• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Drop Brackets on 3" lift?

kmanxj5050

NAXJA Forum User
Everyone says 4" minimum? Didn't find any people with experience on here via a search.

I am wanting to put a set on the wifes XJ to improve the ride quality. Am I going to need to add a 1" spacer too?

Everyone says 4" minimum? Didn't find any people with experience on here via a search.
I am wanting to put a set on the wifes XJ to improve the ride quality. Am I going to need to add a 1" spacer too?

Here is my experience, after many years, with dropped brackets on my DD.
With the R.E. dropped brackets, the LCAs are horizontal at 3-1/2" of lift, they get hit often and look a little strange.
Adding an extra 1/2" makes a big different in how often they get hit and there is little difference in handling or ride quality. 3" will look weird but shouldn't effect the ride, probably all right for street use only.

Smacking the brackets doesn't seem to be much of a problem, it just sounds terrible (upsets the wife). I have never been hung up on them, as they tend to slide over the obstacle.
I do like the great improvement in ride quality and are easy to install. Make sure to get the rear XJ braces to prevent frame damage.
http://www.4wheelparts.com/Lift-Kit...out&ppcfon=1&gclid=CKyQoZX067cCFadxQgod-kUAmw
The DBs do not effect ride height, that needs to be adjusted with spacers, new coil springs or an ACOS.

Here's my experience. I put them on at about 4-4.5" of lift. At that height, it made my lowers absolutely parallel to the ground, and the uppers were slightly inverted. It didn't ride funny, but it DID scoot the axle forward a substantial amount. So much so that I had to custom cut my adjustable upper arms so that the caster could be adjusted to spec. Before cutting the arms, the upper were ALL the way in (short) and caster was still at 1 degree.

I had a thread about it somewhere, I'll try and find it.

Edit: Here's the thread with my whole debacle. In the end I had to hack and re-thread my brand new $300 upper control arms.

http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=1077896&page=4

Last edited:
Problem is they drop the arms 4"-4.5" so on a three inch lift they will drop too far.

If 4" drop brackets improve ride on 4" of lift, I see no reason 3" drop brackets wont improve ride on 3" lift.

The issue here is not whether drop brackets improve ride at x" of lift, but that drop brackets are only COMMERCIALLY AVAILABLE in 4". Kinda strange that with all the fab work going on around here nobody considers fabbing thier own DBs.

If 4" drop brackets improve ride on 4" of lift, I see no reason 3" drop brackets wont improve ride on 3" lift.

The issue here is not whether drop brackets improve ride at x" of lift, but that drop brackets are only COMMERCIALLY AVAILABLE in 4". Kinda strange that with all the fab work going on around here nobody considers fabbing thier own DBs.

If I were to spend the time fabbing something it would be long arms not drop brackets.

Back