• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Documentation of Cherokee V8 swap using drivers side drop equipment from Chevrolet fu

Scatterbrained

NAXJA Forum User
Documentation of Cherokee V8 swap using drivers side drop equipment from Chevrolet full size 4X4.

I started my swap with a donor truck. The donor truck was a 1975 GMC K10. The truck came with a Small Block 350, a TH350 automatic, and an NP203 transfer case. The axles are a Dana 44 front and Corporate 12 bolt in the back. We will cover the swap in the order I proceed in order to thoroughly show how “Simply Difficultly Easy” the process is. This project will include rebuilding the 350 and swapping to a newer slush box and transfer case. I will provide pictures as they are available. I will photographically document difficult or tricky areas as they show up.

So, as they say, SIT DOWN, SHUT UP, AND HOLD ON, CAUSE HERE WE GO.

Axles

The bitter end, or getting it right out back.

I tackled the axles first because I felt it the best place to start. After removing everything from the parts truck I took measurements and began with the rear end.
Jeep Cherokee XJ axle perch width is 43.75" center to center. 21 7/8" from center line of axle. Relocate 5/8" outboard. GM axle perch width is 42.5" center to center. This is most easily accomplished with the purchase of new spring perches and simply grinding off the old ones.
Due to the fact that I don't know exactly what pinion angle I will need yet, I chose to simply tack weld them into place until I have everything in place for the final assembly.
For those of you in need of pictures. I will provide them soon.

Back