• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Do I need up upgrade my transfer case?

That's why I said close to stock. You assumed I meant not quite stock, which is a different statement.

I think the OP needs to decide what he's doing. Are you upgrading to a 44 in the front? Why spend the money to regear the 30?

You don't need 4 to 1 or 2low to daily drive your jeep with the occasional trail ride. You don't need to regear it for that matter. You don't even need a SYE. I drove without one with 33's and 4.5" of lift for 3 years.

You're throwing out a ton of options and variables. You need to sit down and decide what you want to do with your jeep right now and then do it. The what if's and the nice to haves that are coming later have to be planned for later.

The reason to gear my d30 is because I don't have the funds to do both axles the way I want to ( arb lockers,superior axle shafts etc) so I figure do the rear completely snd the front half ass for now the gears and no locker and later install a d44 arb with the works.

I just bought both the axles and as I save money I work on them. When there done I will install both at the same time then sell my stock stuff for $300.00 if I'm lucky. (they do have 4:10's already) at that point I plan to buy my SYE and have a rear drive line built. I figure this way my junk is only not road worthy for a couple weeks.

Why are you ditching the 8.25? I mean there not a 8.8 but 29 splines are not that bad anymore. You can get 4:88's an ARB and I think 1541 shafts for them all from Randy's. I wouldn't think you could break one with 35's after that. Then you would have more money for a HP44 front but your still stuck with 4:88's

Dave

The 8.8 is very nice, but then when you break a shaft on the trail, you have to pop the cover the remove the C clip. Thats why I went with a 44 rear, no C clips

The 8.8 is very nice, but then when you break a shaft on the trail, you have to pop the cover the remove the C clip. Thats why I went with a 44 rear, no C clips

Shit argument every single broken rear shaft I have seen has not come out whole and required the cover removed anyway. Next arguement is you will loose the shaft...drive that d44 for any bit of time past off the trail and you are replacing a lot of shit.

To answer your original question, no you don't need to upgrade your NP231. My buddy runs one with just an SYE on D60s with 39" tires.

Put the SYE in and be done with it. Unless you're on some serious trails, I doubt you'll need the 4:1.

Drop the 8.8 out back, no need to upgrade the shafts in it until you're over 35" tires.

Don't put a ton of money into the D30 either especially if you want a D44.

Back