• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Drop Brackets vs Long Arms

btfury said:
Well yes they include brackets to drop the upper arms as well as the lowers, but from what I've read it's good to run Adj Uppers with DBs... couldn't tell you why though.

I run the DB's with 33's. RE 5.5" extreme duty kit. Fixed lower/upper arms.
Thing drives like a stocker. No DW, it has insane flex. I've heard pros and cons, I'm happy with the setup. However I think if I did it again, I'd do the RE longarms as you get a belly skid with those. I did a DPG skid down the road.
The DB's cure most the issues guys have with more lift. Rides like a dream.

Oh, and yeah, I've hung up a DB a couple times, but usually it slides right off. Hasn't been an issue on the hammers yet, but I've only done the smaller hammers as my tires aren't big enough for the big boy trails. :)

Oh, I see that cal put his .02 in too. He convinced me to spend the extra on the kit with the DB's. Yes, it will flex as much as long arms.

I have the RE 5.5 kit with the DBs and am very happy. I haven't had much clearance issues at all, and when I did the drop brackets have taken the abuse like a champ. Only time I have run into a problem is going off a sharp step. I have set the rig down on them with no problem. I have thought about long arms many times but I don't see it as a worthwhile upgrade for me. It has enough travel to just barely unseat the spring and it rides like a champ. Also last time I had it aligned it hit dead nuts on all the stock settings with no adjustable arms.

Well the more I read this the more I'm wanting to go with DBs... I feel like I save a bunch of money to put towards something else while still getting the same performance. Also, there's probably not that big of a difference b/t the clearance I'd lose with the BDS arms and the DBs (if someone knows otherwise please correct me).

I agree, buy some sliders or something with the money you save.

My DB poser shot
Chandler0407028.jpg

I have purchased sliders since this pic

shop around.. for me the RK long arm was 125$ more then the drop brackets and i would had needed adjustable uppers anyways...

this is how my setup works.. not even fully flexed..

Picture094.jpg

no problems here.. already wheeled it very hard.. have a few friends who run it too with no problems... Read on pirate.. a lot of guys run 3 links with pan hards...if you must you can get a 4 link through RK but you have to buy the whole pre-runner kit.. If you can go for it, it was a no brainer for me.. it was actually cheaper to buy the long arm upgrade then make my own kit...

As mentioned, this discussion could go on forever.

For my .02 though, I am running RE DB with 4.5" lift, TNT adjustbale upper cA and Rock Krawler adjustable lowers. Has worked out well for me. My buddy is running a similar set up.

That being said, there are a lot of guys in the area that run TNT and they work awesome. I have heard good things about BDs long arms as well.

If your budget is tight, you may have answered your own question, especially with the recent lower price and success of the Rough Country ones.

Moab126.jpg

alright im a bit confused here, i also have the rubicon express 4.5 super flex, but if i get drop brackets from rough country or some one can i just bolt them up? or do i need new adjustable ctrl arms? my arms are fixed...

I got my drop brackets used (I can hardly tell) for $150. If you wait you'll find a deal on them.

Such a tough decision haha. I suppose used DBs would be the best thing for me right now (poor college student haha)... I think that's what I'll do.

emr1101 said:
alright im a bit confused here, i also have the rubicon express 4.5 super flex, but if i get drop brackets from rough country or some one can i just bolt them up? or do i need new adjustable ctrl arms? my arms are fixed...

You should be OK. The adjustable control arms help to get the caster angle right, but I would think you could run the DB with fixed arms and be OK. The arms you have are longer though, so it will push the axle forward a bit with the DB's. You could always call RE and ask them what they think.

btfury said:
Such a tough decision haha. I suppose used DBs would be the best thing for me right now (poor college student haha)... I think that's what I'll do.

I have some drop brackets that came off a friends jeep, used heavily but still function fine, they will need some bracing and some removal of the factory sheet metal since we torched them off the jeep I have pics if your interested.

There you go. Do they have the braces? Make sure if you do the drop brackets, you get the braces that bolt to the crossmember. Oh, and once you get them in, toss a tack weld on the back edge of them to hold them there. Makes dropping the crossmember easier.

nah no braces but I would highly recommend you tack them to the frame rail brace them and etc, I will try to get some pics tommorow, they are rough but work

I run DB's. I am a 95/5 DD/wheeler. I placed a priority on road manners and driveability but I can run with most of the guys with LA's

I was fortunate enough to win a set of LA's but decided to keep my DB's if that means anything.

FWIW, a good friend of mine had a chance to drive mine and commented on how much nicer my rig handled at speeds below 95.:shocked:

Do a real hard assessment on your wheeling frequency/style and make your decision from there. If you want to keep up with the Joneses, spend the coin and help your ego out.

John

1fox2go said:
nah no braces but I would highly recommend you tack them to the frame rail brace them and etc, I will try to get some pics tommorow, they are rough but work

yeah im interested... I'd love to see some pics!

Back