• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Dumbest thing I've ever done.

88woody

NAXJA Forum User
Mondat night I decided to try and replace the pinion bearing on the rear axle. In a complete hurry (it looked like rain)I crawled underneath, my legs sticking out. Now, my driveway has a somewhat not-so-gentle slope to it...you can see where this is going...Well, I forgot to trig the front wheels. So, I proceeded to take the rear driveshaft off, not even thinking that maybe that was the only thing holding the Jeep in place. When it wouldn't come off, I grabbed a rubber malet and gave it a tap. What do you think happened? The driveshaft hit me in the face, and the Jepp rolled up on me. So here I am, laying on my back, my head pounding like mad, and the rear tire (and Jeep) on my stomach. I yelled for help and a neighbor came running overand pushed the Jeep off me. God, did that hurt. So, now I have a gash in my forehead, and three broken ribs. AND, I still need to change the rear axle:(

Hurting in Maine

a small lapse in judgement is a poplar way to die. glad you didn't get to hurt.

Yikes!!!

We're gonna need an OSHA poster up before too long.

Glad to hear you stilll have blood pressure & respiration.

Did your neighbor take pictures? I want to see pics! :D

Actually, I did the same thing when I had my Blazer. Only I was laying the long way completely under the truck. When it started moving, I put my foot on the front tire to stop it rolling. I could have rolled out from under but I didn't know if I could stop the truck before it hit my wife's car parked behind. I was stuck holding the truck until my wife finally came into the garage to see what all the yelling was about.

The lesson was learned.

The neighbor should of ran for the camera first! :D

It is amazing how hard we can concentrate on one thing and totally over look the obvious.

Glad you aren't to badly hurt, you could have had more guts laying on the ground. Just remember that pain the next time you are setting up to do anything, you'll prepare the area much better the next time.

mark

Did similar on my S-10, was replaceing the carrier on the two piece driveshaft, had the back end up on a slope next to my deck. I too was laying long wise and it rolled across the driveway to the rock border, kept the DS away from my face but it got the jewels and I was a might high in voice for a while. You need something like that every once in a while to kind of kick you in the butt about being too complacent about stuff. Thinking about it afterwards even now makes me cringe about being so stupid and not thinking things thru, like when you are a teenager :D . Now I have a couple of BIG wood & steel wedges that go behind the wheels when I work under, jack up or otherwise do something that will kill or injure me if it moves...

Yeah, it hurts. A LOT. I'm glad that everyone finds this story amusing...:)
So did everybody at work, everybody at NAPA, and my folks.
Yes, I did learn a valuable lesson. So much so that yesterday I bought 2 wheel chocks, 2 sets of 6 ton jackstands, and a real floor jack. Now, at least I won't have an excuse. :)

Welcome to the Ben Satanoff "I've been rundover" society. You have passed the initiation.

Glad you survived to tell the tale.

Never used my abdomen as a wheel chuck... Closest I have is this..

Back when I was 18 or so I was working on my mom's Camaro, was gonna pull the transmission to do a front seal (I hate that seal, never can do it right!). Anyway, had the front on stands, was jacking the rear up to get it in the air, luckily the harbor freight stand decided to fail then. Slow motion, the stand buckled, the car went down at an angle, crushed the stand to about 1" tall (knocked it sideways). Wake up call, the jack stand ended up where my head would've been when tugging on the transmission. Another lucky part (aside from not getting my head crushed!) was that when the car went down (no wheels on the front) the RH rotor missed the concrete driveway by 3/4 of an inch, so it just gouged dirt and didn't damage the rotor, suspension, or bearings at all.

Glad you weren't hurt to badly.... Your actions fit a favorite saying of mine...

"Good judgement is based on experience, experience is based on bad judgement...."

Live and learn :viking:

Nah... ya gotta own up to em and help spread the word. If ya help one person avoid mauling themself or another...it's well worth the ribbing.

I have too many tales like that, but so far mostly free of trauma worthy of an MD/PA visit. The latest one for me was on Tuesday, getting an eyeload of rubbing alcohol/rusty funk from my AC condenser-soon to be tranny cooler. After the third flush, I looked right at the damn out port & hit the air :dunce: Groped my way to the sink, rinsed out, got my clear Gargoyles on and went back at it.

88Woody, hope you heal up well sir! Tell anyone who'll listen.

Y'all give a shout out to my best buddy who got his self spiderbit on his finger Fri at work. It was cool till Monday night...Yesterday AM he's admitted, feverish, secondary stapf infection... They are doing some sort of surgery tonight (now?) to remove the dead meat. CDC came down from the Capitol City and asked him about his little goldfish pond ?!?!

Woody's Safety Mesage for the Day:
Keep your eyes peeled for stealthy little deathbugs, and bleach your funky little closed-loop goldfish pond waterfall things!

Here's my latest stupidity....... never leave an excavator bucket up.

I climbed out of the trench last week and whacked the top of my skull on the bottom of the bucket. "That was a damn stupid.... wait a minute...." Cracked off half a front tooth, and had the remnants extracted over the weekend. http://chixjeff.dnsalias.net/Grin

[QUVE=FSeqdeia]Yikes! Is dje rout eart B2nwn Rec<pse country?[/QUOTE]

Them and black widows too. Based on the happenstancd, i4$was probably a@R thatfot my ro.

Leather gloves are never ones enemy when grabbing upon random stuff.

88woody said:
Yeah, it hurts. A LOT. I'm glad that everyone finds this story amusing...:)
So did everybody at work, everybody at NAPA, and my folks.
Yes, I did learn a valuable lesson. So much so that yesterday I bought 2 wheel chocks, 2 sets of 6 ton jackstands, and a real floor jack. Now, at least I won't have an excuse. :)

Hey maybe I should show this thread to the wife. I could use a couple of those things.

Very lucky indeed. Knew a guy that happened to and he's paralized now.

Wouldn't have helped you but I always check the stands using the "Four Boot" method. Figure I'm going to end up kicking it anyway so why not start off with a few good wacks. :D

Back