• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Driving through water

many people dont want to believe this but here it goes...

stock xj , 5 speed , 4.0

the water was really really brown and it usually wasnt to deep in previous attempts of going through it, but this time it was deep.

we wanted to "make a splash" so we went through it at like ~ 10 mph.

needless to say, it was extremly deep, water came over my windows , flooded interior, and the jeep did not stall, air pocket in the intake or something i guess. I have some pics of how deep it was and 6 people were in the xj with me to experience it.

PosiDave said:
On the topic of water. How bad would it be to get stuck up to the very bottom of the doors in water and up to the whole undercarriage in sand. It sat for 4 hours running. I got stuck because my axles and driveshafts were surrounded in sand.

I've done it overnight, twice - except it was wet, muddy clay.

Cost me a set of unit bearings and some fluid changes. And I think the 4WD indicator went out shortly thereafter.

No big deal, but I don't night wheel anymore without another trail rig around.

XJack said:
And I think the 4WD indicator went out shortly thereafter.

No big deal, but I don't night wheel anymore without another trail rig around.

I have the same story. My 4wd indicator doesn't work, my reverse lights don't always work. Just a pain. I was by myself and ended up needing a backhoe to get my "heep" out.

camarors8992 said:
I have the same story. My 4wd indicator doesn't work, my reverse lights don't always work. Just a pain. I was by myself and ended up needing a backhoe to get my "heep" out.

if it's an aw4 the nss has a vent on it, but its about three inches from the factory. the way the factory vent is that thing get corroded just from road spray. when i rebuilt mine i plumbed it into the vent line for the rear diff and that goes up int the c pillar.

Water can be done...you guys make it seem horrible...just prepare and you will be fine. About a second before this pic was snapped the water was half way up the headlights. The airbox had a little water in it and the filter was a little damp.

The main thing people don't realize is that speed through a deep hole is not a good idea!
HPIM0538.jpg

My jeep has 6" of lift and 34" tires

point front downstream if possible to drive away from current. Enter stream above exit so you can drive downstream.

I have driven through many water crossings and even lost an engine to one. The advice I would give you is...... prep the vehicle with vent lines and intake as high as you can go, even stock is ok depending on level of water.
They are alot of fun if you do not abuse the situation, just like anything else.

Is there anything that can be done to prep a manual trans, say AX-15? The only thing i'm worried about is getting the clutch/slave cylinder area soaked or muddy.

Stock XJ (Whatevah) in water:
SV400005.sized.jpg

IMG_3481.sized.jpg

IMG_3531.sized.jpg

IMG_3499.sized.jpg

My XJ in water:
IMG_3562.sized.jpg

IMG_3671.sized.jpg

IMG_3677.sized.jpg

IMG_3447.sized.jpg

Most of these pics were taken by Jerry Horn btw...

This run was the reason why I got a snorkel. My friend got water in her tank and some in her intake... $600 later she was good. A guy here at work hydrolocked his YJ in water, etc. If you do water make sure to:

-GET A SNORKEL! Make sure everything in the intake is SEALED completely
-Seal the distributor
-Relocate axle vent tubes as HIGH as possible, preferably in the pass. compartment
-Relocate trans and t-case vent tubes as high as possible
-Make sure dip stick indicator seals well in tube
-You may want to seal the top of the trans as well where the shifter is
-Check ALL electronic connections and make sure everything is nice and tight

It's best to drive slowly causing a "wave" type action of the water in front of you. This keeps water from going where it doesn't need to go.

When you return from the trail:
-Make sure all greasables are greased!
-Change the diffs, trans, t-case, fluids and engine oil
-Give the Jeep a good wash (including undercarriage) just in case there was corrosive crap in the water

Just be careful.

Last edited:
Good Question!

Whats better suited at getting a soaker? the AX-15 or the Auto's? if you end up going for a swim whats the deal? I know my AX-15 stood up to a nice dunking now and then and I had no real issues with it at all!

whats the story with an auto if you make like the titanic?

Jeff

A stock cherokee can take over a foot ive had mine up the the center console
(water even with the back seats in the coil holder) up the the headlighs stoped with everyone kneeling on the seats to stay dry. She dident like it but I got out

ive done a few water crossings and the best thing to do if you get water in the intake and enough to stall the motor, never try to start it just remove the spark pluges theturn the motor over this will evac any water that made it to the cyl

FubAr4x4 said:
ive done a few water crossings and the best thing to do if you get water in the intake and enough to stall the motor, never try to start it just remove the spark pluges theturn the motor over this will evac any water that made it to the cyl
That brings back some memories :)

Went swimming. 98, RE 4.5 with 32's. At 2.5' deep things were OK. Dropped into a hole and went to 3.5'. Water over the headlight, engine died. Put Warn 9k (on a carrier) on the back, winched out, yanked the plugs, and blew out the water. Started it up, went home and started drying out interior. Next day changed fluids in both pumpkins, trans, and tcase. Even with factory extended breather hoses (come up on the firewall) had water in both diffs. Tcase and tranny were OK. Won't be going swimming again. I was halfway out when pic was taken.

swimmingdaheeptw4.jpg

Back