• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Door Rattle

Para32

NAXJA Forum User
My door rattles really bad on bumps. I took the door panel off and found nothing inside. It seems like its the entire door or the window in the frame. When I drive over bumps I push on window and on door frame hoping to block the rattle.....nothing.

Its driving me nuts. Has anyone had a similar problem?

Unlike a rear hatch or rear door rattle, its RIGHT THERE! its 6" away from my head and I can each over an push on the door frame and glass with my hand....nothing!

Are the rods inside banging around? There are rods for lock and handle, supposed to be some foam isolators in there to keep them banging on each other but not all jeeps had them and some have just broken and rotted away. Team Cherokee used to sell replacements, still might, you can make your own easy enough

Funny you should mention that. At first I thought it was those two rods clanking on each other. There is the foam and there is this cloth sleeve that goes around the rods. Went to a junkyard and got two more of those cloth sleeves and put it on rods and put all back together......no change.

I think its the whole entire door or the window bouncing around. Problem is that when I take door panel off and inspect window everything looks OK. Hinges on door are not loose.

Stimied

Another thing I did to mine for internal rattle, some of the parts were literally tearing the sheet metal from momentum when the door was closed. Drill and punch the rivets, replace them with short screws and lock nuts, with rubber washers between the sheet metal and the component (window regulator, power lock motor, etc)

Rivet_Replacements.sized.jpg

Something else to check, open the door and grab it from the back, can you lift the whole thing around? Hinge welds are a common failure, and can make the whole door jiggle around in the frame

Back