• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

electric fan swap

Spanky414 said:
I don't know man, I know my weather doesn't get nearly as hot as AZ but up here there is lots of XJs running with just the one clutch fan and it doesn't seem to be a huge problem. Think of all the XJs that didn't have A/C? Or ones that did but the A/C is long gone and the fan died years ago.

only 4 cyls and V6 xj's came with a single fan all 4.0's came with dual fans because of the shape fo the radiator

jeepcherokee95 said:
I can tell you this one thing about the electric swap:

I took off my cluthc fan and had an INSTANT and NOTICEABLE seat of the pants performance boost over the stock fan.

If for nothing else the HP gains when crawling are worth the change - fuel mileage gains over slinging a viscous fan are worth the change. Yes you would have to drive alot of miles to pay for the fan but at 1mpg ($1.72) saved I would only have to make one trip to Tulsa to pay for my fan...the return trip would be free - that's not bad!

My fan will pull 3300cfm I think that is enough to cool in any type driving.

JC95

jeepcherokee95, what fan did you get that pulls 3300cfm?

I had an 87 MJ 4.0 with no A/C and no electric fan and have an 88 XJ 4.0 with no A/C and no electric fan.

Maybe its a Canada thing.

Don't get me wrong I want to put one in to help with all the low speed stuff.

I'm pretty sure the 87 and 88 would be running the V6's like xjnation mentioned, which came with 1 fan, where the later inline 6's came with the dual fans.

And in my case, I'm not looking to swap to electric for power or heat issues (I live in New England, heat isn't really a big issue) I'm looking to swap for safety issues. My radiator may have been pushed back slightly and the stock fan may have been damaged in a front end crash. By replacing the stock fan with an electric, I don't have to worry about the radiator and fan not aligning or the possibility of the fan tearing into the radiator if something is way off.

Any time I or a friend have had a heat issue it was crawling around in the bush not on the road.

As for the engine, they are most definatly the 4.0

Both my 88 XJs have a 4.0 and my old MJ did as did my buddies 87 Wag.

Yes, they are a 4.0, but they are not the High Output 4.0. They made the switch between 90 and 91. The 90 and older engines were Renix engines that only had a single fan. 91 and newers are High Outputs and should have the dual fans. When he mentioned the 4.0's, I'm pretty sure he meant the high output ones.

I had an 89 XJ and used to have problems with it over heating when I would be on the trail for an extended period of time. I installed THe Flex-a-Lite low profile fan PN 400-110 at jegs. After that everything was great I could idle all day long and it wouldn't get hot. I did have to cut the old fan bolts down but other than that it fit perfectly. It also had the adjustable thermostat and the manual shutoff switch was a good option to. I personnally liked it alot.

I made my own fan setup using the factory a/c fan and a fan from a chrysler lh car with my fan shroud. It works great. Since I put on board air on I just made my own a/c compressor bracket that hold 2 a/c compressors and used 2 idler pulleys and a 115 inch belt and I was good to go.

nhrocker said:
Yes, they are a 4.0, but they are not the High Output 4.0. They made the switch between 90 and 91. The 90 and older engines were Renix engines that only had a single fan. 91 and newers are High Outputs and should have the dual fans. When he mentioned the 4.0's, I'm pretty sure he meant the high output ones.

I don't want to pull the :bs: too soon because I'm assumeing you are still talking about the 4.0L with no A/C but just for reference I've got a '90 with A/C and it has the mechanical fan and the electric fan next to it and its a renix, and my dad has an '89 with the same setup.

Most people I've heard that do this mod just replace the mechanical fan with a high CFM electric and keep the stock electric, not just having one electric fan. I've considered replacing my mechanical fan with one I pulled out of my wifes dodge caravan as it was a dual electric fan setup where 1 fan burnt up and the other is still good as I've checked my mech. clutch and its gone.First I need to find the CFM rating on the good electric before I do it.

I live just out of death vally and I only have problems overheating while driving slow in 110-120 deg. summer weather while running the A/C. :rattle:

The only XJ's I've had to work on were 92's and newer (engines at least). I was just saying what I had read in some research on here about engines. I don't recall what they said about w/ or w/o AC, but 90 to 91 was when the engines were replaced and I thought they had added the second fan as a standard item instead of with AC (or possibly with a towing package?). There's a good chance this is BS. Someone who worked in a dealership or has more experience might be able to shed some light on if it was always available or standard.

87 has 4.0, at least mine does....

nhrocker said:
I'm pretty sure the 87 and 88 would be running the V6's like xjnation mentioned, which came with 1 fan, where the later inline 6's came with the dual fans.

And in my case, I'm not looking to swap to electric for power or heat issues (I live in New England, heat isn't really a big issue) I'm looking to swap for safety issues. My radiator may have been pushed back slightly and the stock fan may have been damaged in a front end crash. By replacing the stock fan with an electric, I don't have to worry about the radiator and fan not aligning or the possibility of the fan tearing into the radiator if something is way off.

WOW nice SPOBI! my 90 had both fans, my 89 had both fans and my current 87 has both........

nhrocker said:

xjnation said:
So why do you want ot do it in the first place? Besides throw money away?

On a previous discussion there was a quote which in part means 'if your cooling system is not up to the job, fix it'. I replaced the radiator, thermostat, waterpump and fan clutch in my XJ and it still over heated at idle. I replaced both the mechanical and electrical fans with dual fans totalling more than 4,000 CFM and had never been happier. The fans never come on above 45 MPH, I get better off-the-stop light launches and an extra 2 MPG with my cruise control on at 75 MPH. With more that 30,000 miles on my electric fans, they have paid for themself many time over.

JnJ- Did you read my last post?
me said:
The only XJ's I've had to work on were 92's and newer (engines at least). I was just saying what I had read in some research on here about engines. I don't recall what they said about w/ or w/o AC, but 90 to 91 was when the engines were replaced and I thought they had added the second fan as a standard item instead of with AC (or possibly with a towing package?). There's a good chance this is BS. Someone who worked in a dealership or has more experience might be able to shed some light on if it was always available or standard.
I would be the first to admit that it could be complete BS, I was just trying to put out information I had. If you know the details about what was or was not available from the factory, by all means tell us! I would like to know the correct information! But just replying that yours have the second fan doesn't help. We already established that some do and some don't, I for one would like to know why.

And I should have labeled it better, that from 90-91 they swapped from a non HO 4.0 to the HO 4.0, so yes it is still a 4.0 (wether or not it makes a difference to the dual fans-I have no idea)

And again, if any of this is BS, please just give the correct information. I have no problem with someone pointing out my info is BS as long as they have the correction. I have just been trying to help, but my main reason for coming to NAXJA was to get help myself and to learn more. Thank you and sorry for the rant....
:gag:

Back