• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Do I need an alignment again if I got new tires?

i did the math really quick...

1 degree of toe in results in :
.610" toe in on a 35" tire
.503" toe in on a 29" tire (thats stock right? its been so long...)

this is if you are measuring in your driveway. personally... i can catch 100 thou difference with a tape measure. considering the recommended tape measure alignment is 1/16-1/8" (.0625-.125") toe in, that seems excessive to me (the machinist in me says thats a mile). i do agree that toe on an alignment rack does get measure in degrees. ive bent a lot of steering and my driveway alignment always comes up green when i get it checked. now, will that 100 thou make your tires wear prematurely? i dont know... but my tires dont wear fast, funny, scallop, or cup... :dunno:

Yea, that sounds about right, I was just doing it in my head in my post. I think the factory manual had 2 measurements for toe. 1 was for 2 wheel drive and that was 1/16" toe in and the other was for 4 wheel drive and that was 0"-1/16" (due in part of the effect of the front wheels being pulled forward under power) I'm pretty sure, next time I go out to the garage, I'll look it up in the manual.
When I was doing front end alignments for a living, I would make the appropriate adjustments and then stand in the middle in front of the front axle and push outward on the inside of the front tires and then remeasure. Doing this simulates the vehicle being driven down the road with the tendency for the front of the wheels to be pushed outwards and back. The manually pushing outwards of the tires also takes all of the slack out of all of the front end components, however little or much there may be, and makes for a better toe in alignment.

If you want to be really nitpicky, you could always put a set of stock sized tires on the front axle when doing to toe in adjustment.

Toe-in is used to correct for the tire's trying to spread out at road speeds and under breaking. The factory measurements are assuming original tire size and perfect joints and bushings. Once you get some wear in the front end and go to larger tires, you may need to play around with different toe settings to compensate for that. Ultimately try for factory specs, but don't be surprised if you need up to 1/4 inch of toe-in to keep the tires from wearing strange and/or keep the front end straight under hard breaking.

Back