• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

dual battery set up in a cherokee?

I was planning on putting another battery where the air box is, and was unaware of it stressing the front end...

That mod will be a little while down the road. I'll be adding frame stiffeners up front and maybe I'll beef up the front crossmember, just in case.

I don't plan on jumping it, but piece of mind is nice...

PM from Cal
cal said:
We're XXXXing with that guy christquested.

Dual batteries up front is totally fine..

A lot of prerun guys do relocate the batteries to the rear. I image for weight reasons and space for an engine cage

ive been runnin dual red tops for years!! whats the deal!! plus i have a 500 amp relay between the battreries too! sux i have no engine space but i can eassily jump my self and have done soo a couple times.. HHaaa

Some suggest that if using a regular acid/lead battery(ies), in the rear cargo area to additionally add an enclosure box onto the hold down system, and vent the box to the great outdoors. Heavy duty hold downs are way important in order to not have batts. 'flying' forwards in a quick stop. Figured if'in I go that route, I'd hang the heavy electrical cables up into the extreme rear of the quarter panel, along the headliner trim piece, down the front door frame, down between door, and dash, underneath, and then out a special port thru the firewall.

People are smoking crack. I have been running a dual battery set up for YEARS!! I wheel all the time. Hell just last year i went to the rubicon and beat the living shit out of my cherokee. The front end will not crumple on you or collapse. Where talking about what a 50lb battery. Your not adding a 300lbs weight to one corner of the vehicle. The right side doesnt have any more bracing then the left side. the front end is built the same from side to side. So if the left side can hold it so can the right. And like someone has already stated the diesel XJ came with the factory with 2 batterys. They didnt add any extra bracing for that either. Just some brakets and a battery tray.

Here is a pic
419377_2642132089492_1141283396_31980135_879049278_n.jpg

http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=990465

This is my setup, I've been running it for almost 3 years with almost no issues, although I do wish I'd sprung for at least one deep cycle battery.

It's come in VERY useful in camping trips since I'm often out by myself, I just make sure both batteries are charged and one's disconnected, and I can run radios, lights, or my inverter, with the engine off without worrying about being stranded. Saved my bacon many, many times.

Last edited:
From the pic it looks like that but its not. I had a K&N before the dual battery setup. I just chopped it in half. Added a 90 degreee elbow and the filter is right behind the battery. I can take a pic of it if you want.

I have mine where the stock air box was, my friend also has his like that. No issues with taco or metal tearing.

I have mine on an isolator with all accessories on the aux battery, great for leaving the HAM on overnight or playing the radio.

5886076622_0e002e2cc4_z.jpg

lol.. bump. i just bought the spectre kit to add a second battery, and thought.. oh ****, now i have to reinforce the frame for a stupid battery.

btw, has anyone used a stock battery tray? or what's a good one to use for cheap.

So with running my winch, off road lights, upgraded head lights, sub, amp, cb radio,ect....I am thinking of doing a dual battery set up.

This is the thing i will be using to relocate the air filter.

http://www.quadratec.com/products/17006_7101_07.htm

Then if it is possible using these on in stock battery location and one where the air box use to be.

http://www.ballisticfabrication.com/...x-_p_1673.html

Then as far as conecting the two battery not sure on if i just run a positive and negitive from 1 to other or if i need a special set up to do this any detailed info would be great.

What are your thoughts?

Whats the big bellow in the middle of the intake for? It looks like it would interfere with the valve cover! As far as What Cal said about 2 batts up front: I don't know I know he's got reasons and seen a lot more XJ's taco'd be beatings than I ever have so I have to lean a little towards his comment. On the other hand I've never seen the Diesel XJ to know where the second battery was mounted but if it's up front then ?? :eyes: Like the cartoon dog use to say:' Which way did he go George, which way did he go?" I did add a 2nd battery prior to reading this but I put it in back because I also have a rear winch. I read once that the item should be as close to the power source as possible for maximum voltage (efficiency). I have them isolated with Warn isolator and #2 wire feeding the 2nd battery. The dual air compressors will run off the one battery as well as the inverter for??? They are cheap Harbor Freight compressors but it was a Xmas gift card and I figured I can alternate compressors when one over heats , which they have in the summer but the winters are fine. Oh and enjoy laughing at my 2 hour storage box which took longer to drive to Home depot for the wood than build (paint took twice as long I had to go back and get some).
Here's mine;
DSCN0443-1.jpg
http://i1247.photobucket.com/albums/gg628/BossCherokee/DSCN0443-1.jpg

Last edited:
without re-reading this thread, i was probably being a smart ass..

i don't see a problem with it, but i'm not really 'the guy' when it comes to electronics.

Back