• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

drop CA brackets for 3"?

BrokenSockets

NAXJA Forum User
Is there a reason that you can't go with drop brackets for the control arms with 3" of lift? Is it just that nobody makes a bolt-on version or is there some reason due to physical location or clearance for bolts, etc.

I have a 3" lift on my DD and would like to improve how the front end rides on the street and over washboard country roads. Is it possible to just fab some that work?

Search netted no results for me and I thought I would ask before spending any time thinking about it.

It seems to me that there are a ton of 3 and 3.5" lifts on DDs that see only mild trail use that would benefit from them and that these would be the most likely drivers to want the smoother ride. I assumed that there was a reason it doesn't work or someone would be making them as a bolt-on option.

Most DB's lower the mounting point about 4"s, so if the lift is less than that, your CA's will be inverted.

Not sure what the consequences of that would be however...

Lowrange, was it the RE or the RC brackets you ran with the 3"?

Lurch, that was also what I was wondering about - what is the effect of a possibly slightly negative angle on the CA's.

I'm sure someone knows.

I don't see where it would cause any ill effects if you had the ability to set the castor correctly. Why would it ride any differently? It'd be closer to stock than it is now.

I ran the RE brackets.

Do the RC and RE brackets move the arms the same amount or is one less than the other. To try to get closest to horizontal without going further than I need to, I suppose I would choose the one with least offset.

OK, I've been putting my limited thought abilities into this.

My CA bolts from frame to axle are exactly 3" offset up/down. If I add the drop brackets that lowers the mounting points 3" each as far as I can tell.

They also move the frame side mounting points .5" forward.

So if I have adjustable uppers and lowers that I can set up to .5" shorter than stock would I end up with exactly horizontal CA's with the axle at exactly the right place fore/aft with the ability to set correct angle with just minor adjustment?

Theoretically this should work. The point being to restore the stock angle.

The reason everybody says it can only be done for 4" of lift is because 1) the ones available on the market drop 4", 2) they dont consider making your own a viable job.

Fab your own for 3" (or better yet, the length needed to restore stock angle) and it should be fine. I am considering same.

Do the RC and RE brackets move the arms the same amount or is one less than the other. To try to get closest to horizontal without going further than I need to, I suppose I would choose the one with least offset.

IIRC, RE drop 4.25" while RC drops 4".

Ah, OK. I misread a post somewhere (or correctly read a mis-post)

If I find a for-sale set of brackets would it be an option to redrill the holes and save the work? I can't quite tell from the pics if it would be a possibility. I have seen used RE or RC brackets around from time to time.

Back