• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Drive belt squeels with AC On!

1989cherokee

NAXJA Forum User
I think i need to replace the single drive belt on my 89 cherokee? How do you check the belt for wear?It has been on for a long time at least 100k! How complicated is this to do? I had it replaced with the last waterpump it needed. Any pointers would be
helpfull.:thumbup:
Thanks

loosen the mounting bolts on steering pump bracket, turn the adjusting bolt to take tension off of belt,( long bolt that runs parallel to ground , and may need to need to loosen it a lot) move pump towards engine, remove belt, install new one and reverse procedure. may help to draw a pic of how the belt is routed. 100k miles are a lot for a belt, might as well change it before it breaks. my .02

On the 89's I think you need to loosen up the PS pump, not sure. As for replacing it, fairly straight forward, the trick is to get it adjusted properly. A new belt as defined as one that has been run for less than 15 minutes needs to be adjusted to 190lbs. NAPA sells a KrikitII belt tension gauge that is handy for getting the correct tension set.
On my 97 TJ's and 98XJ it just loosen up the idler pulley bolt a couple of turns and then back off the adjusting bolt.

Back