• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Electric fan conversion install (DAILUP BEWARE!!!)

Cipey said:
I don't know if this has been asked or not, but...what size belt did you use?

its still just the stock belt. i jsut unbolted the fan and put the bolts back on since they hold the pulley on too.

i finally got the fans in and running today!!!!!!!!! i got it in there about a week ago when i got the radiator back but havent had a nice day to work on it. i also had to go and get some more 10g wire, relays, and fuses to wire up everything. so far ive only had it idling around the yard and a couple donuts in the snow. the temp has yet to pass 210* and i havent wired in my aux fan override yet so im pretty confident that even when im pushin the jeep hard, with all 3 fans goin it should be fine.

it sucks not having a garage to work in. damn the cold and the snow
8z2nty.jpg

heres the whole setup painted and radiator back from cleanin. in the second pic u can see were i used some 1/4" hose i had layin around and cut it to fit the edges
xm3jva.jpg

13zpf8n.jpg

i only ran into one problem as i was dropping it into place as one assembly. on the passenger side of the lower bracket i made to mount the fans to, it was interfering with the top inside corner of the front "frame" rail.
207rd78.jpg

simple answer was just cut a section of the bracket out and i rotated the u-nut so that the tab of it would clear
zxjzfa.jpg

FIT LIKE A GLOVE!!!!!
103eik1.jpg

shoot from above. u can also see that i didnt even need to trim the ends of the bolts from the mech. fan. All in all, i really good fit.
2q16n14.jpg

the driver side of the setup. notice how the aux fan shroud just barely clears the lower radaitor hose and top of the steering box.
169qgc2.jpg

so far it seems to be working great, but like a said before thats just around the backyard and its in the low 40's here. i figure it should work fine since thats only on the 2 main fans, the aux fan has yet to come on (i think it might have have a bad relay or fuse) but i plan on rewiring so i can have my override switch on it. when on the trails, ill probly just leave all 3 fans on. ill have more updates when i rewire the aux fan and ill get a wiring diagram of how i did it for others to use.

One big Taurus fan is like 17", but it does not good because the radiator is so wide. I've been through all this. The Tauruas fan pulls lots of air through maybe 40% of the radiator... thats it. Not good. The sides aren't getting cool.

You can do two side by side twin 12 or 14" fans, but still not covering the entire radiator, plus making a good shroud is hard. THREE 10" fans across is a really good move BUT...

My problem was my engine was heating up, and making my fans so hot... they would shut off and quit working due to the built in "auto shut off" when they get up to a certain temp. Double screwed! Hot engine, no fans!! It sucked big fat donkey testes, and runied a couple potentially fun weekends.

The solution:
On the inside, keep the mechanical fan.. WITH A SHROUD. With the stock shroud the opening suits a 14" fan blade... which is small. Most Flex-a-lite brand fan blades are 17,18" inch. Boo.
Flex-a-lite makes a plastic "nylon" low profile economy 14" fan that is only $19.00 and pulls a good bit of air. Perfect... bot her on there.

On the front PUSHING electric fans is the key!!
Becuase they are away from the hot engine compartment. My hood is vented and everything, my fans still quit working on those 95 degree August days when mounted inside.

I'm going to do my best to fit three 10" fans across the front, inside the grille recessed area. I will let you know how it works out.
I've done a lot of options, upgraded to a 3 core radiator... tried multiple electric fan combos. No luck yet.

I think the 3 - 10" PUSHER fans are the best bet,
along with a internal mechanical shrouded puller too.

I am doing the same, keeping the stock mechanical but am looking at adding a pusher. I have a Perma cool picked out at Summitracing. It pushes 3000 CFM only problem is its 12" i may cut some nose away. Also i have a M8000 winch that is kinda in the way too so room on my front is very limited.

Pullers are more efficient than pusshers. Don't ask me why because I do not know the answer :)

I never had a problem with my flex a lite fans turning off either. Not that there were any 95 degree days.....

But I have no hood vents, and my vehicle is black, and I was out in the sun in a sandy area just ldling away. With a cracked exhaust manifold.

So I'm sure underhood temps were warmer than that for sure!!

Last edited:
barillms said:
One big Taurus fan is like 17", but it does not good because the radiator is so wide. I've been through all this. The Tauruas fan pulls lots of air through maybe 40% of the radiator... thats it. Not good. The sides aren't getting cool.

You can do two side by side twin 12 or 14" fans, but still not covering the entire radiator, plus making a good shroud is hard. THREE 10" fans across is a really good move BUT...

My problem was my engine was heating up, and making my fans so hot... they would shut off and quit working due to the built in "auto shut off" when they get up to a certain temp. Double screwed! Hot engine, no fans!! It sucked big fat donkey testes, and runied a couple potentially fun weekends.

The solution:
On the inside, keep the mechanical fan.. WITH A SHROUD. With the stock shroud the opening suits a 14" fan blade... which is small. Most Flex-a-lite brand fan blades are 17,18" inch. Boo.
Flex-a-lite makes a plastic "nylon" low profile economy 14" fan that is only $19.00 and pulls a good bit of air. Perfect... bot her on there.

On the front PUSHING electric fans is the key!!
Becuase they are away from the hot engine compartment. My hood is vented and everything, my fans still quit working on those 95 degree August days when mounted inside.

I'm going to do my best to fit three 10" fans across the front, inside the grille recessed area. I will let you know how it works out.
I've done a lot of options, upgraded to a 3 core radiator... tried multiple electric fan combos. No luck yet.

I think the 3 - 10" PUSHER fans are the best bet,
along with a internal mechanical shrouded puller too.

with cheap fans that is expected. a high quality fan will not shut down just because its 95 degrees out. those 10 dollar fans suck and are a waste of money. the stock mechanical fan pulls more than 4x the air that one of those fans will push or pull.

great idea with the two fans, but i think effort could have been better spent else where.

Another + for electric fans is you never have to worry about your mechanical fan grenading the radiator when they touch.

Espeically when running a 3 core...which is thicker/wider.

Hey, I gotta question... is the stock electric fan 10"? And if it is could ya just use two more of those shrouds for the other two fans?

The only reservations I have about doin a taurus conversion is the massive amperage they use! I'd like this to be a under-$100-install so using three electric fans is outta the question...

Some have used two 97+ 10 blade A/C stock fans side by side successfully. From primitive tests I have done the later stock fans put out over 2000 CFM. Close to 2500 cfm would be my estimate by just comparing directly to another 2500 CFM rated fan installed next to one. I could not tell the difference between the two.

That's great! So if you just used two later model a/c fans, you'd have pretty much if not more cfm than a taurus fan? Seems like that'd be an easier install too. That's the reason I'm afraid of having an up to 90 amp fan...

I have the Taurus AND the stock A/C fan. Very rarely have I had to run at full speed on the Taurus so the amp draw is low when on the lower speed. But I was so glad to have the extra the few times I have needed the high speed. :)

PurpleCherokee said:
That does it, I'm makin a thread to see if anyone knows cfm's for stock fans...

Good luck as seen it asked many times and no one has published data on them.

jeeper01 said:
One day you all are going to put so many fans in the front of one XJ and it is going to take off like an airplane.

That should keep them cool then as elevation is a great cooling factor.

Back