• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Eliminating the "tick, tick, tick"

I have done it on many cars to clean them out...

you only keep in in there 5-15 mins... then dump it and change it

Not advocating it, but in the olden days, we did full ATF fill, let it idle for 5 minutes. Changed it out with a new filter and fresh oil. ATF atually has a very high film strength.

I have done it on many cars to clean them out...

you only keep in in there 5-15 mins... then dump it and change it

5-15 min probably isn't to bad, but ATF has a low viscosity.

Its probably very similar to MMO, but you don't do 50/50 w/ MMO. Just a quart of MMO at most. Also, idle isn't the best RPM for a flat tappet cam engine due to not enough oil being slung at the cam shaft.

Last edited:
you might also try doing a couple 50/50 oil, trans fluid flushes to the engine

Run it short-term (15-30 minutes, an hour tops) before you flush the stuff out - automatic transmission fluid is antagonistic to engine seals, due to the high detergent content.

Automatic transmission fluid uses a 10-vis base oil, MMO is slightly less (5-8, I think.) The ATF flush is useful due to the high detergent content, but that's also what makes it rough on engine seals.

Either way, running a 50/50 mix isn't necessarily a good idea - I wouldn't cut more than 1/3 (and I usually run 1/6 when I do it.) You can also run Diesel to cut crud, but that should only be run for a short time (15 min or less!)

I also wouldn't flush out the engine running it at idle, I'll usually dump in a pint of B12 (for instance) and run it at idle for a couple of minutes, then bump it up and run it around 2000-4000rpm (varying throttle) to get everything blown out. Change the oil HOT - it will carry more crud out that way.

Last edited:
Its probably very similar to MMO, but you don't do 50/50 w/ MMO. Just a quart of MMO at most. Also, idle isn't the best RPM for a flat tappet cam engine due to not enough oil being slung at the cam shaft.

Like I said, it's what we did in the olden days with American V-8s. I certainly don't advocate it now and prefer the 1 quart of MMO and a quick drive before immediately draining. I used some BG109 recently before a change. It's supposed to free up the rings. I think it's kinda like Seafoam. Might have cleaned out the rings but the lifter still did it's in and out cyclical click after the oil change. So I did the 3700 RPM deal for three minutes. Took care of it.

It is a shame 5-90 does not recall telling me how to fix the engine tic with the 3700 rpm run for several minutes, LOL.

I found out the hard way how much damage too much cleaner in the oil can do when the oil pump croaked on junk in the inlet in my 78 Dodge. But it did clean the engine faster, LOL!!!

Last edited:
Mike, did you get the exploded view of a lifter that I PMed you? Perhaps you could post it up here for everyone to see.

Yes I did, thanks, but, opps, I think I already deleted it. Not sure how to post a PDF here anyway?

lifterdiagram.jpg

sidebyside.jpg

P1210418.JPG

Back