• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Engine Designed for Long Distance

Im not sure if this thread even answered AlabamaDan's question. That probably why he didnt even bother to post on it. I was hoping for a better result. Im wanting the same thing. The strokers do look cool though. I might just biuld my own and be happy with whatever mpg's I get. I would rather be happy with my rig than just be stressed with numbers and such. Does that make sense?

It started off answering his question, but got sidetracked. The same things that you put in a stroker build would help any engine and more power should yield better mpgs.

Ya, it makes sense to me. It takes less energy to do the same task when you are using something with more power therfore you store more energy. Right?

Maybe my logic is off

Im not sure if this thread even answered AlabamaDan's question. That probably why he didnt even bother to post on it. I was hoping for a better result. Im wanting the same thing. The strokers do look cool though. I might just biuld my own and be happy with whatever mpg's I get. I would rather be happy with my rig than just be stressed with numbers and such. Does that make sense?

Do that. As others have said, if built right, you should at least break even.

Im not sure if this thread even answered AlabamaDan's question.

It absolutely answered his question though. He asked if anyone has built a 4.0 in a way that has improved fuel economy. Many people, myself included, have done so and posted up about it.

What the thread did not do is provide the answer he was expecting, based on his post.. but the answer is there just the same.

If you do it properly burn and coast doesn't get in the way of anyone.

If you see a red light or know the light will turn red when you get there coasting or even slowing down increases the time it takes to get to that light which eats up time normally spent sitting at that light stopped.

I do it in my rigs and my XJ. EVERYONE flys past to get to that red light and jams on the brakes only to sit at the red light for half a minute only for me to roll right past them when the light turns green using a small amount of throttle to bring my speed back up to 60 km/h from 40 km/h or so. It is more important in a truck since it takes so much energy (fuel) and time to start from a stop when loaded.

I've been doing this since I was a kid. Pretty simple physics no? Roll the stop, use less brakes and use less gas getting rolling again, simple....
I don't know if my society is quite as modern as socal lol but I think it might be, I see lights go green every single day before I get to the line.

@ the other guy, I have a hard time believing there are sensors that detect the distance between cars rolling to a light that would prevent it from going green. It's more likely that the longer distance between cars would tell the sensors there's more weight and a longer lineup at the light giving it precedence over the other direction if anything. But for the most part, I think they are just timed. The weight / magnetic sensors only come into play late at night. If you have access to data that proves otherwise, post it up. There's plenty of peace officers around here, what's the word?

But in general, if someone wants to trip out behind me oh well. There's so many pissed off people in the world I don't give them the time of day, just completely ignore them. It's your stress, not mine.

It's the timing of the lights that hyper milers screw up. A lot of turn arrows will not change if nobody is there. People rolling slowly to time the straight light make others miss the arrow completely. Instead of trying to eek out 20 mpg from a large vehicle, I bought a Toyota yaris. I drive it like I stole it and still get 35 mpg. This thread inspired me to do the math, and since I bought it, I've saved $18000 in fuel over an average xj. There are 120,000 fewer miles on my xj, and the car cost $12000. 6k in my pocket and 85 mph on the freeway all day. Time is money and hyper miling isn't saving either.

lol I don't call it hypermiling, I call it taking my foot off the gas when I see a red light.
I get the turn arrow thing, but as for the going forward lights, just how does it screw that up?

It doesn't matter who blames who; you put enough clowns in enough cars on the same roads, and they'll screw up traffic. Obviously, the delays are always someone else' fault.

Aldous and hubs97xj have, in three simple lines, said all that really needs to said on this subject...

Clowns indeed! As my boss from London used to say, "Superb", except I don't know how to write it the way he said it.

I bought a Toyota yaris. I drive it like I stole it.

I came back just to say lol. (LOL) I was on the highway today, and there was a XXXXin smart car just bobbin and weavin all over three lanes at 75mph during early rush hour; taking everyone's life in his XXXXin hands, clearly pissed at the XXXXing world.

You go buddy, yugo.

What ever money you saved by driving a yugo, I would have gladly spent to not be sitting in a yugo for 120,000 miles.

Life's too short dude, chill out.

A Toyota is a far cry from a yugo, and more of my car was built in America than any of the big 3. As far as chilling out, who said I wasn't? I don't swerve all over, but I do roll 85 on the freeway. Jack rabbit stats are the norm. Still get 35mpg and I'll get another 200,000 miles out of this little Toyota. At the 300000 mile mark, that money you'd gladly give up will be well over 30k. Commuting in a 4x4 is like burning money. I've only pointed out the fuel savings, but I can buy 4 tires for this car for what I spend on 1 35" pitbull maddog and I'll get twice the miles out of a set. On the street, this car is more comfortable and fun to drive than my xj as well. I like being able to save my xj for fun instead of piling 1000 miles a week on it. To each his own, have fun chasing a few mpgs while I get where I'm going at speed and double your mileage.

:) I'm mostly just playin with you, but I do get a kick out of people gunning an econobox around. That smart car was really playing with people's lives.
Not kidding, he had a few inches to spare on some of the passes. But we're the bad guys cause we are burning a little extra gas. He was clearly not in a rush, just trying to make a point. (kinda like you with your bs numbers)

I don't commute in a built jeep on 35's, but I don't own any foreign cars either.
My previous gf had a honda fit and I hated every single moment in that vehicle.
Yes, I would absolutely pay several grand a year extra to not sit in a wannabe yugo.

My new gf has a non lifted wrangler, and we both agree, no foreign econo boxes for us.
You can argue all you want about parts and where it was built, but in the end, the royalties go back to the primary company. In your case, Japan.
Can't you at least buy an American econobox?
And if you're so crazy concerned with a few dimes, why do you even own a vehicle on 35's? Do you tow it to the trailhead with your yugo?

I enjoy the hell out of my xj, and don't care what kind of mileage I get in it. I also own a wj and an f250. As far as where the profits go, didn't fiat buy a controlling interest in Chrysler? Didn't our government bail out gm? Call my numbers bs if you want, but I low balled them at $4 a gallon as we know it will go up. Show me an American made economy car that rivals this Toyota in price, build quality, and longevity and it will be my next commuter.

Can't you at least buy an American econobox?
And if you're so crazy concerned with a few dimes, why do you even own a vehicle on 35's? Do you tow it to the trailhead with your yugo?

Why would you want to? I drove beater VW's for years, when an American car is as cheap to buy and run and as much fun to drive I'll consider buying one. Sadly the only appealing American products are trucks and that has been the case for decades :(

Ford fiesta, designed by ford Europe, built in Brantford, Ontario,Canada. If you think like nafta, Canada is American made, but I don't. Try again. I won't even go into longevity being its a ford.

Back