• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Engine Designed for Long Distance

Profits back to America? America profits from wages paid to Americans. Building American products out side of America and distributing the profits to the select few in the form of massive salaries and bigger bonuses? They don't distribute their wealth. That's like saying Walmart is good for America because they employ so many people (just ignore its at poverty wages and most with no benefits).

My new gf has a non lifted wrangler, and we both agree, no foreign econo boxes for us.
You can argue all you want about parts and where it was built, but in the end, the royalties go back to the primary company. In your case, Japan.
Can't you at least buy an American econobox?
And if you're so crazy concerned with a few dimes, why do you even own a vehicle on 35's? Do you tow it to the trailhead with your yugo?
Most American econoboxes are either Korean, European, or Japanese. Look through the history of "American" compacts. The few that are actually designed by American companies are made in Mexico and Canada. The profits don't matter. They go either to the top few execs in the company or the workers in other countries.

But anyways, we've actually gotten fully off course now. :D

Most American econoboxes are either Korean, European, or Japanese. Look through the history of "American" compacts. The few that are actually designed by American companies are made in Mexico and Canada. The profits don't matter. They go either to the top few execs in the company or the workers in other countries.

This. Not to mention that Toyota and the like actually employ more American workers in their USA based assembly plants than the big 3 do. The Toyota Tundra for example even has a sticker on it that says made in Texas by Texans.

Back to the Stroker topic.

Dear OP

MPG is a hobby of mine.
I had a '96 4.0l AX-15...

I recorded every gas fill up, and every MPG I ever put into it. I agree with the guys that say they get better gas mileage with a stoker. BUT you have to spend some time (a lot of time) working out the best scenario.

This is my chart of the first 250 tanks of fuel I put through my Rig.

The dips that look like they to 0 are wheeling trips, or fuel tank replacements (yes plural I popped three of them)

right around tank number 35 I lifted the jeep, and put 31" tires with the 3.07 gears

Tank number 100ish I put 3.55 gears in to it with the 31" tires.

Tank number 185ish I put 4.56 gears, and 33" tires

Tank number 220ish I got married and my wife became the primary driver.
mpg.jpg

I didn't have a stroker, I didn't have anything amazing done to it the normal exhaust, intake and air filter... Just drove nicely, kept it tuned and clean.

two things to consider.
your left foot is what will make or break your MPG's
and at the end of the day, you're still driving a brick with wheels on it.

I take full responsibility for my portion of the thread drift. :) The "death-threat-smart-car" on the highway the other day made me almost lose it, so I vented here...

But yeah, I won't be driving any econobox, made by anyone.
I am pondering something such as a Chevy Equinox, which although appearing wimpy after driving trucks and Jeeps for 20 years; is comparable to an Outback, and is American made whether anyone thinks that is worthwhile any more or not. Certainly not a Volt or anything like that.

It's the timing of the lights that hyper milers screw up. A lot of turn arrows will not change if nobody is there. People rolling slowly to time the straight light make others miss the arrow completely. Instead of trying to eek out 20 mpg from a large vehicle, I bought a Toyota yaris. I drive it like I stole it and still get 35 mpg. This thread inspired me to do the math, and since I bought it, I've saved $18000 in fuel over an average xj. There are 120,000 fewer miles on my xj, and the car cost $12000. 6k in my pocket and 85 mph on the freeway all day. Time is money and hyper miling isn't saving either.

I don't think hypermilers would coast to a point where they would cause an arrow to be missed, because of course that would be bad for mileage...I counted today, and I coasted through 35 intersections as the light went green where the guys next to me slammed their brakes at the red light, and then gunned it to keep up with me. That burns gas, brakes, and tires; there's no disputing it.

And, okay, I did the math, it's not off quite as far as I thought it was, but still by a good chunk.
$18,000 in gas at $3.50 = 5142 gallons.
5142 gallons x the reported 35 mpg you are getting = 179,970 miles.
But yet you said 120,000 miles less on your Jeep.

120,000 miles in Jeep / 16 mpg = 7500 gallons x $3.50=$26,250.
120,000 miles in Yugo / 35 mpg = 3428 gallons x $3.50=$11,998.

$26,250-$11,998=$14,252 difference in fuel cost for 120,000 miles.
That's about 3/4 of your calculation, and the 35 sounds pretty high...

Still a significant number of course no matter, but for $1700 per year, yes, I would chose to drive a stock XJ around, or split the dif and get something larger and more capable than a Yaris.

Aldous and hubs97xj have, in three simple lines, said all that really needs to said on this subject...

Clowns indeed! As my boss from London used to say, "Superb", except I don't know how to write it the way he said it.

I really should have just left it at that huh...

To end my portion of the thread drift, I can not answer absolutely. But with an enginerd for a brother and having spoken about this a lot here is my take.

If you re-designed a stock vehicle with an overabundance of power to have a smaller motor, yes you would probably save fuel.
ie: if the stock XJ had 400 HP.
The stock XJ barely has enough power as it is on significant hills.
To take an underpowered vehicle and further drop the power seems like it would have a negative effect on mpg.
It is easy for me to envision a stroker with more power increasing the mpg as long as you were actually driving and weren't just sitting in bumper to bumper traffic with Yaris's (Yari?) in your way all day...

Fini.

I did my calculations at $4 a gallon, being it was almost $5 a gallon when I bought the car and it's back at 4.40 a gallon now. I calculated the jeep at 15, and if I drive my jeep like I drive my yaris, it would be closer to 10. 35 does sound high, however I fill it at about 10 gallons each time, so at 340 to 360 miles per tank, it would be hard to dispute. Fortunately I work in construction, so my commute is usually before peak hours and most of it is at 80-85 without weaving in and out of traffic. My current commute is 900+miles per week, so im saving far more than $1700 per year. For me it's kind of a moot point, as I have a company fuel card, but I'd still feel like a douche destroying an xj driving it over 175 miles a day five or six days a week. If my commute was lass than 30 or 40 miles a day, I'd probably drive my jeep at least some of the time.

The stock XJ barely has enough power as it is on significant hills.
To take an underpowered vehicle and further drop the power seems like it would have a negative effect on mpg.
Which is almost the case with a 4cyl XJ. MPGs improve by maybe one or two, if at all when compared to the 4.0. Definitely not enough to be worth the loss of power.

Back