• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Down hill tech ???

Thanks for the replies.
I understand that gearing down would slow me down, I do use gears on some of the less vertical stuff. I was just a little nervous to try it on something steeper because of the momentum it might generate.
Now I'm thinking a little speed and a good grip on the wheel might not be TOO bad. Might be fun lol.

Thanks for the help.

I don't do alot of wheeling, but when I have a steep decent I pull it into (auto tranny) 1-2 and either 4HI or 4LO depending on how steep the grade is. I usually don't use my brakes, but it depends on the terrain.

In 1-2 Gear and 4LO, my stockers creeps slowly. I usually have to give it gas .

RCP Phx said:
You should try to NEVER use your brakes when going downhill !

While this might be possible and true for manual trany rigs, it just isn't possible with an Automatic. I have 5.13 gears, 4:1 T-case, AW4 and there are times coming off obsticles/ledges/rocks where I am standing on the brakes. Also, on really steep descents I'm also on the brakes, although not as hard. My last trip to Moab in May we did some reallys steep ptretrified dunes, I had to be on the brakes while most of my friends in their Rubicons with manual trannies where just just rolling along with no brakes and no gas. I just don't get near the amount of compression braking that manual gets.

An automatic will never give as good a compression breaking as a manual. As soon the auto is put in gear, it pushes or attempts to push the vehicle against the breaks. Low TC gears along with low diff gears requires greater force applied to the break pedal to prevent the vehicle from moving.

A torque converter lockup help out in the compression breaking. Having really good breaks is even more important. I have one of Brent's AW4 Shifter. I helps reduce the amount of breaks I have to apply when descending steep hills and give me peace of mind.

While Ive never had any real issues when on the trail,I did have some towing my trailer to/from Ouray.Im definately looking into something like Brett's system to help with engine braking.I took my IR gauge with me to check out my new brakes,almost smoked them coming into Telluride.They were almost 400*.

techno1154 said:
An automatic will never give as good a compression breaking as a manual. As soon the auto is put in gear, it pushes or attempts to push the vehicle against the breaks. Low TC gears along with low diff gears requires greater force applied to the break pedal to prevent the vehicle from moving.

A torque converter lockup help out in the compression breaking. Having really good breaks is even more important. I have one of Brent's AW4 Shifter. I helps reduce the amount of breaks I have to apply when descending steep hills and give me peace of mind.

Mine is an auto as well. I know that my gears will over ride the brakes when I attempt this. That's why I figured it would be best to go down in nuetral. I understand that this is very dangerous because of the potential for brake failure but at the same time I didn't want to over ride them and slip. I know bigger and better brakes is an answer but that's not my original question.
From what I gather it's a little of both gears and brakes. I'll just have to stand on them a bit harder.

On the hill in question, I gave it a few tries before finally "getting it down". Each time I would fail, I'd throw it in nuetral and back down. The brakes (traction) would slip about every 6" or so. This is the easy part though. The top was alot steeper and it took 6psi and WOT (from the bottom) to get up and over.

Going back down is another story.

One of the best threads I've read so far.

This is probably one of my biggest complaints when wheelin' in the midwest. On descents, my auto shifts into second (on the 1-2) while I am trying to let the engine keep me slow. Next thing I know I am gaining speed and the end is coming around if wet and steep enough.

Any other solutions besides the wire rerouting?

mjack said:
One of the best threads I've read so far.

This is probably one of my biggest complaints when wheelin' in the midwest. On descents, my auto shifts into second (on the 1-2) while I am trying to let the engine keep me slow. Next thing I know I am gaining speed and the end is coming around if wet and steep enough.

Any other solutions besides the wire rerouting?

Won't that happen if you allow the speed to increase to a point where the trans shifts into 2nd? I mean I think the problem is ridding the brakes, I think tapping on them to keep the speed down would be acceptable. This probably isn't a great idea, but setting the parking brake would help slow your decent, and you would then maintain the braking power of the front disc brakes. Worse case is you get heat failure from the rear drums. Well I guess worse case would be a fire. lol

Back