• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Dr. Dyno has got me thinking Stroker.

ratherbcamping

NAXJA Forum User
Okay Dr. Dyno and other stroker experts, you got me hooked. I have an 89 XJ, 4.0, BA-10 (no laughing, I have a spare), 231. The 4.0 has a cracked block. According to previous owner, it was still running when they tore it down to fix a bad freeze plug under the manifolds, but when they pulled the manifolds off they found the crack and stopped there. They never put it back together. The crack is horizontal right under the freeze plugs in the block. Since the engine was still running up until that time, I assuming everything except the block is still good, but won’t know until tear down time.

I bought a 4.0 out of an 88 XJ for $130 and I’m in the process of cleaning it up. It’s getting all new gaskets and seals, new oil pump, water pump, etc. The bearings and cylinders look clean, so I’m taking my chances and putting it back together as is. I did have the head done by a local shop. So, the plan is to drop this engine in and see how it goes. I’m in no hurry as this is a toy and not a daily driver.

My latest purchase was another 89 XJ with 4.0, AW4, 231. It runs and drives, but the plan is to part this one out. I only paid $500 for the whole thing, so…. My son already took the front drive shaft for his YJ over axle lift. Now I’m thinking of using the engine out of the 89 to build a stroker while I drive the one I working on now.

So to the question, can you build a descent stroker out of a non-HO 4.0? Should I look for a HO engine and convert everything over or should I just put one of my older heads on a HO block?

Thanks for the help!
Tom

ratherbcamping said:
Okay Dr. Dyno and other stroker experts, you got me hooked. I have an 89 XJ, 4.0, BA-10 (no laughing, I have a spare), 231. The 4.0 has a cracked block. According to previous owner, it was still running when they tore it down to fix a bad freeze plug under the manifolds, but when they pulled the manifolds off they found the crack and stopped there. They never put it back together. The crack is horizontal right under the freeze plugs in the block. Since the engine was still running up until that time, I assuming everything except the block is still good, but won’t know until tear down time.

I bought a 4.0 out of an 88 XJ for $130 and I’m in the process of cleaning it up. It’s getting all new gaskets and seals, new oil pump, water pump, etc. The bearings and cylinders look clean, so I’m taking my chances and putting it back together as is. I did have the head done by a local shop. So, the plan is to drop this engine in and see how it goes. I’m in no hurry as this is a toy and not a daily driver.

My latest purchase was another 89 XJ with 4.0, AW4, 231. It runs and drives, but the plan is to part this one out. I only paid $500 for the whole thing, so…. My son already took the front drive shaft for his YJ over axle lift. Now I’m thinking of using the engine out of the 89 to build a stroker while I drive the one I working on now.

So to the question, can you build a descent stroker out of a non-HO 4.0? Should I look for a HO engine and convert everything over or should I just put one of my older heads on a HO block?

Thanks for the help!
Tom

I'd argue you can build a BETTER stroker with Renix electronics than you can with HO electronics. Bone simple, easily tunable, knock sensor protects expensive parts if you have ot run crappy fuel.

If you can squeeze by the smog man, slap in an HO head, a 99+ intake, and HO TB, and you'de have a fine motor.

CRASH

ratherbcamping said:
Okay Dr. Dyno and other stroker experts, you got me hooked.

Now I’m thinking of using the engine out of the 89 to build a stroker while I drive the one I working on now.

So to the question, can you build a decent stroker out of a non-HO 4.0? Should I look for a HO engine and convert everything over or should I just put one of my older heads on a HO block?

Thanks for the help!
Tom

Ha ha ha, the Doc has infected you with strokeritis. :D
Since you already have the non-HO hardware and Renix electronics, you could certainly build a decent stroker using what you have. You could make it even better by swapping on a '91-'95 HO head (do a home port job on it), '91-'95 intake manifold with fuel rail, and '91-'95 HO TB (bored of course). You'll need to adapt the Renix TPS to the HO TB but that's not a big deal.

263hp@4900/321lbft@3300-3800, 1/4 mile = [email protected], 0-60 = 5.7secs
Websites - Jeep 4.0 Performance, 4.6L Stroker Build-Up, Dino's Jeep Tricks

Yes, any year 258 rods will work. They're all the same size and weight.
Any 258 crank from '72 onwards will also work but the pre-'87 cranks have a 1.0cm longer snout. You'll either need to have it trimmed or put a 1.0cm spacer in front of the crank pulley to keep it in perfect alignment with the other serpentine belt pulleys. I have a '72-'80 style 12-counterweight crank in my stroker and I used a spacer. The spacer was made by slicing 1.0cm from the rear flange of an old crank pulley on a lathe.

I agree with using the RENIX electronics with an HO top end I am verry happy with mine setup this way. The knock sensor is great with a higher compression engine and allows you to run 87 octane in a pinch without pinging.

Thanks guys.... Goal number one is to get the thing running and then build the stroker later. Now I can take my time and shop for some bargains. At least I have a shopping list now.

One more question. Since I'm going to look for a HO head and manifold setup anyway, would I be better off dumping my other non-HO 4.0 and try to find and entire 4.0 HO engine? Seems like a read somewhere that the newer blocks are more stable. Either way I have to modify the TPS, right?

Tom

The Doc got me also. I'm currently building a stroker out of an 89 4.0 Renix, and the 258 (4.2) out of my 82cj7. The block has been bored .060 over, I just picked up an extra Renix TB that will be bored out to 60mm. Using a 258 oem cam and currently working out the CR and the quench. Going to be great in my cj7. The hardest part of mine is going to be moving the wiring!

Good Luck with your build
Ken
Thanks Doc and Thanks 5-90, lots of info on this site

Back