• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Driving through water

BruteXJ said:
Yeah, that's what I meant. It'd be even funnier to see someone pulling a step-ladder out of the back to climb in the windows after they lifted it 6".
I gotta do that just to get pics of it, I'll use my boat ladder...

With my 85 woody I have done alot of water crossings with no trouble. I have three inches of lift with 31's and I have gone through water past my that splashed halfway up the windshield and past my door handles. If you have never driven across water before start by driving through something shallower to get used to driving your jeep through water. ALWAYS check the water depth wherever you cross!!! My friend brings his dog with that is a black lab and he just throws a stick across it if it is not to far and if the dog has to swim across we get out and check ourselves. We get wet but it is better to get wet than have an empty wallet

~twahost them somewhere (photobucket.com ofoto.com) and then post the link to the picture, wrapped in [ /img] tags

[IMG]http://www.twardnw.com/~tward/images/jeep/jeep-10.jpg
jeep-11.jpg

Sorry to revive an old post as I'm a newbie to this forum. I have a '98 XJ with close to 4" of lift and 31" tires. I got stuck in really deep watery mud for about an hour one day. The exhaust was completely under water and I had to keep it at like 1500 rpm to prevent it from stalling. I was in up to my door moldings and my carpets got muddy cause of the water that leaked in. Anyways, the only real casualty of that was afew weeks later, I had to replace my starter because it was rusted almost solid. The drain was plugged with mud. Now I have a lifetime warranty starter from advance. Also, I checked my diff and tranny fluids after and they were fine!
Bring on the water!!! :)

P.S. My friend who winched me out from that has an '04 Rubicon with a 4" lift and 33" Xterrains. He went in from the opposite way this weekend and only got 1/4 the way in on his second try. We needed to winch him out also. :laugh3:

Last edited:
Ok I know this was somebody else's post but I have a question kind of about the same thing. I went threw about 2' deep water in my stock xj. its a 2.5L. now i know i shouldnt have been trying this with a stock jeep, but the water wasnt that deep where we tested the depth there was a pretty good drop off. anyway, it stalled out and i had to get pulled out. my truck wont start after that. when i turn the key in the ignition all i i hear is a clicking sound. my truck runs fine once i get it jumped but once the ignition is turned off it wont turn back on! any suggestions?

Take your starter out and have autozone or somewhere like that test it. You could possibly have a bad solenoid. If thats not it, test your connections, cause it sounds like the battery is not getting enough juice to the starter. Also have them check your battery when you check the starter. Its free and thats where I would start.

I played with water and got wet......

It was a place called the Coke Plant in Brampton Ontario Canada, there is this large pond, one one side, any jeep can make it, not that deep 2-2.5 foot dept at the most, on the right side, its way deeper 4 feet (which is alot!) I had my XJ with a snorkel & 3.5" lift and 31's, so I thought that I was all that and a bag of chips!

I started to venture out in the deep stuff, and water was coming over my hood - scary even with a snorkel, however it was my fault, I was in 2nd hi, the XJ started to bog down and stalled right in the middle of all places. after 30 seconds my feet where under water inside, I had to swim out and get the tow strap to hook up, by the time I got back to the Jeep, the water was upto the dash board and my spare clothes were floating in the back seat...lol

got out ok, Jeep ran fine, just the RPM guage did not work for a few mins. had the carpet in so no drain plugs and it was like driving a bath tub full of water. now everthing including my self were dripping wet, the worst part was we made reservations at a local restaurant, which i had to walk in squishing wet, cause my change of clothes were not any better than the ones I had on...

Moral of the story?

Make sure if you go into water, you know how to swim...

My Jeep did not suffer any real negative effects, and is still on the trails to this day. but it can cost you alot, its not a matter of if, just a matter of when.

Jeff

kscherokee said:
Take your starter out and have autozone or somewhere like that test it. You could possibly have a bad solenoid. If thats not it, test your connections, cause it sounds like the battery is not getting enough juice to the starter. Also have them check your battery when you check the starter. Its free and thats where I would start.
Thanks it ended up being the battery. now i'm off for another fun adventure!

Drum brakes don't like muddy water either - if you do frequent crossings 4 wheel discs would be the way to go.

Coating all electrical connecters/blades/terminals/Plug and cap posts with dialectric grease would probably be a good idea.

Years ago I remember reading an article in one of the off road mags talking about slightly pressurizing components by running OBA to the diffs,tranny,tcase breathers to keep water out. Just a couple pounds to keep water from being sucked in. Have no idea if it works but I imagine you would just pressurize before the crossing and you probably want to have any leaks fixed (probably a good idea anyway if you are crossing water often).

On the topic of water. How bad would it be to get stuck up to the very bottom of the doors in water and up to the whole undercarriage in sand. It sat for 4 hours running. I got stuck because my axles and driveshafts were surrounded in sand.

Fuck water. I went through water at the very max 2.5ft deep and my engine hydrolocked. I ened up replacing the motor. :(

Back