• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Ebay: Refund or Not to Refund?

Entitled to a full refund?

• Yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No

Votes: 5 50.0%
  • Partial (please explain in a response)

Votes: 5 50.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Jhumphrey

NAXJA Forum User
Ok, so here's the deal. I sold a clockspring on ebay that I didn't need. I had pulled it from an xj and tested it for continuity and also popped it open to see that the ribbon was still connected. Both gave me positive results. I didnt install the c/s on my xj to "test it" otherwise. I figured with the two positive results, there was no need. So I posted it up for sale to make some extra cash.

I decided that I would list it with a low opening bid because I had not physically installed it. I also listed it "as is" with "no warranty/refunds" and was point blank up front with my description. I also posted up that it was a 14 year old part and couldn't guarantee anything.

Fast forward a couple of weeks after I sold the c/s. The buyer had not left any feedback, so I thought "oh well". Then I get a message from him today saying this:

"My mechanic laughed at me when I showed him this part. I still paid him to install it but obviously it didn't work. A piece was broken off the back, a sign (he said) that the person who removed it did so incorrectly. It was also turned in a way it should not have been. I also have to say I was surprised to pull it out of the box and find it covered in dirt/cobwebs.

I understand "as is" and "does not accept returns" etc but wanted to give you an opportunity to do the right thing and refund me with a return before I write bad review, etc.

Your call, thx"

I did respond to him. I told him that I was unsure of what piece his mechanic was referring to, as I didn't notice any pieces missing when I pulled it. I told him I wouldn't have listed it had I thought for any reason it didnt work, but that I couldn't (and wouldn't) guarantee it because of its age/unknown history. I told him that I wasn't going to refund anything, as I was as honest and up front as I could be in the posting about it. He did reply and told me that one of the white tabs was broken off and wasn't in the box. I'm 99.999% sure that I didnt overlook a broken tab when I was inspecting it. Anyway, he also chose to berate my shipping cost and packing methods in that email.

Anyway, I'd like to see what public opinion is on whether or not I should've refunded him. I still fully believe he knew it was a risk and is unhappy that the dice didn't go his way. I also fully expect to lose my 100% positive feedback ranking.

If it were me, I would tell him to pay to return ship it back to me and refund the monies.

I have had this same exact scenario happen and when they realize how expensive it is to ship said item back, they usually fold.

Shipping is expensive.

I feel your pain, as something similar happened to me years ago on Ebay. My advice is this: is you value your 100% feedback rating, keep the communication with the guy going on, and offer a partial refund, at least less shipping (you did, after all, pack and ship it, even if you did it poorly, which I'm not saying you did, but I cant know all from where i sit here). One nasty review from one guy probably wont kill your "reputation", but you never know, people are funny sometimes. Just my two cents.
Rich

People will do anything to screw you out of cash. We had a situation at my hotel this week where a guest screamed at a great employee of ours for a coffee that took 3 minutes. He demanded a handwritten letter of apology from thr MOD and a free night at our 4 star resort. Jackass. He was denied, but only partially.

If your ebay feedback rating is important, and you don't have much other feedback, you don't have much choice, you'll have to refund him. I'd definitely not refund him the money without getting the part back though.

That being said...

The white tabs on the back break off really easy, as do the black tabs that hold it to the steering column. I've installed several with one or two broken black tabs to no ill effect (its not like it can move anywhere). The white tabs cancel the turn signals, and with just one, it'll still cancel for 90 percent of turns in one direction and 100 percent in the other.

But generally if you need a clockspring, its because of electrical and the canceling turn signals take a back seat to getting cruise control, air bags, and horn working. I've seen and installed some very dirty/dusty clock springs with no issue, and it sounds like the guy (or his mechanic) is at least hunting a little bit, especially since you verified continuity before shipping.

If your ebay feedback rating is important, and you don't have much other feedback, you don't have much choice, you'll have to refund him. I'd definitely not refund him the money without getting the part back though.

That being said...

The white tabs on the back break off really easy, as do the black tabs that hold it to the steering column. I've installed several with one or two broken black tabs to no ill effect (its not like it can move anywhere). The white tabs cancel the turn signals, and with just one, it'll still cancel for 90 percent of turns in one direction and 100 percent in the other.

But generally if you need a clockspring, its because of electrical and the canceling turn signals take a back seat to getting cruise control, air bags, and horn working. I've seen and installed some very dirty/dusty clock springs with no issue, and it sounds like the guy (or his mechanic) is at least hunting a little bit, especially since you verified continuity before shipping.

