• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Drag Link

Stock steering is good up to about 6 - 7". Even at that height, it is usually your shocks that limit droop and not the steering. That aside though, it is a good idea to replace it with a stronger steering setup.

droped panhard you say? show me that....

there is no need for a DPA (droped pitman arm) on anything less than 6" ...

XJ_ranger said:
droped panhard you say? show me that....

there is no need for a DPA (droped pitman arm) on anything less than 6" ...

Have you never seen a drop braket for a track bar? I thought most long arm kits come with this, just maybe the ones I have seen. As far as the drop pitman arm, it works with the drop track bar and keeps them parallel and moving in the same arch. Maybe I don't know what I am talking about, but my jeep has both and zero bump steer with around 7 inches of lift.

The stock drag link will work at 5.5". If you're shocks are long enough you could max out the joints, but just check them for wear occasionally. A dropped pitman arm is a good idea, but not the 3" SJ, just the 3/4" lower ZJ pitman arm. Even that small amount will help the drag link joints to not bottom out, plus I think that a dropped pitman arm actually lines up the drag link and track bar better than the stock pitman arm.

With a tall lift, like 5" plus, there are more threads showing on the end of the drag link next to the adjustment collar, since the collar is adjusted out more to center the steering wheel. The stock drag link has a tendancy to bend at those threads with hard use, especially if the steering stops aren't adjusted right and the steering isn't centered. Have someone turn the wheel while you check to see if there is still some turning left when the knuckle hits the stops when turning to the right. If there is some turning left after the stops are hit, it will compress the drag link and there is greater potential for it to bend at the threads, so adjust the collar so the steering is more centered.

Goatman said:
The stock drag link will work at 5.5". If you're shocks are long enough you could max out the joints, but just check them for wear occasionally. A dropped pitman arm is a good idea, but not the 3" SJ, just the 3/4" lower ZJ pitman arm. Even that small amount will help the drag link joints to not bottom out, plus I think that a dropped pitman arm actually lines up the drag link and track bar better than the stock pitman arm.

With a tall lift, like 5" plus, there are more threads showing on the end of the drag link next to the adjustment collar, since the collar is adjusted out more to center the steering wheel. The stock drag link has a tendancy to bend at those threads with hard use, especially if the steering stops aren't adjusted right and the steering isn't centered. Have someone turn the wheel while you check to see if there is still some turning left when the knuckle hits the stops when turning to the right. If there is some turning left after the stops are hit, it will compress the drag link and there is greater potential for it to bend at the threads, so adjust the collar so the steering is more centered.

Cool thanks man

Back