• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

ditch your stock rear sway bar

streetpirate

NAXJA Forum User
after years of denial, I removed my stock rear sway bar. I was expecting a little sloppier handling. That's not what I got.
The stock rear sway bar must bind the rear suspension in some way, as my ride over broken pavement, potholes, and speed bumps has smoothed out. Also, after I welded in the HD Offroad frame stiffeners the road handling became strange and twitchy in medium speed (35mph) and faster corners. More than likely this was because without the 300k unibody flexing as much, the rear suspension was less compliant than the front, giving it an oversteering tendency that upset the road feel in normal driving conditions.

since the rear bar is so small, I attribute it's effects more to binding than as working like a normal sway bar. Its easy to get out, 6 bolts plus removing one back tire.

Overall, my ride comfort has increased and the feel and balance during normal driving and cornering has improved.

First thing I threw away on my old jeep, this one got ditched before I bought it.

Really? Just toss it? I'm asking because my 96 2wd feels very "unsettled" at the rear at just about any speed. It's like it has a slight side to side motion (not constant) that I can feel in the seat of my pants. I know it's probably time for new shocks but I've been puzzling over this wierd feeling for a long time. If you get on the gas in a corner there is a definite oversteer. What do you think? Should I just remove it?

Have you checked your bushings in the rear?

Rear Swaybar delete is pretty common. The 1" factory lifted models don't even come with them.

The swaybar is small, but does offer "some" aversion to body roll in the rear. It will prevent flex, and reduces body roll slightly. I does not "bind" any more than a front sway bar.

-Ron

On a stock suspension, the rear sway does very little as it is woefully undersized for any real hadling gain. One you change the CG, all bets are off and the best use for it is as raw material to build things.

Have you checked your bushings in the rear?

Yes, but what would bad bushings look like? They don't look to bad to me but they could be worn.

I found another thread (http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=1045577&highlight=remove+rear+sway+bar) and I quote:
If you run empty in back? It may handle BETTER with out the bar.
The springs, shocks and bars are all setup to work there best at about 1/2 the max load. IN MOST CASES.

My Jeep is not lifted but the back is "cleaned out" so it's a little lighter in the back than normal I guess. I suppose I could remove the bar and see what happens and then if I don't like try new bushings.

I just ditched it when I swapped in an 8.25 rear axle with ZJ rear discs. I, too was in denial having been a sports car guy along with an off-road guy. The ride is noticeably better over rough surfaces and I can't tell a difference in handling at all.

I wanted to replace mine as well. With something thicker or a torsional swaybar, like most
over at Jeepspeed.

I think the reason behind not feeling much different for most is because most people don't drive their Jeep aggressively enough on pavement with a low profile high bite tire. At least I know I can feel it and I know I need a stronger one for me.

I decided to get rid of mine, I have a modest 2" lift with HD springs and rancho shocks. I noticed no difference with the rear sway bar gone. Maybe even the placebo effect making it feel nicer too.

I tested things out on a nice sweeping S curve at 50mph and felt no body roll or anything uneasy at all. I have taken turns at my usual speed with no signs of problems. The first few days I was taking it extra easy just to see how it feels but now I have full confidence.

Installed the Addco (516) 1.125" front sway bar and a set of greasable poly bushings.
The difference between the stock swaybar and the Addco was quite dramatic.....
Just checked todays prices and they have gone up....; three years ago I paid $170 which included shipping...

aco-516_w.jpg

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/ACO-516/

Charles

I have them on a 3.5" lift. Front has JKS QDs and on the rear stock links. It was a bit tight on the rear with the disc brakes and different spring plates, but I made it fit.

As for getting one, check places like ebay and Jeepforum. I got the bar used for $70 and a set of slightly used OME shocks for the ZJ for $50, at least jeepforum is good for something.

Installed the Addco (516) 1.125" front sway bar and a set of greasable poly bushings.
The difference between the stock swaybar and the Addco was quite dramatic.....
Just checked todays prices and they have gone up....; three years ago I paid $170 which included shipping...

aco-516_w.jpg

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/ACO-516/

Charles

Pretty sure that, although rare, 1 1/8 bars were found OEM on some trims.

Back