?
lol
Well it's 662hp, it was just an example. But my Mustang was far more reliable than any shit box 4cyl i had, even ones with 1/3 the mileage.

Group together, no. But are we not all car enthusiasts? Can't we appreciate each other work?

It seems to me that People don't get into the hobby of modifying cars so they can have a Factory super car, they get into it for the joy of modifying something which was factory and getting it to perform better in some way (Engine/Handling/MPG...). Take the Civic crowd. Some folks take a 90's Civic Hatch and make it into a HP beast, some a cornering car, some swap tranny/engine combos and end up with a 60mpg mileage killer.

I would bet dollars to doughnuts that there are people out there right now modifying your GT500 because they they think they can improve it in some way, and don't give 2c about the warranty.

Group together, no. But are we not all car enthusiasts? Can't we appreciate each other work?

It seems to me that People don't get into the hobby of modifying cars so they can have a Factory super car, they get into it for the joy of modifying something which was factory and getting it to perform better in some way (Engine/Handling/MPG...). Take the Civic crowd. Some folks take a 90's Civic Hatch and make it into a HP beast, some a cornering car, some swap tranny/engine combos and end up with a 60mpg mileage killer.

I would bet dollars to doughnuts that there are people out there right now modifying your GT500 because they they think they can improve it in some way, and don't give 2c about the warranty.
As usual, you missed the point entirely.....

Well, that's not very polite.
Perhaps if you explain exacty what your point was, we can have a nice conversation instead of whatever you just went out of your way to make it.

All I saw in your statement was that you could buy a Factory Super car with a warranty etc, instead of building one to your liking and taking enjoyment from the act of doing so.

Where's the popcorn smilie when you need it? :roflmao::moon:

Back