• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

E-code H4 headlight conversion with comparison pics Cheaper than Silverstars

Osram seems to be the ones I've had the most success with. Can't remember the exact watts on mine... but I'm thinking 65/80 or thereabouts. Plenty bright and never get flashed.

Bought the Autopals and am very disappointed in the beam pattern. Much more narrow than the Silverstars with two distict hot spots. Can't even see the sides of the road. Nice and bright with good cut off for the money. I did keep them when I sold the Jeep.

Have any of you had the same problem and did replacing the bulbs fix it due to filiment placement? I still have the original bulbs sent with the lens. I haven't upgraded the wiring either. I thought I should do that first.

Bought the Autopals and am very disappointed in the beam pattern. Much more narrow than the Silverstars with two distict hot spots. Can't even see the sides of the road. Nice and bright with good cut off for the money. I did keep them when I sold the Jeep.

Have any of you had the same problem and did replacing the bulbs fix it due to filiment placement? I still have the original bulbs sent with the lens. I haven't upgraded the wiring either. I thought I should do that first.

You sure you got the e-code ones?

Putco.com makes a great generic H4 heavy duty wiring harness (part #230004HW) for $31 (amazon.com w/free shipping). It includes (2) 30A relays to independently switch the lo-hi beams.

And, because it uses 1 of the OEM headlight sockets to trigger the relays, the OEM foglights work normally. I later wired a separate harness for some Hella foglights, but the factory ones worked fine when they were still there. I cut off the unused OEM headlight socket and used those wires to trigger auxiliary lighting relays.

Putco claims that their H4 sockets can withstand 480ºF high temperatures, but mine started to melt after 18 months (using XD5 Xenon 90/100 watt 5800k bulbs). I recently spliced in new H4 ceramic sockets ($5 EBay w/s&h) that will do the trick. I replaced the spade connectors & leads that came with the ceramic sockets, as they were a smaller gauge wire.

But who can beat a total of $36 for an upgraded wiring harness?

I even bought one of their GM HD wiring harnesses for my 2007 Duramax Diesel, to keep the low beams on when the high beams go on - WHAT AN IMPROVEMENT! I did have to install a diode across the relay coils to prevent computer issues and transmission lurching (a trick my mechanic warned me about).

Placing a diode across the coil of any auxiliary relay is a good idea to prevent arcing of the contacts and electronics issues. There are plenty of websites that explain how to do this (electricity only flows 1-way through a diode).

Personally, I prefer the Hella E-code lights. The Germans have always made the best optics! There has got to be a reason why Hella's are OEM on all of the high end European cars (BMW, Porsche, MBZ, Ferrari, even VW's, etc.).

Amazing my thread is still around :) who da known cheap E-code headlights would be such a hit.

FWIW the Autopal's in my XJ, my Wife's XJ, my Comanche and Taco are all still going strong, on the cheap bulbs that came with them no less.

Amazing my thread is still around :) who da known cheap E-code headlights would be such a hit.

FWIW the Autopal's in my XJ, my Wife's XJ, my Comanche and Taco are all still going strong, on the cheap bulbs that came with them no less.

That means you still have good grounds :D

79-01 JEEP CHEROKEE EURO 200mm H4 H6054 HEADLIGHTS

Will these do the trick?

I can't pull up a direct link from my phone cuz its a mobile site...
-Mike

That means you still have good grounds :D

Evidently, though I have to say they seem to have faded over their lives. Gonna upgrade at least one of my Jeeps with some good name brand h4 bulbs soon. See if it's just my imagination or they are getting dimmer. Anyway not bad considering they are the cheap bulbs that come with the housings.

Last edited:
79-01 JEEP CHEROKEE EURO 200mm H4 H6054 HEADLIGHTS

Will these do the trick?

I can't pull up a direct link from my phone cuz its a mobile site...
-Mike

Yep see the red box that says "autopal"? that's the one to get. Glad to see Rishi's still in business, the way Ebays gone I was fully expecting to be left with only Chinese freight container listing spam.

Think I might order a set I melted my cheap ebay one's with my 100/90 bulbs
I asked him if I could get them without the bulbs
They are all glass right?

wow big difference. wish i wouldve known about these before i did my conversion. i just put in projectors with 8000k HIDs. your way seems alot cheaper haha

8000k? You lookin for purple light? Get bulbs in the 4300k-6000k range and they'll be whiter and brighter.

Also, I'd recommend some PIAAs or Cibies in place of the Autopals. I plan on switching to one of those two. I don't like the pattern from my Autopals.

8000k? You lookin for purple light? Get bulbs in the 4300k-6000k range and they'll be whiter and brighter.

Also, I'd recommend some PIAAs or Cibies in place of the Autopals. I plan on switching to one of those two. I don't like the pattern from my Autopals.

its actually not purple at all. if you are looking at the jeep they have some blue tint to them but for the most part it is a pretty white light

and if i need more lighting i just turn on my hellas.

Threw some Autopal's in my XJ a couple of years ago and haven't looked back. My only complaint was with the bulbs, there seemed to be this lag between the low and high beams when I cut the high beams on. I ended up getting some silverstar's pretty cheap and they don't lag like the bulbs that came with the Autopal's did.

Not sure if anyone else noticed the same (didn't read through all 36 pages of the thread...too lazy lol). They worked flawlessly, but that lag was really getting on the little bit of OCD that I have :D

Back