• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Driving through water

i put mine deep enough to cover 33's and some door which i had about 7 inches of water inside my jeep. I flushed everything soon after pulled the carpet and bedlinered it. Like someone said before dont let other tell you what to do, i did and got lucky i didnt screw anything up. I wouldnt do it in a stock jeep really not worth it, if your going to waste a jeep think of the money lost put a lift on and then go. Go slow if you do.

I have a buddy who bedlinered his XJ and installed a bilge pump up front and another out back, at first I thought it was weird, but when I saw him go in over the hood and hit the switch I was VERY impressed.....of course he has a snorkel too.

Tradesman300 said:
Here is how little mine was able to take, she farted and started right back up. And my 'rod knock' totally dissapeared!!!

3.jpg

2.jpg

one.jpg

and that would be the reason you don't hit deep holes with any kind of speed...

I have had water come over the hood a few times, but i was lucky and never lost momentum so i was fine. if you dont stop then you can get away with more. i wouldnt try it again and normaly i wouldnt go over the top of the bumper.

Over here in the UK rocking crawling is limited so we need to find other things to do water feayures very highly .

US spec 2 door 4.0l man D30 D44 homemade snokel and raised breather .

191260748.jpg

191260745.jpg

If you had a snorkel, couldnt you just tie all the vents into the stock filter box. Or does the trans, axles, tcase release bad gasses?

XJoshua said:
If you had a snorkel, couldnt you just tie all the vents into the stock filter box. Or does the trans, axles, tcase release bad gasses?
You can do that.

Here's another idea...I drilled holes in my wiper cowl and installed brass fittings into them with a 90 degree turn down inside the wiper cowl and ran all of my vents to those. It's worked great so far.

MogifiedXJ said:
You can do that.

Here's another idea...I drilled holes in my wiper cowl and installed brass fittings into them with a 90 degree turn down inside the wiper cowl and ran all of my vents to those. It's worked great so far.

I am not the biggest fan of the snorkle and how it looks, I was thinking of routing a tube into the wiper cowl and then getting a scoop ala rally racing to collect air. This would be good for water crossings as long as it is not over the hood.

Tradesman300 said:
I am not the biggest fan of the snorkle and how it looks, I was thinking of routing a tube into the wiper cowl and then getting a scoop ala rally racing to collect air. This would be good for water crossings as long as it is not over the hood.
I don't know if you've seen these or not but they may help...

http://www.madxj.com/MADXJ/technical/technicalfiles/JJcustomSnorkle/CustomSnorkle.htm

http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=97813&highlight=snorkel

http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=93467&highlight=snorkel

http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=31683&page=2&highlight=cowl+induction

Hi guys I am new here and am on the look out for an XJ at the moment but they arent to common around here. In New Zealand one of the first thing you must do when 4wding is fit a snorkel extend breathers and seal up the electrics. Deep water is very common here rocks arent.
The isuzu is my old vehicle and the discovery is a friend of mine, dont be afraid of the water its good fun:)
15.jpg

Swimmingdisco.jpg

RichP said:
Do not disconnect the filter box, the square hole is there for a reason, when water closes it off it is supposed to starve the engine for air and cause it to stall out before it inhales any h2o, it mostly works unless the engine is around 2,000rpm, at that point inertia is your enemy. Rule of thumb, keep the water below your bumper, drive at a consistant speed and get a bow wave going, keep it constant and the bow wave will keep water out of the radiator. However the most important thing to remember is let someone else of the same height go first, if he sinks then don't go... I don't like water either and on two occasions, same paragon rockrawl, I had it up to the bottom of my fender flares and was about sucking the seat cover up my butt, all my door seals worked well as the XJ was only 4 months old and it stayed dry inside, one was a 100 yard stream crossing and the other was a 1 mile long abandoned railroad tunnel that did a good impersonation of a killer monsoon car wash which totally caught the open topped shorties by complete suprise. The tunnel was pitch black but I could put my hand out the window and the water was about 1/2 way up the door. Water and mud are bad for jeeps...

Dang that train tunnel water immersion sounds like some crazy stuff (insert scary music and Jaws music), man you are lucky you didn't stall out in there. I've had my share of water induced drivetrain deaths. 1st in my 91' YJ with stock 3.07 gears, 33" PC muds and I got stuck in a mud/water hole and hydro locked the motor (The Badlands in Attica, IN), the next time was years later--the 1st and last time I took a ZJ offroad at a NAXJA event to the "Lost Coast", I got lots of water in my tranny after getting stuck in the Eel river and water up to my windows and had to climb out the window with water to the bottom of my seats. I had no tools with me, it was a holiday weekend and my tranny fluid was Pepto Bismal pink, the tranny didn't last too long after that.

Moral of the story, avoid water, if you like water so much, get a boat, not to say a Jeep cannot cross it, but don't get too cozy with it. Water doesn't play nice with drivetrain components and electrical components either.

Troy

Personally Id get a snorkel for the look, I think it awesome, also you get the beniefits of intaking cooler air, when at speed. Its the last thing on my project list though, right after the paint job. I think a snorkel on a DD is all preference, where as on a wheeler its for people who plan on going into the water. Here in colorado if there are safe crossing they are usually shallow and filled with sharp rocks, and the deep ones youll need pontoons on the side.

mtsz52784 said:
DSC01440a.jpg
well heres last weekend in about 12 to 18 inches...

Nice, but we are talking more than twice that. Check some pics out at the group I was with years ago on Fordyce on the NAXJA run.

Jes has some nice pics of the NAXJA Fordyce run in 04, now check out those river crossings!!!

http://www.fototime.com/ftweb/bin/ft.dll/pictures?userid={0641A5A9-DB40-46BE-9569-B61D5BC8B151}&albumid={B18F3C19-AB5B-43E1-8F20-8C5D991EED1B}

jeepguy97 said:
Your joking right. 3.5 feet of water in a stock cherokee, my bumper with a 3" lift only sits 26" off the ground and thats only slightly more than 2 feet. If you must , yes extend the breathers and if it stalls cut it immediatly!!! I would drain the axles if you are in it for an extended period. I don't condone this by the way.
haha yeah i agree. i got 36"s and a 7" lift and i was within a 1.4" from having water come in
1166004790_l.jpg

Back