• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Driveline hitting

rookies

NAXJA Forum User
I have a 87, 5spd, and a 3" lift my front u-joint hits on the exhaust pipe occationaly. I didnt install the lift my self and I noticed the Crosmember was lowered about 3/4" I have no vibrations. What do I do to stop the u-joint from hitting?

If you can take a picture of it, we can diagnose it much better, but from what you are describing, it may just be that the track bar needs adjusting. Or if you don't have an adjustable track bar, you might want to invest it and correct the track.

Sorry no pictures and my track bar is not adjustable. sitting on flat ground the u-joint clears by about a inch

Does it hit while flexing then? Because its seeming to me that with a stock track bar, your axle would want to be pushed up and to the right on compression, into your exhaust, so.....I donno, lol, its early, I'll go look today on mine and see what you're talking about. Not positive, but my general impression is that your front axle is not centered (which would be a track bar) and my next would be that your exhaust got messed up somehow and pushed to one side or the other. Check and see if your front tires seem to be off centered, ie your right front seems to have more/less tire showing from the fender than the left.

The exhaust is mounted to the bellhousing with factory mount so I dont think the exhaust is bent. I will check tonight and see if the front axle is centered in the rig

Back