• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Engine mounts

I think the general response you'll get is to use Brown Dog motor mounts. I haven't personally used them, but they get great reviews on here all the time.

Brown Dog, rubber if ya dont like vibes poly if ya dont mind em, either is a nice choice

Yep, browndogs. Theyre hands down the highest quality motor mount I've ever put in, and they have a lifetime warranty to boot.

Plus, they're a naxja supporting vendor :D

BD MM or ironman 4x4 fab.. JeeperJohn also makes some too.

Now I just need to figure out prices on the ones mentioned. Maybe when I get to a computer. If any vendor sees this pm me a price if possible

Thanks guys
JMOliver

I've had M.O.R.E. bombproof rubber mounts on my 94 for the better part of 10 years. I'd put them on again, no questions asked.

I installed my polyurethane Brown Dogs this weekend on my 2000XJ. It was pretty easy, the driver's side required a little coaxing. Quality was excellent as expected. As far as vibration transmission, the only time I notice more than stock is at startup and idle. When driving, everything just feels a little tighter...kinda like when you upgrade a bunch of suspension components at once (if that makes sense?).

WOW??? My first thought is why are only the driver side mounts failing? How often have they failed. In what way did they fail? Pictures of a failed one?

Where did you get the ones that failed?

I have some old OEM mounts on mine that look like they can with the jeep in 1987 and 1989!!!

Have you check the transmission mount?

That was my first thought, why only the driver's side repeatedly ... is the heat shield still there?

I've installed the M.O.R.E. bombproof mounts on multiple XJ's, MJ's and YJ's and have been super happy with them every time.

The driver's side motor mount wears out because that's where the torque lift is because of the way the 4.0 rotates. Every XJ I've ever worked on with factory mounts has a worn out driver's side mount. Maybe if you're not wheeling it you wouldn't notice, but you guys with OEM mounts that look like they're original and haven't been replaced, put the thing in gear, have someone step on the brakes and on the gas at the same time and watch that motor jump around. Guaranteed you'll be surprised how much it moves even with new "OEM" mounts, let alone worn out ones that came with the rig stock.

As for repeated failures, I'm guessing the OP has been using "Anchor" brand mounts, $10 each at Auto Zone. Hard to find anything else these days. All I can find is "Anchor", suitable as name sake, and Mopar for OE style. One or two other cheapies available.

Engine torque throws the engine up and away form the drivers side mount :scared:

And down onto the passenger-side one.

The OEM mounts's rubber bits are triangular, and the bolt sleeve is at the top of the triangle. you're pulling away from the main mass of rubber on the driver's side and pushing down into it on the passenger side. Small wonder the d/s wears out faster.

I have yet to wear out either side on any of my rigs, but my are DDs, not off road.

Back