• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Engine bolts

FattyMcFatfat27

NAXJA Forum User
I have a 96 Cherokee sport 4.0. I bought it used a little while ago, while my friend was driving it and he said it started to violently shake, so he pulled over and turned it off and wouldn't start again. What had happened was the 3 right side engine mount bolts broke and it sloped over and broke the distributor. I got out 2 that were flush with the engine, but the last one was in a little deeper. Tried an "easy out" drill bit but the name lies, and the tip broke off inside. I'm not too sure what kind of bolts came from the factory, ill research that a little. I was debating on buying the "bomb proof" engine mounts, but I was wondering if there was another way to fix it. Preferably cheaper...I was thinking of just using 2 grade 8 bolts. I found a chart on the internet showing that 1 3/8th bolt(which fit my XJ) can hold around 11Klbs. I'm wondering if 2 would be enough. Anybody have any experience or input?

Kind of a common problem. Original bolts that have Torx head a soft bolt and break. When mine broke I drilled them out and used an easy out. Soak the bolts with penetrating oil and they should come out....

May want to modify your engine mount and pick up additional bolt holes that are around the engine mount.

http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=72062

Last edited:
May be of no use to you, but browndogoffroad makes fully welded mounts and brackets and comes with all new equivalent to grade 8 or better hardware... Put them on my stroker, and the motor isn't going anywhere :) I had a small issue called at 9pm on a saturday the guy gladly answered the phone and told me what to do. Awesome!

Use a Dremel or die grinder with a small bit and grind that easy out until you can get it out.

Use a torch, heat the broken bolt, then as it cools hit it with some penetrating oil--don't set things on fire. Repeat a couple times, then use a left-hand drill bit to back it out.

Stop using "Easy-outs", they aren't.

Mine is a DD and mild wheeler, I wouldn't run with two bolts.

Kind of a common problem. Original bolts that have Torx head a soft bolt and break. When mine broke I drilled them out and used an easy out. Soak the bolts with penetrating oil and they should come out....

May want to modify your engine mount and pick up additional bolt holes that are around the engine mount.

http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=72062
Never heard of torx bolts on the engine mounts TBH. Mine have always been hex heads.

Use a Dremel or die grinder with a small bit and grind that easy out until you can get it out.

Use a torch, heat the broken bolt, then as it cools hit it with some penetrating oil--don't set things on fire. Repeat a couple times, then use a left-hand drill bit to back it out.

Stop using "Easy-outs", they aren't.

Mine is a DD and mild wheeler, I wouldn't run with two bolts.
X2, a better name would be "easy-snap". They're great if you are a robot and can apply torque exactly on the axis of the tool with no side loading at all, else you are liable to break one.

It's too bad that one broke off below the surface of the engine block, my standard trick is to throw a nut on the stub and weld it on. Works great, but not in this case...

my xj was like this when i bought it (one reason i got it cheap!)

i had to drill out all 3 bolts, heat them up with a torch then spray pb blaster in them, then used the extractor bits. it took a few hours. i'm also running the brown dog mount that gives 4 places to mount. no problems yet, its been over a year now.

I remember one guy couldn't get a broken bolt out so he bought the Brown Dog bracket and ran with just three bolts in it.

Back