• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Done with the swap

was anything done with the trans mount to move it back? im doing the same swap and i bolted up my trans and it looks like it will have to move 3" back so the motor can bolt to it and the motor mounts and did you mod the firewall?

I drilled four new holes and moved the cross member back. I had to cut the floor pan to get access to the back of the bolts. I attached the cross member to the tranny first then jacked it up to mark the holes, then drilled, then put the bolts in thru the top.

Last edited:
i beat the firewall back with a sledge, and had to drill the frame for the trans mount. i also "grafted" the front of my old 93 front end, onto the 86 so the 4.0L radiator would fit.

sounds good i need to get my motor in then ill deal with the tranny though im going to use all the 4.0 wiring and cab wiring so it should be pretty simple would you suggest getting the wiring in first or motor and trans first?

2 things:

Chrome wont get you home, but chrome on old cherokees looks AWSOME! honestly there is something about your jeep that just makes it look so good, is that factory paint? are those stock tails, never seen them before.

keep the 2.8L badge :D

New pizza wagon?

When I first read this I thought he was referring to the wheels...then I noticed the dominos sign! hahahahahaha

but if thats your job, wish you would deliver to my house!

It worked out well for me to put the engine in first then drop in the wiring harness in because I had to lift and drop the engine several times b4 getting the holes lined up on the motor mounts. I Had to cut a hole in the firewall for the computer wire harness to go through, I wish I would have cut the hole first because the engine got in the way when I was trying to cut the hole. Be careful because the heater coil is right behind the firewall directly behind the glove box so dont hit it when you are drilling the hole.

Last edited:
The computer harness plug is huge and the hole you have to make is really big unless you cut and make a smaller hole then solder the wires back. I wish i would have done this because now I have to seal that hole around the wire and keep it from being cut by the metal around it.

I was afraid to do that because mine was in the cab on my Cherokee so I thought maybe it was heat sensitive and I didn't want to get it wet when I go throuh big mud holes.

i have filled my cab with water to my chest going through a creek crossing..... they only problem i had was a craw-fish shorted out the stereo fuse LOL

Back