• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

dual battery set up in a cherokee?

My buddy did a second battery under the rear seat on the drivers side. Made a box and cut the floor out, only sticks down 2" and is still well within the frame rail.

My buddy did a second battery under the rear seat on the drivers side. Made a box and cut the floor out, only sticks down 2" and is still well within the frame rail.

Where's he running his Cat and exhaust pipe then? Thats where most XJ factory exhaust pipes run thru. I think the heat would be too great for the battery. I had my exhaust pipe, when I added the crawl box, just short of touching the sheet metal under my rear bench seat and had to pull over and douse the carpet and insulation with water because it was smoking and ready to ignite.

Last edited:
Where's he running his Cat and exhaust pipe then? Thats where most XJ factory exhaust pipes run thru. I think the heat would be too great for the battery. I had my exhaust pipe, when I added the crawl box, just short of touching the sheet metal under my rear bench seat and had to pull over and douse the carpet and insulation with water because it was smoking and ready to ignite.

Drivers side has no exhaust pipe or cat...

I have mine where the stock air box was, my friend also has his like that. No issues with taco or metal tearing.

I have mine on an isolator with all accessories on the aux battery, great for leaving the HAM on overnight or playing the radio.

5886076622_0e002e2cc4_z.jpg

What tray are you using on the driver side, or did you make one (that you should also sell)?

The only tray I found was from Wrangler Northwest. Definitely not the best product as requires some improvisation, minor grinding and instructions are inadequate.

Note that the TCU needs to be bolted to the back of that mount.

Other than that, it works ok. I have my installation documented in my CF build thread...

I'm not seeing this either. I cant believe that our XJ's cant support two batteries in the front!

Maybe the JS guys would have issue due to the jumping they do but my heep never sees air under it

OK, so I went to look under the battery tray and then under the fender for signs of stress. I found a little triangular piece of metal (there is one on each side with 4 bolts) that is cracked in two places. Don't know if it's related to the weight of the battery, but need to replace that piece or weld it, if not made of aluminum...

I still can't see a reason for two batteries unless your using the power to camp or to power something when the vehicle is not running. 99% of the time your battery is hardly doing a thing while the vehicle is running.

I don't have any extra electrical accesories on my jeep and I run a single red top no problem, i did make better cables though. In my Barracuda I run a single yellow top with an electric fan, water pump, and fuel pump. I often run the electric water pump and fan with the car off to cool it down when at the track. With a GM CS130 alternator the single battery has never been a problem. Just my .02 and something to think about before adding another 50lbs.

Also, I am sure its OK to run to batteries up front as long as you leave the doors on :D

Some people run a lot of accessories when using the XJ for specific purposes, which requires a second battery...

Some people run a lot of accessories when using the XJ for specific purposes, which requires a second battery...

Depends. Oftentimes you can get away with an upgraded alternator.

Plenty of writeups out there for upgrading the factory alternator to a 136A or more.

I should make a version for sale, it bolts to the factory air box bolts plus one addition point on the inner fender.

Back