I don't really sell off ebay often. This was my second sell in ~6 years. I just don't like the hassle, but I decided that would be the easiest way to reach a broad audience.

Anyway, I have removed and installed several c/s's (from my rig to helping others) and have never had a bad experience with it. I think the c/s is still good and either 1) his "mechanic" doesn't know what he's doing or 2) he has some other electrical issue with his jeep. The end result is that I will never know. I'm trying not to be "that guy" and see it from his perspective, but I was honest and up front about the c/s. He was the one that ultimately took the risk to save a few bucks (there were other c/s's posted for bid, but were $30+ more than mine to start with) and it didn't pay off. I've been there before myself.

In the end, I'll just live with the negative feedback he leaves since Im not a professional ebayer and from what I can tell, ebay doesn't offer sellers an appeal process.

You can always contact ebay and forward his shenanigans. If it clearly states as-is/no refunds then its their own damn fault.
But I would request the part be sent back for a refund. Seems reasonable.

Why does he think it doesn't work? Airbag light? Horn? Cruise?

Cruise will only work if the donor vehicle had it. If you listed it correctly and/or with a part number, that is on him to determine. It may also not work with certain DTCs set - when I had a bad head gasket it would only work about 75% of the time, I thought the buttons were bad on my wheel but it works 100% of the time now that I've fixed it and have no CEL. Tell him to kick rocks.

If the horn doesn't work or the airbag light is on, it might be a valid complaint, or maybe his idiot mechanic didn't center the clockspring or wheel properly and it tore the first time he drove it.

Ebay sucks. As a buyer I ordered some restoration stickers for my 71. I paid for them on the spot. I got my stickers a few days later. A couple of weeks later I got a letter from ebay stating I didnt pay for my items. I told them I did and that I received my order. I paid for this stuff with a gift card and could not prove that I did pay because I discarded the gift card when I was done with it. Anyway they shut down my ebay account for nonpayment. Before that I had 100% pos. feedback with over 300 sales and at least 500 things purchased. I had to jump through hoops just to open another account and they would not put all my hard earned feedback on my new account.
If that guy that bought the c/s keeps bitchen he will get his way.
You dont have to pay for return shipping but they will take the money from your account for the item.
Heres what I do when I ship anything. I take pictures just before and while I am packaging it. Then I print some pics. and send them with the item. If its a used item I put a mark (in a hidden area) on it so I will know if it is the same item I shipped.
Like I said if you loose the dispute they will take all the funds from your paypal and linked accounts. Ebay and paypal sleep together so your not going to beat em.
Make sure you ban that seller from bidding on your auctions. You could also buy something cheap from him and do the same thing to him. LOL. Payback rules!! Good luck.

Offer him a refund, minus the shipping costs. I'd make sure to note that normally you wouldn't offer this because of your no return, as-is policy. This way, if he escalates it to an ebay complaint, you at least have proof that you offered him the refund if the item was returned.

Why does he think it doesn't work? Airbag light? Horn? Cruise?

Cruise will only work if the donor vehicle had it. If you listed it correctly and/or with a part number, that is on him to determine. It may also not work with certain DTCs set - when I had a bad head gasket it would only work about 75% of the time, I thought the buttons were bad on my wheel but it works 100% of the time now that I've fixed it and have no CEL. Tell him to kick rocks.

If the horn doesn't work or the airbag light is on, it might be a valid complaint, or maybe his idiot mechanic didn't center the clockspring or wheel properly and it tore the first time he drove it.

I'm not sure, he didn't say. What I posted up as his correspondence to me was exactly what he wrote. As I said before, the part was showing "functioning" (if you will...) before I posted it for sale. I did this simply to avoid any issues down the road. I simply didnt install it on my XJ for a "field test". There is any number of things that could have happened to cause it not to work once it was installed, which is exactly why I don't feel obligated to deal with him.

If he goes further with eBay, let them do what they will. I will continue to fight it as far as I can, as I am not out to underhand anyone. I listed the item cheaper than all the others and was straight forward clear on its condition. He took a risk that didn't pay off for him and now he wants his money back...that isn't my fault. He could've spent $30+ more on one that had a "guarantee" from a professional eBayer. One look at my profile and it is clear that eBay isn't my career.

Ultimately, I was trying to help someone out that needed a c/s and to undercut the ridiculous prices on eBay of today...looks like I could be the one that ends up with the short end of the stick. :rolleyes:

C'est la vie.

Back